Am i missing my ESP light??

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
so ive been having trouble recently and failed my NCT because my ESP button doesnt light up on the dash.

Today i took off the steering angle sensor for a look as it was throwing up a code (mechanical failure) but it actually looked perfect.

Ill probably try get my hands on a replacement... however...

I did a cluster output test on VCDS as i got it in my head that maybe the previous owner removed the bulb

Here is the result

rn3Ndg1.jpg

Am i actually missing the ESP dash light?????

Also, is there any way in VCDS to tell me if ESP is on/off

have a read at this

found here
http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...n-V6/page2&s=5372fafb37c5886fd8c63d452252a618

Found this interesting post on a TDI forum regarding the MK60 ABS module that someone is also having difficulty finding correct codes to disable it (not the same as mine either)

I did figure out that if you unplug a "yaw" sensor it disables the real ESP and the ASR (traction control part of it). Cool thing is that as when you plug it back in the light goes right off. It doesn't store a code or anything. That and when you unplug the ESP switch it doesn't mess anything up. MEANING I'm off to unplug my ESP (leaving it's plug hang) and splice the esp switch into the yaw sensor wiring so when I hit the switch it truly disables everything and not traction control only. The only hiccup I've found is it that the ESP switch is a momentary switch so you have to get another switch that isn't (Like the defrost or I found a foglight switch from an Audi on ebay that fits the same slot). You have to switch faces of the switch and do some minor mod to the tabs. I haven't done it yet but this is what I've figured out and plan and do. Wish me luck

This might be a viable option - disable a YAW sensor and/or wire in a simple switch on it so it is possible to really disable the ESP via a switch. Hoping that won't affect the ABS though, would like to keep that, but turn everything else off.entions yaw sensor

#

not a bad idea... however, all i need is an ESP light to appear on the cluster when i press the button, as it should.. This has been a problem since i bought the car.

When the ESP is switched off, where should the icon on the cluster be?

Ok so today I replaced my steering angle sensor and still no esp light.

It's looking like the only thing left is to check if the previous owner has removed the bulb.. So j guess I'm gonna have to rip the clocks apart!!

5 min job to take the clocks out, would think its more tricky opening them up.
have you tried the yaw sensor?

mark

It won't be a bulb.. all illumination is LED... whats more likely happened is a previous owner has removed the clocks and stuck a bit of tape where the ESP light should light up to mask a problem for selling the car...

Seeing as you have reported an issue with the steering angle sensor in a previous post its most likely tied in with that

<tuffty/>

Yeah i replaced the steering angle sensor yesterday and cleared the codes so ill check after work if the code has returned. ...then im gonna have a go at taking the clocks apart.
tonight.
I suspect the previous owner probably thought it was handier to black out the ESP light than replace the steering angle sensor which is nuts as i had the job done in 15 minutes.

Just one question regarding taking the clocks apart. I remember once when i dismantled my mk2 golf clocks, i had trouble getting the needle to be in the right place afterwards. Is the any tips on how to do it before i start.

Absolutely unbelievable..... I took out my clocks and sure enough..... ESP light has been completely filled up with *****!!!!........I have spent many many hours trying to figure this out and its all come down to the previous owners absolut botch job. Im hoping his reasoning for this was because of the steering angle fault which i replaced yesterday.... Ill put the clocks back in now and cross my fingers!!

1UXXtWI.jpg

Reactions: <tuffty/> and Lodhiz
Absolutely unbelievable..... I took out my clocks and sure enough..... ESP light has been completely filled up with *****!!!!........I have spent many many hours trying to figure this out and its all come down to the previous owners absolut botch job. Im hoping his reasoning for this was because of the steering angle fault which i replaced yesterday.... Ill put the clocks back in now and cross my fingers!!

Happens more often than you think..

<tuffty/>

Put the clocks back in. Everything perfect... Although typically enough I have no brake lights :) fix one thing, another breaks

Reactions: epox

1UXXtWI.jpg
cant believe someone would do this and like you say, it was a 15min job to sort out!! my ESP light has been on, turns out it was just a pressure sensor, bought a new one, fitted, all done, at NO point did I ever think to remove the clocks and shove some tape or whatever to cover the LED!!