1000 mile oil change?

m2srt

Reaction score
Has anybody had any issues with requesting an oil change at a 1000 miles? Would a main stealer facilitate this or would they use the old 'modern engines no longer require this' blurb? Also, how much would this cost? Would love to hear if anyone has done this.

The local dealer told me he's never even heard of anyone doing it.

Doing mine myself at 4k and 6 months. Dealer wants stupid money just to change oil/filter!!!!

I had mine done at the Dealership, they even added it to the online service history. Why wouldn't they do it?

I've got mine booked in for an oil and filter change in a couple of weeks. My dealer knows I'm odd about getting the oil changed after 2500-3000 miles so no questions from him! I negotiated a free one when I bought my TT but blast I forgot to do the same with the A3 but he's done me a special price anyway.

Are you going to change the gearbox oil as well. After all the are more moving parts and bearings in the gearbox than the engine.

I'm on my 9th A3 and every one has had it's first oil change at around 18k miles when the car indicated it was required. The car comes from the factory filled with fully synthetic oil designed to last this length of time and Audi are quite happy to give the car a warranty for 3 years so must be happy with their oil change recommendations.

If you have money to throw away perhaps you should give it to a charity.

Dave, you seem to change your cars every 2 years so still in warranty. A lot of people keep their cars a lot longer and post warranty so are keen to keep their oil at its best and not the stretched intervals that fleet managers want which don't do great things for long term engine life.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index....-as-a-consequence-Oil-Pickup-pipe-etc.168840/

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index....STIONS-ON-THE-8V-CHASSIS.198794/#post-2288944

On my previous A3 I did change the gearbox oil after 5 years and it was still going fine after 11 years.

John.

Are you going to change the gearbox oil as well. After all the are more moving parts and bearings in the gearbox than the engine.

I'm on my 9th A3 and every one has had it's first oil change at around 18k miles when the car indicated it was required. The car comes from the factory filled with fully synthetic oil designed to last this length of time and Audi are quite happy to give the car a warranty for 3 years so must be happy with their oil change recommendations.

If you have money to throw away perhaps you should give it to a charity.

As you seem to change your cars much more than me and they cost a lot more than my oil change perhaps YOU should donate your money to charity ;)

Reactions: Martinbanshee
I've heard of Audis with engine failure which on strip down have revealed sludge clogged oil pickups. The cars in question were on a long life service schedule... That's good enough for me to be changing the oil on mine more regularly. After all I'm keeping mine for 10 yrs plus so to me a can of oil every 6 months is a small price. Cheaper than a new engine anyway!!..

Reactions: glospete
But are you going to change the gearbox oil as well or will you leave that in there for the life of the car or 40k miles in the case of a wet-clutch s-tronic. Surely that does in fact more work than the engine oil.

By all means change to oil at a shorter interval if you are going to keep the car for a long time but surely 1,000 miles as suggested by the OP is a bit silly given the way modern engines are produced.

glospete: I already do a lot of work for a national charity as well as giving regular payments to quite a number.

Dave - as you are claiming gearbox oil does more work than engine oil then why is it not listed in the Audi service schedule and usually listed as change not needed? (or 38k on wet clutch) but engine oil has a scheduled change interval up to ~19k miles.

Sorry Dave, your logic doesn't stack up.

Initial change at 1k or 2k is to clear any metal particles during run-in and bedding in. After all, the metal from those bore and piston ring seals sealing has to go somewhere.

PembsA3 - Engine failure link is the top one in my post #9 above.

Last edited:
Reactions: glospete
When I dropped the oil out of my mk6 GTI after a 1000 miles, the oil was full of little specks of metal! These were, I assume, from the rings bedding into the cylinder wall. Glad I changed the oil and will be doing the same when my S3 hits a 1000 miles. Just think what they could do floating about in your oil for 10,000 miles .

I go my is my own personal experience of VW/Audi cars. I have owned 17 since 1976 with the largest mileage being 60,000 and several at around 45,000. All have had oil changes according to the VW/Audi recommendations including the nine A3s, all of which have been on the 'long-life' interval with the first oil change at around 18k miles. I have never had the slightest engine problem with any of them.

I now change my car at around or just before it's three years old. I love modern cars and all the technology that goes with them and the thought of driving around in a older car does not appeal at all. Also as I go on holiday at least once a year to Germany I need a car that will meet the latest engine emission standards in order to obtain an 'Unwelt' disc which allows me to take my car into German towns and cities. They have much higher standards in many more places than in the UK which is one reasons why the Audi plants makes engines with better and better emission standards.

But it's each to his own. If anyone wants to change the engine oil more often the I'm sure the oil companies will welcome their purchase. As far as metal particles floating around in the engine oil, surely this is why engine oil filters are fitted. If it makes you feel better by changing the oil more frequently that the manufacturer of the engine recommends then by all means do so. I assume you would also change the other items included in a normal service such as the air filter and fuel filter as I assume dirty air and petrol or diesel going into the cylinders can also have a harmful effect.

I have to keep this S3 longer 9-10 years also, most of driving will be shorter distances I therefore feel that the 'time distance' service plan will, in the long term, reduce the probability of any issues arising down to over extended gaps between oil changes.

My wife has an Audi A1 and only does around 5,000 miles a year so we have her car set to the 'time interval' servicing. When I was working I used to do 20-25,000 miles a year but now I'm retired it's down to around 12,000 miles. My current A3 has done just under 10,000 miles since 1 March, but 3,000 of those were done on our recent holiday to Germany.

Engine oil is subjected to constant changes in temperature and also picks up contaminants from the combustion process along with moisture hence the reason for the drastic and quick change in colour.

It was my personal choice to have a change at 1000 miles. Although my car is on variable servicing I'm sure it will get changed at very low mileage readings as I don't do all that many miles a year. The time requirement will kick in well before the mileage necessitates an oil change.

Spoke to my dealer today on this matter, he actually has pretty impressive mechanical knowledge. Anyway he said that he can't advise people to change oil after such a short distance as its not in line with Audi's servicing schedule but, in his opinion, it is a good idea especially on S and RS models. So the car will be going in at or around the 1000 mile mark and this will also be logged in its service history, so happy days!

I guess it would depend alot upon how the car is driven and the driving conditions...

I had my first oil service early at 6500 miles / 11 months. No harm in having more services over the course of ownership, it always looks good when you comes to selling the car on.

However you can't actually see when the car's been serviced without a written service record. It's all electronic now..

They are supposed to put a paper copy in the sleeve in the Service Booklet.

Something I have yet to experience, on our mazda, that also had an electronic service record, all we were given was a payment receipt...

"The Digital Service Schedule is the new way of recording and protecting your Audi service history. All vehicles built from November 2012 onwards will now have their entire service history stored electronically in a secure online database.

Your Audi Centre will provide you with a print-out of the service record each time you visit."

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/servicing-maintenance-mot/servicing-your-audi.html

Reactions: cuke2u
It seems to me it's just another way that Audi (and others) are trying to persuade you to have your vehicle serviced with them rather than an independent.
Whilst you no longer lose warranty (thanks to the EU rules) keeping a record if you go independent has become that much more difficult.

Surely it's just the way Audi has decided to do things, a bit like paperless bank and utilities statements. If you have work done by other than an Audi dealer all you need to do is keep the receipts showing what work was done and produce these with any Audi information.

It seems to me it's just another way that Audi (and others) are trying to persuade you to have your vehicle serviced with them rather than an independent.

Bit of a cynical view.

On the positive side, it will reduce fraud, from those that make up Audi Stamps and just stamp and fill in the service book to make it look like a FASH car.

As Dave says above, all you need to do is to keep the receipts and details from an Indy.

I would most likely change the oil myself... if I do, since I'm not a massive mileage driver (in my own car anyway).

The vans at work are now about 3 months old - we drive all over the country in them, and they just had their first ever service which was overdue by 10,000 miles - mileage was about 29-33k - unbelievable. No wonder the sound rattly now haha, maybe not helped that everyone drives them hard too.

I thought 20k miles set by the lease company was bad enough, but for them to not get out quick enough to service them by a few months caused them to have about 33k before they got their first oil change! :ambivalence: