SD Card / Music options (2012 A3)

rbb1986

Reaction score
Hi guys
First post here. Picked up my A3 today, have been dreaming for 5+ years lol and it has landed.

Always wanted a white 3 door S-line and got a good deal on a 2 year old, Quattro, 2.0Tdi Black Edition with 25k miles. Previous car until this morning was a 14 year old Astra so I am on cloud 9 with the Audi!

I had thought there would be a slot available to insert an SD card with music on. I've now read more and think this is only a feature if you have a sat nav, is that correct?

I have the Audi Concert head unit. Bose Sound System. I pod glove box prep. I've never use apple products, and would ideally like to either stream music via bluetooth from a phone, or use an SD Card.

My question - what options do I have for music? Am I limited by the fact I have no Sat-nav? I have read about AMI/MMI etc but don't think I have any of those features. I have 'Bluetooth phone prep' but again have read that this is nothing to do with streaming music, just calls.

Is the cheapest and most obvious option to bite the bullet and buy an ipod? Only reason I'm against this right now is that I read that the integration between the ipod and audi is slow and full of errors.

Thanks

The RNSE unit (with Sat Nav) has two SD slots behind the mechanised screen. I don't have the Audi Concert head so I'm not sure what features this has. I note you say the car has iPod prep in the glove box. What sort of connection is this? I also take it there is no CD changer anywhere in the car?
The Audi iPod interface is renowned for being a bit rubbish and only has limited functionality anyway. Sort of emulates a CD changer so you don't get full control over the iPod.
Best bet might be an upgrade to an RNSE mark 2 unit.

Yeah +1 on the RSNE ..... Superb bit of kit .. All the music you could ever need....

Thanks for the replies, that unit looks really impressive.
Can these be fairly easily fitted if you are fairly competent or does it have to go into Audi?
Edit: Just checked more pics and I'm confused is this a unit that pops up above the dash or is it a replacement for the concert head unit?

Last edited:
It replaces your unit. Sometimes it can just be a question of plug and play and sometimes the units need coding via VCDS.

There are a number of folk on the site who can professionally retrofit for you if you don't think your skills are up to it. I'm sure they will be along soon to offer their services - where are you based?

people use the bluetooth dongle that fits into the ipod connection but u dont get any info on whats playing/streaming but if your using spotify you wouldnt anyway just *cd1* e.t.c.

also i'm in cardiff with full vcds if u need any coding done for beer tokens

At the risk of being shot down, have you considered an aftermarket head unit with a SD, DVD and bluetooth? Its not hard to fit, can be cheaper than RNSE and very easy to go back to standard when selling the car?

Haven't considered aftermarket, will definitely look into options though. Any specific units you'd recommend?
Really do like the look of the Rnse although it's a few quid might have to wait til Xmas lol.

I should be fine fitting head unit, was just worried about fitting if it was a 'pop up type' at back of dash.
In Gateshead area north east.

Any other opinions on rnse vs aftermarket ?

Aftermarket units are more advanced and more flexible, however the rnse is the only one that will integrate fully with the car and not look out of place in the dash.
You may experience slight radio reception issues due to the different antenna used on the rnse(this can be addressed) and the sat nav is clunky without full postcodes but is IMO the only way to go.

One last question regarding the unit: Does it need to be 'activated' by audi ? I've read that Audi have to activate navigation systems and it costs hundreds? Or is that only certain systems?

Really keen on an rnse, they look smart and looks like they'd be easy to shift on ebay when eventually selling.

You may need some vcds coding which can be done by any member with a vcds cable, but it should work ok right out of the box

My mate has the computer for programming/checking faults etc on audi/vw/seat - is the vcds coding cable likely to be included with that? Or is it a specific radio/head unit programming cable?
I think it's more than just a basic diagnostic machine it cost quite a bit and said it can be used for programming.

For RNSE all you need is access to VCDS cable to do some coding modification to your car. There are many people on this forum with this cable, who can help you out with this: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/index.php?pages/VCDS-Map/

The aftermarket options are many and varied. Some look very out of place, some not so much. Almost all of them will give you the option of configuring the illumination to match the Audi red, which is nice. I used Kenwood and Pioneer in the past, both are good options and cater to many budgets. All good aftermarket HUs will give you volume, mute, track back/forward controls using the multi-function steering wheel. Radio reception has been a pain in the past, but only due to people using incorrect aerial adaptors for their cars. My current setup has the same reception quality as the original Audi unit.

Pioneer or Sony have good options if you want to integrate a compatible phone completely with the head unit and have a selection of apps fully controllable from the HU touch screen. If you are technically-minded and own an Android phone, it is even possible to have full mirroring and control of your phone from the HU, which opens up the option of using any naviation app (Google Maps, Waze, etc), music streaming (Google Music, Spotify, Soundcloud, etc) or even apps like Torque directly on your headunit with your phone hidden away. Obviously making hands-free calls is possible too :) I'm planning on making a guide on how to do this once I get my new LG G3 and figure it out.

Thanks for the reply mate, the idea of linking with android sounds tempting (got everything linked up in the house). But still definitely swinging toward the rnse unit for the sake of it being Audi and although it is expensive looks like it'll still sell for a decent price in a few years.

You said your current set up is as good reception as Audi - Out of interest what is your set up now?

Will changing from Concert to RNSE affect sound quality of music at all? I'm presuming it doesn't make a difference - although possibly some extra customization options?

Fair enough, just thought I'd mention the option :)

I have a Pioneer AVH-X8600BT and used the following wiring adapters to hook it up, when I replaced the OEM head unit:

Connects2 CT23AU02A facia kit to make the unit sit flush with the dashboard
Connects2 CTSAD006.2 wiring harness with a Pioneer stalk adapter for MFSW to work. This adapter has adjustable attenuation per channel and helps to reduce the speaker noise to barely audible levels.
Connects2 CT27AA87 twin Fakra connector to DIN Antenna Adaptor. This adapter is the key as many 'professional;' installers use the single adapter, which is wrong as you only use one of the two aerials for radio, whcih is sub-optimal.

Edit: Obviously, these adapters are specific to a fully-amplified Bose system on 8P S3

Last edited:
That Pioneer does look a nice unit mate - even more expensive than the rnse on amazon it must be decent! Bluetooth compatibility sounds good as well, my old faithful wharfdale unit in previous car was great for bluetooth music.

Can't believe the 'suggested' units below your pioneer on amazon - £900+ Jesus!

Yeah, my unit is not the cheapest, but has some nifty features. I bought it new from a shop on ebay for £450 from Italy, so not as expensive as Amazon. I really wanted the removable facia with a big screen, so that made the choice for me.

connects2 actually does a unit that will fit your existing headunit allowing you to play music from ipod, aux, sd card or usb stick or a combination of 3 of the 4 mentioned

I have an older car and a connects2 unit with USB/SD/Aux, cost me about £60 I think

only thing is it doesn't support track ID on the display

Thanks for the reply mate, the idea of linking with android sounds tempting (got everything linked up in the house). But still definitely swinging toward the rnse unit for the sake of it being Audi and although it is expensive looks like it'll still sell for a decent price in a few years.

You said your current set up is as good reception as Audi - Out of interest what is your set up now?

Will changing from Concert to RNSE affect sound quality of music at all? I'm presuming it doesn't make a difference - although possibly some extra customization options?
You can get RNSE mk2 fitted of reputable eBay sellers for around £400.

The sound will be better using the RNSE, you will need it coding for the right sound system, standard or Bose too.