B8 or B14s?

pompeysteve

Reaction score
My S3 has been my daily driver for over 3 years and 50k miles, but now has been promoted/relegated to my weekend fun car.

With this in mind its time to replace the tired struts. My first choice was the bilsein b8s keeping my eibach springs, but currently there are sets of b14 coilovers on ebay for not much more. Just to confuse the issue!

I know the B8s are highly regarded my many and just wondered if anyone has experienced both as a direct comparison.
The biggest problem i have with the OEM dampers is rear end squat under acceleration, im hoping to eliminate this if possible

Thanks in advance

Only used B8's so can't really compare, from what i've read on the B14's they are fixed rate dampers so probably a very similar spec to the B8's, if you want to go lower B14 and sell the Eibach's on, firmer dampers you would probably need the B16's cost a bit more though.

Thanks for the reply Andy, the B16s or Kw equivalent are great in theory, but if im totally honest I tend to get lost with too much adjustability (bad enough on my mountainbike!).
I quite like how the car sits as it is on eibachs, but thought bringing the back down slightly might firm up the rear springs on coilovers. But would that also put more wieght on the back and increase understear??
Looks like B8s might still be favourite

My car is not A3 but I too have Eibach lowering springs and am going to replace the standard shocks with B8's which I would have done by now but Bilstein had no stocks of the shockers for my car till the end of October. They are a good deal cheaper if you order them from Germany on Ebay.
From what I have read because the B8'S are high pressure shocks they may actually raise the ride height slightly. You would get a better ride quality with shocks and springs than coilovers, but if you want the ultimate handling then usually the lower the better.
Raising or lowering the rear end doesn't alter the weight balance of the car, there is still the same amount of weight on the rear of the car.
If you are taking the car on track are you using semi slick track day tyres or normal road tyres. ?

Have a look at this seller and see how much the prices are

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/autoteilebox/m.html?

Judging by your forum name are you anywhere near Portsmouth because I think thats where Prawn is from and you won't find a much better handling car than his.

Karl.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Karl, they are significantly cheaper there aren't they.

As far as the weight thing goes, when I used to help set up a mates racecar we could alter cross weights just by adjusting ride heights, but I suppose we were just talking small percentages!

I've not tracked the S3 yet as it's been my daily, maybe next summer i'll give it a run out.

As you say you can alter corner weights with coilovers but that is geting quite sophisticated and as soon as you have a passenger it would all change.
If you want to track it I would get some road legal track tyres, you can then take it to the track and back on the same set of wheels. There is a significant difference in the tyre performance as well.
I got a set of wheels and tyres from Tyreleader to use on the track
Not tried these on the track yet but having them on the car on the road there is a lot more grip than the eagle F1 tyres I have on the car and that is without getting them hot as they would be on a track. Quite impressed with them in the wet as well, wouldn't normally expect a track slick to have good wet grip.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/federal/595-rs-r/235-45-r17-94w-144727

Karl.