A6 what transmission to go for

ell107

Reaction score
Hi im new on here but im looking for a a6 estate and im stuck between 2.0tdi or the 2.7 and either manual or automatic? Any info on both engines and boxes would be great as im looking for the most reliable one so i know what i want and what to look for thanks in advance

The manual box in the allroad is great, but first and second gear are quite short which makes pulling away quickly a bit of a ballache, you have to be quite involved. If i was getting another I'd try and go for an auto, I think it suits the car better.

If your looking for reliable then the only choice is manual for the above engines. If you could get the 3.0TDI then the auto box would be my choice.

Multitronic fitted to a 2.0 or non quattro 2.7 are reliable if the gearbox has had oil/filter change every 40k miles without a gap. My view is there's more of them about so more threads with faults on them? I rarely seen threads or posts of people stating wow it's been x mileage/ownership time and my car runs perfect.

The later multitronics (07+ cars) have the improved internals I think from reading stuff on web.

But if you compare the driver experience of a multitronic vs a tiptronic you probably wouldn't want the multi and happier with the tip.

Perhaps look for a 2.7 quattro auto as that will be tiptronic but then a 3.0 is probably better? The 2.7 is derived from the 3.0 and share most parts.

Last edited:
Multitronic fitted to a 2.0 or non quattro 2.7 are reliable if the gearbox has had oil/filter change every 40k miles without a gap. My view is there's more of them about so more threads with faults on them? I rarely seen threads or posts of people stating wow it's been x mileage/ownership time and my car runs perfect.

The later multitronics (07+ cars) have the improved internals I think from reading stuff on web.

But if you compare the driver experience of a multitronic vs a tiptronic you probably wouldn't want the multi and happier with the tip.

Perhaps look for a 2.7 quattro auto as that will be tiptronic but then a 3.0 is probably better? The 2.7 is derived from the 3.0 and share most parts.
Remember you need to factor in £169 bill every 40k miles for the service and it is not something that just any old mechanic can do. OP does not mention the age of vehicle he is considering but 2.0l cars post facelift have the CR engine which is more reliable and does not suffer the dreaded oil pump drive shaft problem

Reactions: gupsterg
Thanks for the input the cars ive been looking at are 05-07 am thinking more towards manual as my thinking is if something went wrong a auto box is more exspensive to fix im looking at 2.0 and 2.7 so just trying to get most info on both engines to decide which one to go for mainly for reliability i had a A3 2.0d and cylinder head went so im more in favour of 2.7 unless you guys know of any improvements

Thanks for the input the cars ive been looking at are 05-07 am thinking more towards manual as my thinking is if something went wrong a auto box is more exspensive to fix im looking at 2.0 and 2.7 so just trying to get most info on both engines to decide which one to go for mainly for reliability i had a A3 2.0d and cylinder head went so im more in favour of 2.7 unless you guys know of any improvements
At that age the 2.0 is the PDi engine and it did have issues, blown turbos and the oil pump shaft failing. However a 7-9 year old car with a good service record will almost certainly have had these issues addressed during its life so is probably OK

Early V6 TDi's have a poorly produced chain tensioner, have poorer produced injectors.

If you go 07 onwards better V6 TDi's in that respect.