New wheels

Jenno007

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of getting new wheels for my S3. I LOVE the Rota Grids and have pretty much settled on them.

A picture for anyone who hasn't seen them before

Rota_Grid_R_17_x_4d1f4a819e55a.jpg

I am going to go for 18" wheels with 225/40/R18 tyres (unless anyone strongly apposes to them).

I have two choices for the size of the wheels then...

1)
PCD 5*100
SIZE 18*8.5
OFFSET +44

or

2)
PCD 5*100
SIZE 18*9.5
OFFSET +38

Wheel #2 has the same offset as the factory wheels but I feel that 9.5" may be too wide for 225 tyres? Also that wheel will be a bit heavier and since my car has standard power it may slow it down a little.

I have some 11 & 16mm spacers on the way from Badger5, but I don't mind if I need to get more spacers to clear suspension. However I don't want the wheel to stick out from the guard otherwise my car could get deemed unroadworthy...

I understand how offset works but I'm still a little confused if wheel #1 will fit (it should sit in the guard more but since it is thicker than the standard wheel I'm worried it will stick out of the guard with a spacer).

My question basically, #1, #2 or neither will work.

Cheers guys

I wouldn't try and get a 225 tyre on a 9.5 inch rim it's too much stretch. The extra inch width won't make that much difference to the overall weight of the wheel.
Definately 8.5 inch rims.

Even though the offset is slightly off the standard wheels?

Also any idea of the spacers I've ordered will be appropriate for these wheels? I don't mind if I need different sized ones

Hi there,
Nice choice on the wheel. A couple of other people on here are running them so it may be worth speaking to them to see what setup, spacers and tyres they are running.
Joe S3 im sure will help you out.

Cheers
Adam

Oh awesome thanks for that, I didn't realise anyone else on this forum was running the same wheels. Only seen them on one other s3 on the net. I'll pm him now

His user name is JoeeS3, sorry that was my mistake. Yeah the wheels look really really good! quite a few threads on here about them as they seem to be getting more popular now.

I just messaged joes3 haha :/

I'll send him a message cheers

Reactions: Adam P
That is the perfect look thank you! And that's the car I was talking about. I had seen it on another forum