What tyres are you running on you TDi 2.0 177 ??

Anthony566

Reaction score
I am ready for 4 new tyres and I have been happy with the conti 3's but wanted to know what people have replaced these with as I was thinking of putting a set of conti 5's on

They are 255/35 19's

I ran conti 3's on my A4 before trading it in, great tyre IMO. Now on conti 5's on my A5, again, IMO, are a great tyre in the wet & dry, a tad expensive but you get what you pay for.
JG

Thanks JG ... is the tread pattern the same on the 5's as it is on the 3's ??

I changed all 4 of mine in the summer, for infinity eco max at a total cost of £316 including balancing and fitting, I drove to London and back on Saturday,480miles and its hard to tell the difference
These are fitted to my A4 black edition, I'm no racing driver, and this runout isn't something I do regularly, they've covered 4000 miles now and they grip well, there quiet, the handlings no different
Do I wish if spent three times that amount to put Conti's on Definately not, I believe you get what you pay for but I do wonder if Conti's are worth the premium against these so called Budget tyres

Thanks JG ... is the tread pattern the same on the 5's as it is on the 3's ??
Hi Anthony, from what I remember, yes, very very similar but with less road noise IMO. I did a bit of tyre review research prior to replacing the fronts on my A4, and some reviews came out with the 3's out scoring the 5's, I've only got 5's on the A5 because I bought the car with these fitted, but as I said, the 5's do seem to have less road noise.
JG

I changed all 4 of mine in the summer, for infinity eco max at a total cost of £316 including balancing and fitting, I drove to London and back on Saturday,480miles and its hard to tell the difference
These are fitted to my A4 black edition, I'm no racing driver, and this runout isn't something I do regularly, they've covered 4000 miles now and they grip well, there quiet, the handlings no different
Do I wish if spent three times that amount to put Conti's on Definately not, I believe you get what you pay for but I do wonder if Conti's are worth the premium against these so called Budget tyres

I know what your saying Drew Baby, I have considered cheaper tyres for Summer use, but didn't want to spent £££'s on them and end up not liking them. On the other hand, £316 for four tyres is a great price, sounds like you got a result there. :thumbs up:
JG

JG,
I was quite sceptical to be honest, the info I read had them 1 decibel quieter than a conti 3 slightly worse in the Wet but to be fair I'm never gonna push my tyres to the extremes that there rated to, I do find them quiet and grippy, they seem to be wearing well, nice and even, no dramas so far and for the price if they do 18000 miles I'll be extremely pleased

Reactions: RS5 JON
I have Pirelli Pzeros on mine and they are a great tyre!:) ..

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Mine came with Pirelli p zero rosso.
No complaints from me performance wise.
Plus they were the cheapest on tyre leader coming in at £130 quid a tyre
The new uni royals have been getting good reviews priced about the same as the pirellis

Reactions: Point_Audi
JG,
I was quite sceptical to be honest, the info I read had them 1 decibel quieter than a conti 3 slightly worse in the Wet but to be fair I'm never gonna push my tyres to the extremes that there rated to, I do find them quiet and grippy, they seem to be wearing well, nice and even, no dramas so far and for the price if they do 18000 miles I'll be extremely pleased
I tend to buy my tyres based on wet road rating, IMO most tyres, premium or budget, hold the road well in dry conditions, like you I'm no boy racer, but do like to feel confident in my choice of tyres in the wet, conti's give me that confidence.
Another tyre make that I've had, and again was good all round, are Hankook. I had these on my Jetta and had no issues with them, wet or dry.
JG

Reactions: SI-W85 and RobbieWebs
well my current 3's have done 30,000 miles from new and the back ones still have a bit on them its the front ones that need doing now as for price I can get 4 5's for £550 which I though was a good price.

well my current 3's have done 30,000 miles from new and the back ones still have a bit on them its the front ones that need doing now as for price I can get 4 5's for £550 which I though was a good price.
That's a great price for 4 conti 5's Anthony, from where?
JG

Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2 are a great tyre. I've heard good reports about Vredestein too but never used them myself.

Thanks for all the feedback guys .... I have just ordered 4 of the 5P's

Sport Contact 5P - 255/35 R19 (96Y) XL (AO) FR TL Fuel
Eff.: F Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 73dB

Reactions: RS5 JON and RobbieWebs

I'm impressed, my Conti 3s have 3.5mm and 5mm left on them (front and rear) after only 10000 miles so I don't think I'll manage to nurse them to 30000!
Good tyre though and I did manage to get them for £180 each which wasn't too bad.

I brought 2 fronts

Bridgestone RE050A - 245 40 r18 93Y for 120 each fitted and balanced

I have had too many problems with Bridgestone to ever consider buying again. One tyre had a failure causing the whole tyre to go wobbly and distorted, another one had different compound coming visible before the tyre reached the tread limit. Both were rejected when I put in a claim.

New boots all ready to be fitted on Thursday ..

Conti 5 tread pattern for those wanting to know, I found it hard to find a photo when I wanted to see the difference between the 3's and 5's