high pressure in top rad hose

A3dan2907

Reaction score
Hi I bought a 1998 a6 quattro petrol on thursday and there seems to be quite high pressure in the top radiator hose but no evidence of head gasket problems or overheating any help please!

What are the signs?Rad could need flushing

Thanks for your reply, no signs and there is a good flow on the water do you know how much pressure there should be in the cooling system?

So what leads you to say theres high pressure?There must be a lot cos it will release as steam if there was leak.I would only worry if the hose seemed to be weak.Mine burst once in a cloud of rusty steam

When you take the top off the coolant reservoir is there a significant amount of pressure in there, what color is the coolant ?, should be a nice pinky red color. If the coolant looks Ok and it's not losing any and if you release the pressure in the system take it for a drive and there is not any pressure in the system I wouldn't worry too much.

Don't do this unless the engine is cold or only slightly warm .The steam under pressure from a hot engine could scald

Sorry I haven't replied I've had no Internet for a while thanks for your advice I've looked at the radiator and cleaned it out and there was some limescale in there but it seems a bit better now it's all been cleaned so should be ok i hope

One more question if you can help there is a loud ticking noise that has developed and it gets louder when the engine warms up its on the drivers side of engine near the back can't work out exactly where it's coming from is this a common problem?