Motorbike Track Days

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have had my full licence and bike since May this year.
It was initially very strange being on the road with a bike after I passed, but gradually built confidence and basic skills over the summer - I have ridden around 1500 miles.
I was originally cornering very slowly - but have progresivelly built speed, I'm now more relaxed when riding, but I still have a very, very long way to go.

I know I still have confidence and trust issues - I know the bike is capable but im still abit of a chicken when entering corners at speed!

A friend of mine who has ridden for 5 years has recommended doing a track day, he told me that he learned more on his first track day than he did riding on the roads for a year.
I think I am going to look for trackdays early next season (2015) - Im not afraid of coming off the bike, I would just like to do it within a fairly safe and controlled environment - i.e-the track.
I have seen a few trackdays for novice's only, but my friend thinks it may be abit too tame - so im after some opinions!

Im finding it quite frustrating - as I feel I can drive a car technically well as I have done trackdays before (living close to North Wales also helps) but still crap on the bike!

Your friend is 100% correct, you'll learn to ride properly and learn a lot about yours and the bikes parameters and capabilities

A few words of advice.......
Don't get caught up trying to stay with another rider !
Ride your own ride and stay focused on what your doing, it's very easy to get caught up in the moment, it only takes a second in lapse of concentration and your in a mess

If you feel that your advancing enough to move up a group into intermediate, DONT !
Stay in novice and enjoy the day
EVERYONE in the intermediate group is in my opinion in the wrong group
You get the novices that think there better than they are and you get a more capable rider that has the speed but doesn't have the guts to go into the advanced group !
Combine these together and your asking for disaster !

Just go and enjoy yourself, don't be afraid to ask an instructor for help / tips etc

Body position and weight transfer is a huge part of it, anyone can jump on a modern sports bike and go fast ( for the odd lap )
Stringing it all together and staying calm and smooth makes for a faster session not just one lap

And going home with your bike in ONE piece is great ! Lol

I guarantee some won't on the day your there

Enjoy and be safe

Also whilst your there, sometimes there's companies there that sell, supply etc etc,
If you get the chance get a reputable company to help set your bike up properly, ie, suspension and tyre pressures

Good tyres make a world of difference but they work a lot better at a certain pressure, I run 31 in the rear and 30 in the front

Bike Safe course is also worth looking at, as your are a new rider it's an ideal time to learn good habits and they will help teach you observation, road positioning and therefore helps cornering. Don't be put off just because they are Police, the whole purpose is to make people better riders :)

But a track day is also awesome, Ron Haslam is great and its not your bike or your kit either so very little risk.

Enjoy 2 wheels! 600F is an ideal bike for track day also, loads of fun.

I used to work for a few companies who taught and instructed at track days. On the "novice" section, you would typically start on a sort of follow the leader, to learn the correct line, and whilst doing this, we would encourage you to not use your brakes. This teaches you to use the gears, and plan when and where to decelerate. Each session would build up speed, lean, and learning how to ride through bends. The advantage of doing the novice, is that there is no overtaking during the bends ( in the later sessions, when you are going quicker), and this really helps with confidence knowing that if you need to use the whole track, you won't take someone else out. As previously stated, the Police instructors are great, and you will learn a great deal from them were you to sign up. Good luck, and well done!

Many thanks for all your input and advice.
Sounds like the novice trackday is the way to go then.
I have also taken a look at the bikesafe course - didnt realise it was only £10! - so will book on for next year also.