Rear light cluster issue

norris_309

Reaction score
Hi all,.
Been having an intermittent fault with the rear passenger side lights.
I keep getting a warning light for the rear left brake light and/or rear left reverse bulb.

I removed the light and the bulbs are OK, but I noticed a couple of things.
1. The connector that plugs into the bulb unit has the little clip/ securing tab broken off. This is on the car side if the cable... I've seen you can buy the connector, but can you swap them somehow?? As the cable seems to be hard wired as it were.

2. When I pulled the connector apart there was a bit of moisture present... Is it common for the bulb holder seal to cause problems? I do get a bit of condensation showing in the reverse bulb area.

I've bodged the connector with tape to hold it,and that's not budging, but just noticed the bulb warning light still sometimes comes on!!!... Thinking it must be moisture related now.

Any ideas/ advice....??

Also, while on the topic.
How do you guys remove the rear lights without risking damage?..
I've just undone the screw and carefully wiggled a covered screwdriver around the edge of the light to pop the 2 pins out of the car... Seems a bit risky doing it that way, but couldn't release it any other way.

About to replace a cluster on mine so I'll check how the pins / sockets locate in the connector. But generally they are retained in the body with small tags, so could be released easily enough. It's a firm fit tho so is the broken clip a problem?

If it's damp in the cluster then probably the seal at the bulb holder has failed. That said, I'm replacing the cluster because it's failed somewhere - put water in it, it just pours out from the join between front and back sections.

Probably the bulb connectors are corroded - try cleaning, but if you still get bulb-out warnings then you need a new holder assembly anyway. Not cheap I'm afraid. But it'll fix the seal problem too of course.

As to removal, yes, a protected lever - although I find that I can usually release the cluster from the car by judicious wriggling at the other end. That bolt is easily dropped into the body tho!! :-(

Well, not immediately obvious how the individual connectors locate into the socket - as I mentioned, theses are generally a slip in / clip system but I wasn't about to test the theory by seeing if I could extract one. If, as you say, you can get the connector then just ask whoever is supplying it how to remove the connectors from the existing one.