wet carpet

rob swallow

Reaction score
evening. I've got a 98 a6 Quattro avant. Slight problem is my passenger side front carpet is ****** wet through. Anyone else had this? Where will water be getting in and how did you sort it? Cheers

Check around the pollen filter under the passenger side of the scuttle panel. If there is a lot of rubbish around the outer edge, all the water gets channelled down. That leads through the ventilation into the footwell. I had the same problem. Hopefully this helps.

Check the drainage holes under the battery in the plenum chamber ?
Common Audi fault and one i have experienced a few years ago (Leaves make you paranoid after you have experienced this )
Google "plenum chamber blockage audi"

been under battery this morning. 6" of water under there. Finger in hole whoosh water gone

There is also another drain hole underneath the brake servo which is awkward to get at. It can only be accessed from the passenger side & you will need to remove the cover boot/sock (for want of a better description) from around the air con pipes - it's secured by two press studs. I've removed both rubber drain grommets as they become completely blocked far too easily. gtiboy is absolutely right when he says you become paronid about leaves etc. & do take pastysmasher's advice of clearing the build up of rubbish around the pollen filter housing regardless of whether your drain holes are clear or not. It's on the r/h side (as you look from the front) of the housing, around the bonnet hinge. This is where water is supposed to run through to drain away but the build up of leaves etc. which rot down into a black silt will cause it breach the filter housing & run through into the footwell.

Reactions: gtiboy
After siphoning out and using rags I used newspaper with a little weight on it for absorption then used cheap rice (yes rice ) to absorb what was left . Worked a trat but you have to remember that the soundproofing is extremley thick so it will take a while to dry out especially with the weather we are experiencing now.The control unit is under there so if thats swimming in water that too will need drying out too ( tub of dry rice again for a few days) i took mine apart as it was under water and was beginning to corrode i used rice and a soft tootbrush to agitiate it off .
good luck