Automatic timer lock?

vimy

Reaction score
I wanted to know if there is any options in the MMI to automatically lock the car if the key is not in the ignition?
Forgot to lock my car yesterday night and some w****rs rummaged around my car and stolen my iPod :mad new:

It only locks itself when you unlock the car and don't open any doors for a set period of time

Bummer! Guess I need to pull the handle every time to make sure I've locked it

Folded mirrors is not a reliable indication that the car is currently locked.

Folded mirrors just indicate that the car had been locked at some time - and could be currently unlocked.

True.
For me, it's handy for that moments when you're walking away from the car towards a shop, etc and think 'did I push the lock button' and a quick glance back confirms this.
Obviously not foolproof though.

Exactly, it is a good visual indication that the car has been locked at the point of operating the remote. Also the flashing lights in the top of the door trim, if you've not got folding mirrors or it's too dark to see them...

My wife always pulls the door handles after she locks her yaris, i keep telling her nobody is gonna steal that piece of junk

Reactions: J4MMYz and Martinbanshee
Exactly, it is a good visual indication that the car has been locked ..

I think "good" is stretching it a little.

You can have the boot on the first latch (ie: half locked), press the lock button, the mirrors fold, and the indicators flash.
And your car is in a half-secure situation - but you think everything is OK, because the mirrors folded.

It's merely one of the indications, albeit not necessarily 100% infallible.

It's not difficult is it?

:asskicking:

Mind you neither is turning the cooker off....................... but I've lost count of the times Mrs Steeve has got me to go home to check!

Reactions: Blackwhite
Can you not hear the deadlocks moving into place? That and checking the handle is usually enough in my current car.

Yeah, but sometimes you lock, walk away and then doubt yourself, especially when you're busy chatting away to someone at the time. It's not often but I've done it a few times although I've never actually walked away and left it unlocked......yet

I'm sure one day you'll be able to check the status of your car through an app on your phone. The hardware is pretty much there if you have the tech pack, it just needs the software. Maybe once Apple CarPlay is released. It would be cool to be able to quickly look at your phone and see if it's locked or if the alarm has been triggered.

Last edited:
That would be cool and is also possible, just need Audi to implement it. Just a matter of time I suppose.

An App could give you your car location, fuel level, lock status, options to close windows and more but it would create new security issues though so who know when this will happen.

Security would always be something to consider, but if the app was read only then I can't imagine it causing too many headaches for a programmer.

An app with car location, lock status, alarm status, fluid levels (fuel, oil, washer fluid) would be very useful. Hopefully by the time I get my next one ;)

BMW have an app for the i3 and i8 as do range rover. As well as security you can program the climate control to warm up/cool down your car at a specific time eg your morning commute amongst other features.

Reactions: coolguy
Must resist, must resist.

Reactions: Blackwhite, JohnM100 and Martinbanshee
Don't go there, we do not want three threads about the same thing, that really would bore people. ;)

Reactions: JohnM100
Perhaps the next thing will be a James Bond style app which will start the car and bring it to you and save all the effort of walking to the car.:jester:

I just look to see if the mirrors folded, if not, I never locked it.
This was one of the main reasons I spec'ed power fold mirrors :thumbs up:

I know it's not infallible, but I'll do for me ;)

Reactions: Martinbanshee
The one thing thats surprising is that Audi charge extra for powerfold mirrors!

I got that free with my SEAT Ibiza, then again theres not a lot going for that car :p

The one thing thats surprising is that Audi charge extra for powerfold mirrors!

I got that free with my SEAT Ibiza, then again theres not a lot going for that car :p
MINI charge £250 for their PF mirrors & they don't fold on locking or have the kerb view function.

So £150 from Audi is quite reasonable IMHO :thumbs up: