dEF error and fault code 65535

TheRunningMan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A few weeks ago when I turned the ignition on my speedo shot round to max and where your mileage is normally displayed I got the dEF error. I turned it off and back on again and it went. Now a few weeks later it's happened 4 or 5 times. When driving like this the speedo is all over the place, sometimes off the clock and sometimes settling back down to normal. I've scanned for fault codes with VCDS lite and got - 65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error 00-00
Does this mean the clocks themselves are faulty and need replacing or are they in any way serviceable? Or could it be the engine speed sensor or something else?
I can't find anything online relating to this fault code and the speedo problem specifically.

Any help appreciated.

Massive Bump alert!

This is now happening every time I turn the ignition on so need to get it sorted as my mot is due soon. I'm assuming the speed sensor on the gearbox would throw it's own code up and the one showing is instrument cluster related so pretty sure that's where the problem lies. Has anyone taken the cluster apart or knows if there are any potential dry solder joints or connections that could be cleaned up? I've seen vaguely similar threads on other forums about older Audi's but nothing quite the same. I dread to think of the cost of buying a new cluster and having it coded to the car!

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Thursday, 17 March 2016, 18:17:05.
Control Module Part Number: 8L0 920 980 Q
Component and/or Version: KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. VDO D11
Software Coding: 00444
Work Shop Code: WSC 00001
VCID: 41F5C6075891
Additional Info: WAUZZZ8L03A067967 AUZ7Z0B2275608
1 Fault Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -

Ok so this is what came up. It was control module 17 - Instruments.

Ok so I've taken the cluster out and had a look at the circuit board and one of the chips looks decidedly knackered. I'm no electronics expert but maybe someone with more knowledge could give their opinion... See pic below:

DSC_0448_zpsfn5somb9.jpg

If it is the problem can it be replaced? I have emailed a couple of cluster repair companies I found online but not had a response yet.

Last edited by a moderator: