ESP warning Light

MStevo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2004 1.9tdi 130 (not sure of the engine code) and the ESP light comes on from time to time. It comes on at random times and then goes off the next day when I start it up. The ABS light has also come on from time to time while the ESP light is on. I know that both systems work off one system so one could cause the other to trip however am I right in saying that it could be one if not both of the ABS sensors that are faulty?

It runs and drivers perfect.

Cheers

Matt, do you have vcds? If not, click link in my signature for vcds map. We have members that will run a scan for you in your area. That way you know what the faults are and saves needless expense in replacing something that may be ok. :) x

Reactions: pauldazzle
Get it scanned sounds like 2 faults but you don't no till its scanned

My prediction having experienced the same is that you'll scan it to find the G85 sensor has an intermittent fault. This is the steering angle sensor. When it fails, the ECU no longer knows how the steering wheel is angled and so it trips ESP/ABS because it's required data input for that whole system to function.

The sensor is integrated into the slip ring behind the steering wheel.

You'll need to swap it (the whole slip ring) out behind your steering wheel (which means disconnecting the battery to safely remove the steering wheel airbag). It's a very easy job though in itself and there's how-to's you can follow.

I got one for about £25 on eBay. Good luck! Oh and make sure the part numbers match -there's a few different ones depending on if you have cruise control etc.

Thanks for your help guys, I will get it scanned and hopefully it's nothing too expensive.