A4 B6 2.5 V6 TDI overrevving when cold

lukechris

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently picked up a 2002 A4 B6 2.5 V6 TDI auto. Initially had issues with PRND light flashing but took it down (250 miles down) to the well known Alex in Bristol who sorted out an issue with my shifter, and also did an ECU repair for me. It's been great since - anyway that's another story.

The only real remaining issue with the car is that when the engine is cold (after 1-2 mins from cold startup) the engine really over-revs itself (for example if I shift into neutral to really see what the engine is donig it will sit at 2k+ rpm for another minute or two). It has never done this when the temp has reached 60+ degrees.

This only really causes me an issue when trying to brake as the car keeps pushing due to the high RPM. I've no idea what it could be really, the car has had every single service on the dot, the gearbox is running fine, I bought it 5k miles ago after a costly £1k+ cambelt change. Besides this it really runs great. No fault codes in VCDS under engine module (not had chance to check any other module, yet).

Any ideas?

Cheers