New setup crossovers issue

manor13

Reaction score
I bought a set off hertz 165 dieci 2 way component speakers they came with tweeters and crossovers, these are proving to be an issue. I thought i could wire the speakers to run off the oem loom but fitted one and its very faint compared to the oem on the other side so do i need to run them through the crossover for best sound or have i done something wrong ? Anyone offer some advice

I would just bypass the OEM wiring altogether. Allows for an easy way to get back to standard and sound will be much better.

The standard speaker is probably much more sensitive, ie easier to drive, than the replacement which is no doubt designed to be powered by a more powerful head unit.

Swap the other side and see how it sounds.

Yes for best results used the supplied crossover. Most OEM systems use a full range woofer/driver and use a tweeter with its own passive filter. With many speaker component sets, it is the crossover which Is the heart of it and makes sure the right frequencies are tailored to go to the drivers it was designed to work with.

An analogy would be buying a suspension upgrade kit but leaving some oem parts - it will be an improvement but maybe it's not working together like it should?

Personally, in my experience, an upgraded head unit with or without an external amp and OEM speakers gives better results than stock head unit/amp and upgraded speakers.

Stu.

The standard speaker is probably much more sensitive, ie easier to drive, than the replacement which is no doubt designed to be powered by a more powerful head unit.

Swap the other side and see how it sounds.

Yes for best results used the supplied crossover. Most OEM systems use a full range woofer/driver and use a tweeter with its own passive filter. With many speaker component sets, it is the crossover which Is the heart of it and makes sure the right frequencies are tailored to go to the drivers it was designed to work with.

An analogy would be buying a suspension upgrade kit but leaving some oem parts - it will be an improvement but maybe it's not working together like it should?

Personally, in my experience, an upgraded head unit with or without an external amp and OEM speakers gives better results than stock head unit/amp and upgraded speakers.

Stu.