Oil problems!!

milkyjoe01

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have an issue with my oil. I have a 2004, Audi A3, 2.0 TDi BKD. I am getting a puff of blue smoke only at start up. It doesn't do it whilst the engine is running, its only at start up & only when its been sat for over 15/16 hours. Any less & it doesn't happen. With this in mind I checked the dipstick & it was reading min. I think so anyway cuz the dipstick is strange to read. It was about 1mm above the min. It is the dipstick with 2 bits of plastic, 1 bit at the tip which is shaped like a bullet & the other bit of plastic at the top of the max. level that is like a ball. With this in mind I topped up the oil with 500ml but now its reading way over max!!!!! My questions to anyone are:
No. 1: Has anyone experienced the blue smoke on start up & resolved it or can anyone suggest what the issue is.
No. 2: Does anyone know how much oil takes the dipstick from min. to max.?

1.The blue smoke would be oil and since you say its been sat when this happens that would point towards worn valve guides letting oil leak into the cylinders and when you start the car this is what would cause blue smoke. The oil would leak in from where it was when turned off, in the case above the cylinder head
2. rule of thumb is 1 litre, audi as far as im aware say check the oil when hot after letting it settle for 3 mins

Thanks for the quick reply. The blue smoke is ejected about 5 secs after the engine starts & is only a slight haze, i.e. not thick smoke & it dissipates instantly, but it is an area for concern. In your opinion do you happen to know if it would be the valve guides or the valve guide oils seals? I know you can't tell me without further examination up close but if you or someone you know has had the same issue then advice is very much appreciated. Also, if it is the guides or seals do you have a rough estimate as to how much something like that would cost? Thanks for your time & help.

Hi, no ive not had previous experience with the personally other than taking the engines apart. what will happen is the head will have to be removed and then it would be sent of to a machine shop, the same place heads are sent to be skimmed when I head gasket has blown. There are specific gauges that can be used to test this but to my knowledge the garage would send it straight to the machine shop and they would diagnose and replace parts as required. How many miles has the car done? as for price I couldn't tell you but you would have garage labour for stripping/rebuild and then machine shop as well, id change the cambelt and head gasket while at it as no labour would be charged just parts, a rough guess would be £550 for the labour and head work

as said the engine is burning some oil somewhere.

i'm guilty of it myself too often but if it's a slight haze as you describe then don't worry about it, some engines burn loads of oil, some burn a little bit...

as said the engine is burning some oil somewhere.

i'm guilty of it myself too often but if it's a slight haze as you describe then don't worry about it, some engines burn loads of oil, some burn a little bit...

This is also a true statement, I used to own a civic type r ep3 which are known for oil consumption but my didn't use that much compared to a lot of others

80,000 miles on a very tidy, well looked after 2004 2.0 TDi BKD engine. Runs smooth, no lagging, stalling, misfiring at all. Hopefully it's just 1 of those things. Coincidentally it's only began when the cold weather started!