Clunk/rattle at lower speed

rizzini7

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm getting a clunk/rattle when doing under 40mph. Control arms, drop links, ARB bushes and top mounts have all been changed.
It's not constant and will do it on small bumps and driving in straight line. Sounds as if it's coming from drives front.
My mates checked most things he can think of right now and is thinking steering rack or duff shock?

Also when the engine is off and you turn the steering wheel the wheels don't move? Is this normal?.

Any ideas on what to check?

Thanks,

Hi mate, when your driving have your window down and when its rattling gently press the brake pedal and if it stops its your pads rattling in the calipers, my car does it bad and its really really annoying I must admit.

I've miss typed it's more off a clunk/knock. Doesn't help my under tray now has a sag and is catching at the moment till I can get it pinned up. Can't feel it through the steering wheel. But I do in my feet. I shall check the brakes just incase

Does everyone else's Audi steering do the same with the key in the ignition but engine off. Turn steering wheel and no movement in the wheels??

Or would this point to a duff shock they're slow to come back out when compressed

Also just had rear drop links changed as there was a fair bit of play in them. But it certainly sounds like drivers front.
Thanks in advance any help appreciated

Do you have an S-line with standard suspension?

If so, there's a good possibility that your spring has broken.
My brother had the same thing, it only knocked when going over a pot hole or speed bump. Could be worth a check if you haven't already?

Hi Rizzini7,

Suffering the same issue with mine at the moment, 2.0 tfsi quattro sline. The knock/ creak/ clunk manifests itself over undulating 'washboard' surface. Also creak when first pulling away from standstill.
This is definately front offside , it can also be felt slightly through the steering and pedals
It's going into the VAG independants on Thursday, one of the things I've asked them to look at. I'll feed back any outcome then.
I'm sure it would benefit from having all bushes replaced, tighten it all up a bit at the front , it's not bad by any means, just hasn't got that 'new motor' feel :(

Last edited:
Hi Rizzini7,

Suffering the same issue with mine at the moment, 2.0 tfsi quattro sline. The knock/ creak/ clunk manifests itself over undulating 'washboard' surface. Also creak when first pulling away from standstill.
This is definately front offside , it can also be felt slightly through the steering and pedals
It's going into the VAG independants on Thursday, one of the things I've asked them to look at. I'll feed back any outcome then.
I'm sure it would benefit from having all bushes replaced, tighten it all up a bit at the front , it's not bad by any means, just hasn't got that 'new motor' feel :(

Cheers mate keep us updated hopefully simple and same as mine.
It's on standard s-line shocks but eibach springs. The spring is fine though was out at the weekend for the third time

Unfortunately, commitments meant that I had to rain check the original appointment :( , however planned to go in next week....... Hope to get some good news then !

As promised will post the results

Cheers mate, still no luck my end. Could someone check their steering to see if the wheels turn left/right with the engine off as mine don't. Or is that an audi thing

The wheels won't turn without power steering. Which needs the engine running.

Thank you, rules that out then. Assumed it was right but wasn't 100% as it will in most other cars (wife's naff fiesta ).

Seems to be more of an issue when it's just me in the car and more on back roads

ARB C links? If it's over a cobbled street or steel grating it will be evident. Check out that spring. You can do a rough measurement using your hand from the top of the tyre to the underside of the wing.

It does sound a little like the spring twanging if you know what I mean. (Unless it's twisting). And the steering does feel a bit boat like. But I suppose a duff shock could cause both them issues.

This weekend GSF have 33% off via code
I assume if I search via my reg the shocks displayed would be correct. Was looking at the premium (bilstein) works out at £167 for front and rears with discount.

Nearly considered the steering rack. There's only one come up at £377 (£132 is refundable surcharge). Would that be the correct servitronic one? Obviously with 33% off the £377 isn't to bad.

Looking to keep the car another 18months or so if it makes a difference
Thanks guys