Audi 8p Single xenon

karx

Reaction score
Hi all,

I came across to a bit of a problem and after reading and searching for needed info I came to even more confusion.

Brief info:
Car was originally imported from US (a3 sportback '06). All parts are OEM, no after-market ones but someone has messed around with headlights (coding). Single xenon headlights were flickering which was due to wrong coding, which has been amended via VCDS.

Sitrep:
Headlight level toggle/switch (levels 0-I-II-III) does nothing.
In position 0 when the car starts xenons light up, instrument cluster stays unlit.
Auto position ("Auto" on the switch becomes orange-ish) xenons light up, instrument cluster lights up (I believe it adjusts to the daylight as well).
Once in third position, I believe that one is called parking lights (please correct me if I am wrong), xenons go off (please refer to Image 2 below), but the symbol on the switch itself doesn't light up in green (I don't know whether it should but in a lot of available topics it did).
Fourth position, xenons light up, front and rear fog lights are available to be switched on (symbols on the switch light up in different colors).
Instrument cluster illumination switch works perfectly.

I sense that there might be something mixed with the coding or the switch.
Is the headlight level toggle should be working with single xenons?

I would be grateful if someone could give me an idea of what is wrong from my write up or how the proper set-up should look/work like.

Cheers!

Light switch looks like this:
24202_x800.jpg

Third position on the light switch:
standlicht2.jpg

Images were taken from google search.

Thats a bi xenon lamp in thepicture above also single xenons didnt come withwuto lights i dont think, i retro fitted single xenons to my a3 and i plugged them in no problem amd they began to flicker as expected so pluggd jn via VCDS vagcom at a mated garage and coded it, very easy to do pretty straight forward, your ecu sounds like its been reflashed or reset to requires recoding as i think your lights have been retrofitted if they are flickering

Thats my car with the single xenon lamps ^

Also headlight switch seems like its been changed on yours ?

Hi,

Thanks for a reply.

Flickering was eliminated by vcds by changing the code (now I believe it's 02 - Single xenons with hallogen high beams) so it is all good.
Since the car was initially imported from US I think there were some modifications required to meet regulations in EU. I think that the light switch was swapped for that reason too.

The thing that I am willing to find out is whether there is something else coded incorrectly and whether the light level toggle is supposed to be working or not. For that a proper coding of 09 cent. elect. would be useful.

I was reading through various posts and found out that xenons are auto-leveling with separate sensors and that there is a way to re-level them via vcds. This would mean that light level toggle on my switch is just there due to the fact that a different switch was used once imported to EU (to meet EU regulations).