Bilstein B12 Kit

louis89

Reaction score
Hi,
I managed to pick up a bilstein b12 pro kit on offer, I was wondering if anyone was running this on their A3?
What's it like compared to the standard suspension? If anyone has any pictures of how far it lowers the car that would be brilliant!
Just want to feed my excitement until I get a chance to get it fitted.
Thanks!

Fitted the same to my old S3 Sportback, great setup, it;s B8 dampers on Eibach Pro springs so whatever Eibach Pro lowers on your car is the answer you're looking for, the S3 was front 20mm drop only as they ride high at the front on that car as standard.

Ah brilliant cheers. That sounds spot on for me. Managed to get them in an end of line sale off demon tweeks for £200 so I think I got a bit of a bargain!

Reactions: curlo
Ah brilliant cheers. That sounds spot on for me. Managed to get them in an end of line sale off demon tweeks for £200 so I think I got a bit of a bargain!
*** that's an awesome price! I didn't believe you so I've just checked Demon Tweeks and, sure enough, the B12 kit is a whopping 73% off (£550 off)... I see that it's not the official Pro Kit as you may receive H&R springs rather than Eibach springs, but you can't go wrong at that price.

So I've just gone and bought a set too! Would have been rude not to at that price. Cheers for the heads up. Legend. ;)

I fitted a Bilstein B12 pro kit to my A4 last weekend. I already had the Eibach springs but with standard shockers. The difference in ride just changing the shockers has been amazing. Not quite as comfortable as the standard SE B8 shockers but not uncomfortable at all. I would describe it as firm. Handling is on a different planet though car is very flat through the corners and doesn't pitch when braking or accelerating.
Wife and kids have said nothing about the change in ride comfort so it can't be too bad.
Mine were a Tad more expensive than closer to £485 but looking at the price on Demon tweeks they are over £660 with the VAT.
You won't be disappointed.

Karl.

Booo. Just checked my Owner's Manual and have seen that the max front axle weight for my A3 is 1110 kg (I have a DSG Quattro). The Demon Tweeks website states that the max weight for the items on sale is 1025 kg. Looks like I'm going to have to ring up first thing and cancel my order. Was too good to be true. :sob:

I presume you've checked the max load for your front axle too, Louis?

Ah that's a shame. Yeah mines a 2.0 TDI Sport so fine there.
They've actually just arrived, seems like they've come with bilsteins own springs not eibach or H&R, I could be wrong though.

It says they're for the sport back only! At this rate my 3door sport will never be lowered!

Ahh sorry guys my bad might get these then! How much will these lower a sport then? 20mm... Sorry I'm not fully clued up when it comes to suspension heights for different models

I can let you know on thursday when mine are fitted ;)
I'm imagining it being somewhere around 20mm though since the sport is already lower than standard.

Ah that's a shame. Yeah mines a 2.0 TDI Sport so fine there.
They've actually just arrived, seems like they've come with bilsteins own springs not eibach or H&R, I could be wrong though.
Have been on the phone with DT this morning and they've checked with their supplier who is adamant that the kit is fine for my car. I'm not convinced, so have asked them to check again as I don't want my suspension collapsing on me!

Re lowering height: the Bilstein catalogue states that the SE5-B853 kit lowers the car by 35mm all round when compared to standard suspension. If you have s-line or sport suspension then I presume that the drop will be less than 35mm, as you say.

Also, as a heads up for others, make sure you order the kit with the correct strut diameter for your car. There are 50mm and 55mm options.

Was just about to drop nearly £500 on a set of B8 shocks only and saw this thread & got the full B12 kit for less than half the price! Don't actually need the springs as I'll be using my Eibachs currently fitted, but what a result!

How can you find out your strut diameter and front axle load? Had a look through my manual and can't find one thing…

How can you find out your strut diameter and front axle load? Had a look through my manual and can't find one thing…
Front axle load was listed in the back of my manual along with the details like towing weight (on page 210 of the manual for my car). And as for strut diameter...get the wheels on full lock and measure the bottom of the strut just above the hub. I measured the circumference and used my GCSE maths skills to calculate the diameter! ;)

Reactions: Sayam
So after a bit of research it seems I have 55mm strut diameter given it's a 2005 2.0litre TDI Sport. I guess this means i'm out of what seems like an unbelievable deal :(

So after a bit of research it seems I have 55mm strut diameter given it's a 2005 2.0litre TDI Sport. I guess this means i'm out of what seems like an unbelievable deal :(
The B12 kit is available in 55mm at the knock down price, But it does seem to be for the sportback only.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...ension-tuning-kit-lowers-front-35mm-35rear-mm

Give DT a call tomorrow. If it fits then the only issue is whether the axle load rating of 1020kg is sufficient for your car. I had ordered the 55mm kit for my car, but had to cancel the order because the Quattro DSG requires a rating of 1110kg or higher. :sob:

Oh dear. Totally forgot to check the strut diameter, will double check tonight but I imagine they'll be 55mm being an 04 2.0 TDI Sport.
It's booked in to have these fitted on Thursday, will it do any harm to just fit the rear dampers and springs and the front springs until I can swap the front dampers?
I imagine it'll have the same effect as running lowering springs but with uprated rear dampers?

Just had it confirmed by DT that it's only avaiable in 55mm strut diameter for sport back models only. No 55mm strut for 3doors

Grey find this
I've just ordered a set for my S3
Don't need the springs but the dampers will go well with my pro springs.

Oh dear. Totally forgot to check the strut diameter, will double check tonight but I imagine they'll be 55mm being an 04 2.0 TDI Sport.
It's booked in to have these fitted on Thursday, will it do any harm to just fit the rear dampers and springs and the front springs until I can swap the front dampers?
I imagine it'll have the same effect as running lowering springs but with uprated rear dampers?
Won't do any harm, other than being more expensive than doing it all in one go.

Just had it confirmed by DT that it's only avaiable in 55mm strut diameter for sport back models only. No 55mm strut for 3doors
Sucks. Looks like you and I are out of luck on this one!

Cheers! The plan is to change the front ones myself when I've got a bit more time and space in the new year so costwise it shouldn't be too bad.
Anyone need a pair of front dampers with a 50mm strut?

Very interested in this kit, just had a look at the DT site and it has two options, I own a 2010 tdi sportback quattro sline which one of the 2 do I need?

The front axle load will be in the manual and if you're not sure on the strut diameter then your audi dealer should be able to tell you if you give them a ring.

Also, I got the rear ones on on Thursday, waiting on front shocks, and I'm a little disappointed with the drop and general feel of them. There's pretty much no noticeable drop from the standard sport suspension yet and they feel a little bouncy really. I'm hoping once the fronts are on and they've bedded in a bit they'll drop a bit and stiffen up, any ideas how long they'll take to bed in?

Also, I got the rear ones on on Thursday, waiting on front shocks, and I'm a little disappointed with the drop and general feel of them. There's pretty much no noticeable drop from the standard sport suspension yet and they feel a little bouncy really. I'm hoping once the fronts are on and they've bedded in a bit they'll drop a bit and stiffen up, any ideas how long they'll take to bed in?
Surprised to hear that, mate. My experience was with B12s running Eibach Pro Kit springs, so I wonder if the Bilstein springs on your kit are what is causing the issue??

Little update on this thread.
I finally got round to having the fronts fitted about three weeks ago and it feels much better now the full set is on.
However I'm still not convinced it's been lowered much.
IMG 8138 IMG 8139
Does this look right? The fronts have had about three weeks to settle and the rears have had about two months. I spoke to Bilstein and apparently they are Bilstein springs but they are identical to the H&R 35mm lowering springs.
Also I was having a little poke around under the car today and it looks like he's fitted the rear springs opposite ways up, one has the tight coils at the top and one has them at the bottom, this can't be right surely?

That does not look right at all. :sadlike: