Gearbox removal on axle stands?

S3ben

Reaction score
Hi I've got a rattle from my flywheel pita. Has anyone removed the gearbox on a s3 on axle stands. And if so what the best way of doing it.
Any links or advice would be great full. Also what are the risks for continuing driving it?
Thanks.

Iv done it on my a3 using 2 tree stumps a little taller than stands it is a pain of a job and your need to support the engine I used a a frame and a chain block its a bit fiddley to get the gear box out got to have the passenger side wheel off and drop the suspension and wish bone out and pull the whole hub out in one go. The in plug the wires from gear box pull the shift linkage off starter motor off bottom dog bone mount off unbolt all gear box bolts get a trolley jack under to support it then unbolt the top mount gear box is now held by the trolley jack I found it easy to put some rope round the box and have a mate take some of the weight from the engine bay now get under the car and wiggle the box out watch u don't drop it on the floor or your self it hearts trust me. Box is now out job done.

Robert.

IMG 20141011 155235866 HDR

That's the sort of hight your need to do it.

Nice one thanks a lot for all your replays. Love the tree stumps lol.

Reactions: sirbobalot