B8 S4 Specifically) 18" verses 19" OEM wheels

GC001

Reaction score
Hi all

I currently have the standard 18" wheels with 245 tyres, and have been wanting to upgrade to 19" peelers with 255 tyres.

Before I do can anyone add any experiences regarding the pros and cons of such a move?

I used to have the the 5 spoke 18's and went to 19 wheels off an S4 offset 43 as appose to the standard ET47 ,much prefer the look and the ride is fine [i also put spacers on mine]

Hi all

I currently have the standard 18" wheels with 245 tyres, and have been wanting to upgrade to 19" peelers with 255 tyres.

Before I do can anyone add any experiences regarding the pros and cons of such a move?

One pro I can think about is you then having 18" wheels for winter use - maybe with winter tyres!?!

I have the 19" peelers (ET43 as standard on mine) and a set of 245/18"s on winter rubber.

The 19"s are fine, the car does drive more accurately with them, the ride is more firm & jiggly but it's not much.

The winter rubber on the 18" is great idea, not only are they safer, I have no issues getting the power down :)

Have the optional 19's on my S4. Running Continental Contact summers and Dunlop Winters (Waiting to get 18's for next year) and the ride comfort and grip levels are fine with both tyres.

I currently have 18's on my 3.0TDI. Replaced all the tyres recently with Winter rubber.
Then in the spring/summer I'm going to purchase some 19's with Summer tyres.

The best thing about this is that:
- You are using the right tyres for the conditions.
- Your shiny 19's stay clear of all the salt/crud that are on winter roads.
- Each season tyre will only be on for 6 months so they will last twice as long (even though you've had to buy two sets).

18s vs19s.
Well 18s will give better handling and comfort on a spirited drive due to more tyre flex and won't be as easy to get a sidewall puncture.
19s will also handle well (not aswell as 18s) but you may or may not notice this, the ride will be a bit firmer too and you'll need a bit more psi in the tyres to avoid sidewall tyre split going over potholes. (As long as you don't have the SE suspension on 19s you'll be fine.)