What Should Audi Do To Improve The 8V A3 / S3

Exhaust then goes where?

All the reviews I have seen state that the tunnel was necessary for the 4WD system. This is the first I have heard that the tunnel is also used for routing the exhaust.

Live and learn.

Just a point of reference, the Alfa key belongs to my son's Guiletta, in terms of 'styling' it certainly makes my S3 key look rather cheap by comparison.

Actually when the Alfa is parked next to the Audi, the S3 looks bland .....

View attachment 47227

Oh, the brochure promised the S3 so much .....

eFnfS83.jpg

(*brushed stainless steel footrest was never realised for RHD cars)

UH94nF0.jpg

263B11A9-D6B4-41D5-A3FB-733DA748B27D_zpsg0zqppy7.jpg

2013-mercedes-benz-gl63-amg-key.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: The Challinor
I suspect even the RS3 will have the same key as the rest of the 8V range. Doubt it will get the brushed steel footrest either - if they couldn't be bothered to engineer it for the RHD S3 (which I'm sure will sell in larger numbers than the RS3) then it's going to be absent.

When I took an RS6 out for a spin a few months a go I noted the key was totally standard. For whatever reason (probably cost) - the UK market has to make do with boring keys and footrests :(

I've got another one, Audi should actually manage to add new features to connect after the cars launched.

I'm not too fussed as does everything that I want it to but people who want to use streaming services, etc are now being left behind.

Anyone else find the zooming function on the Nav counter-intuitive? To me clockwise should be zoom in and anticlock to zoom out.

Reactions: Cameo and GrumpyEngineer
of course you realize the R doesn't get a metal RHD footrest either :)

I've got another one, Audi should actually manage to add new features to connect after the cars launched.

I'm not too fussed as does everything that I want it to but people who want to use streaming services, etc are now being left behind.

the Oz spec S3 doesn't get the 'internet' connectivity the European & USA car get, so it grates that we miss out, but then again we are also the only country (probably) where you pay more for a manual !

Me too. I'm used to it from my previous Audi, but it's still not logical.

Just as illogical as the +/- position for the gearshift on the s-tronic and the left-hand side blinker stalk, you get used them but still can be annoying.

Last edited:
Not got mine yet so can only comment from pics I've seen but I'd like Audi to switch camera system for the ACC to one that's hidden behind the grille rather than disturb the lower horizontal grille vane.

The current s-tronic is forward + to change up and back - to change down. What could be more logical.

As far as the indicator stalk is concerned, this is one of the problems we face because we drive on the 'wrong' side of the road as far as the rest of Europe is concerned. The stalk layout is standardized for all cars made in Europe

OMG where do I start! The A3 8V 2014 could be an amazing car but there’s too many niggles/design issues with it. My spec is a 1.8 Petrol, Manual, S-Line

MMI : Pops up by default when the ignition is switched on, even if the driver has selected close previously.

MMI: Switches on Radio, Media by default when the ignition is switched on. Again even if the driver has selected close previously off!

MMI: The selection wheel **** about face. Clockwise rotation should move the selection down, not up!

MMI: Individual Setting doesn't give enough control.

ESP: It’s too evasive.

ESP: Not possible to completely turn it off. Even the long press doesn't do the trick.

ESP: Comes back on when cruise control is switched on.

Build Quality: Door seals sometimes allow air through/create whistling noises

Build Quality: EFB Battery!! It should be using an AGM battery. Varta (currently used in A3’s) recommends that cars with Energy Recuperation should be fitted with AGM batteries only!

Build Quality: In general it’s poor. My car is 8 months old and to date has had a new clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, brake servo. Currently got a host of other electrical and engine issues that have yet to be traced and fixed.

Fog Light Switches: In a dangerous position. They are obscured by the steering wheel!

Rear View Mirror LED: Auto dimming rear mirror has a “bright” LED “on” when set to auto dim. Nice to have that in your face
whilst you are driving at night!

Rear View Mirror: Doesn't dim enough at night time.

Stop/Start: Can’t switch off by default

Parking brake: Button based parking brakes are simply awful. Bring back the hand brake and granular control. On or Off is a step backwards.

Parking brake: Safety hazard. It can be engaged at speed by an unwitting passenger / curious child. Basically it should only be accessible by the driver.

Washer fluid bong: Comes on at dangerous times. I’d rather not have a loud bong sound as I’m corning at speed!

That's all for now! :)

Reactions: illingworth22
The current s-tronic is forward + to change up and back - to change down. What could be more logical.

Err, the other way around?

Every sequential shift lever used in motorsport is pulled back to shift up and pushed forward to shift down. It's far more logical and natural and this is why it's always been this way - why the car manufacturers feel the need to try to change it is beyond me.

Reactions: pat15312
OMG where do I start! The A3 8V 2014 could be an amazing car but there’s too many niggles/design issues with it. My spec is a 1.8 Petrol, Manual, S-Line

MMI : Pops up by default when the ignition is switched on, even if the driver has selected close previously.

MMI: Switches on Radio, Media by default when the ignition is switched on. Again even if the driver has selected close previously off!

MMI: The selection wheel **** about face. Clockwise rotation should move the selection down, not up!

ESP: Not possible to completely turn it off. Even the long press doesn't do the trick.

Build Quality: EFB Battery!! It should be using an AGM battery. Varta (currently used in A3’s) recommends that cars with Energy Recuperation should be fitted with AGM batteries only!

Build Quality: In general it’s poor. My car is 8 months old and to date has had a new clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, brake servo. Currently got a host of other electrical and engine issues that have yet to be traced and fixed.

Fog Light Switches: In a dangerous position. They are obscured by the steering wheel!

Rear View Mirror LED: Auto dimming rear mirror has a “bright” LED “on” when set to auto dim. Nice to have that in your face

Parking brake: Button based parking brakes are simply awful. Bring back the hand brake and granular control. On or Off is a step backwards.

Parking brake: Safety hazard. It can be engaged at speed by an unwitting passenger / curious child. Basically it should only be accessible by the driver.

Washer fluid bong: Comes on at dangerous times. I’d rather not have a loud bong sound as I’m corning at speed!

Sounds like a Friday afternoon car.........

It does in a S3

By design. If you hit a patch of ice using cruise control you want the car to continue in the original direction

Yep

It's a AGM battery in mine (S3)

Yep, jury is out on this one

In the LHD position, this module with the tell-tale light isn't obscured. LHD hangover

I think it dims enough, just not fast enough sometimes

You get an old school handbrake lever if you spec a US Golf R

Same as in all other cars on the market. But if you pass out or have a stroke at the wheel, the passenger can stop the car, so it's a safety feature

Last edited:
Reactions: Pulp84, MrSparks and illingworth22

Did you look at, read about and/or test drive an A3 before you decided to purchase one with all these things wrong with it?

Reactions: Pulp84 and Vertigo1
Did you look at, read about and/or test drive an A3 before you decided to purchase one with all these things wrong with it?

The problem with a Test Drive is that you don't really "mess about" with the internals of the car.
Maybe people should take longer / fiddle about more.
I certainly didn't - couple of miles up the road and back again, shown around the car inside / out, although you don't really get the feel for the car until it's yours / take it home.

The other thing is that so many other manufacturers are equipping their vehicles with a myriad of goodies - as standard - that are very good and probably not expected by the consumer.
Hence, when having to pay extra for the same goodies, people's expectations are unsurprisingly MUCH higher and given the marque, the expectation once again is that it will be better than other marques.

I have to say that was it not for the Cabrio which is the only reason that I went with Audi, then I would have been most disappointed with the product / price and would definitely have gone elsewhere.
I'm also relying on Audi's quality reputation, although my cold 1st / 2nd gear crunch is the worst I have experienced on any new car to date.

As always, each to their own.

As someone else has already suggested. Living with a car and the test drive are totally different. All the reviews on the A3 were positive and didn't highlight any design/livability issues.

Last edited:
It's a AGM battery in mine (S3)

Same as in all other cars on the market. But if you pass out or have a stroke at the wheel, the passenger can stop the car, so it's a safety feature

Good and interesting feed back thank you :)

With regards to the parking brake. I'm not sure id agree its a safety feature when the likelihood of being unconscious at the wheel is less likely than accidental activation.

I might pop out and get a Bosch AGM battery for my car.

As someone else has already suggested. Living with a car and the test drive are totally different. All the reviews on the A3 were positive and didn't highlight any design/livability issues.

The vast majority of the issues you raised could easily have been investigated/tested/discovered during a test drive and inspection of the car's systems. If they were that important to you then you should have done so before you bought one.

All the non-build quality issues you've raised are subjective and down to personal preference so are hardly "faults". As for the build-quality ones, my door seals don't whistle at all and the parts you mention as having been replaced will all have been manufactured by another company, not Audi so they can hardly be held accountable for "poor build quality".

There are a number of things they could have done to improve this car. My gripes are here:

Missed Out Options When Ordering
  • Sports Exhaust
  • Coupé
  • Electronic Boot Closure
  • 7 speed gear box for additional efficiency
  • Head up display
  • Heated front windscreen
  • Heated rear seats
Issues
  • Waste gate rattle with low revs
  • Continental tyres are terrible, they could change those easily
  • Radio/MMI plays automatically when starting the engine, even if you turned it off previously
  • The MMI voice recognition can only be described as s***
  • Every time you use the windscreen washers it washes the lights too but causes them to not be clear
I probably have more stored up there somewhere, I'll add to the thread when I remember.

The front grill's license plate frame, they should have different sizes for countries which use different standard for license plate size. Our license plate size is much smaller, so the extra space within the frame looks horrendous.

Attachments

• censored1420276312412.jpeg
    censored1420276312412.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 313
There are a number of things they could have done to improve this car. My gripes are here:

Missed Out Options When Ordering
  • Sports Exhaust - From what I understand the S3 has a perfectly nice exhaust sound, why should they add a different exhaust to the other models?
  • Coupé - Just what?!
  • Electronic Boot Closure - Just lazy, it's a small hatchback, not a Q7
  • 7 speed gear box for additional efficiency - Yeah because loads of cars have 7-speed manual boxes
  • Head up display - Again it's a small hatchback and such features are still reserved for higher-end models for product differentiation
  • Heated front windscreen - Ford have patents on this
  • Heated rear seats - Not worth the design & tooling costs for the tiny fraction of people who'd order it
Issues
  • Waste gate rattle with low revs
  • Continental tyres are terrible, they could change those easily - There's nothing wrong with them and they constantly rank highly in every tyre test I've seen
  • Radio/MMI plays automatically when starting the engine, even if you turned it off previously
  • The MMI voice recognition can only be described as s*** - Understands me perfectly, must be your accent
  • Every time you use the windscreen washers it washes the lights too but causes them to not be clear - No it doesn't, there's a delay before the headlamps wash again and the light dims for a second or two at most.
I probably have more stored up there somewhere, I'll add to the thread when I remember.

I seriously wonder why some people in this thread bought this car. If you're that annoyed by it then I suggest you sell it and get something else.

The front grill's license plate frame, they should have different sizes for countries which use different standard for license plate size. Our license plate size is much smaller, so the extra space within the frame looks horrendous.

See now that's what I call a genuine niggle and something which is easy enough for Audi to fix and with which I'm not surprised you're annoyed.

Rather than the endless lists of "missing" features that people didn't seem to notice when they took a test drive or signed on the dotted line.

Reactions: Pulp84
I seriously wonder why some people in this thread bought this car. If you're that annoyed by it then I suggest you sell it and get something else.

What's so hard to understand? No car is perfect and people would probably have a list of niggles with ANY car. Buying a car is always a compromise between costs, needs and desires. Just because we have niggles doesn't mean we regret the purchase or that we should have bought something else

If we waited for the perfect car we'd end up walking everywhere...

What's so hard to understand? No car is perfect and people would probably have a list of niggles with ANY car. Buying a car is always a compromise between costs, needs and desires. Just because we have niggles doesn't mean we regret the purchase or that we should have bought something else

If we waited for the perfect car we'd end up walking everywhere...

That's my point, some on here aren't posting a "list of niggles" at all, they're posting lists of what they see as major flaws, which is why I'm forced to ask why they bought the car at all.

Sure no car is perfect but, if I had the same list of issues with any car that some are posting here, I'd never buy the thing in the first place?

That's my point, some on here aren't posting a "list of niggles" at all, they're posting lists of what they see as major flaws, which is why I'm forced to ask why they bought the car at all.

Sure no car is perfect but, if I had the same list of issues with any car that some are posting here, I'd never buy the thing in the first place?

Yeah, but as I said if you need to buy a car you'll buy the best one on paper even if it DOES have a long list of faults.

The A3 has thousands of components. It would be unrealistic to evaluate these on the test drive. In the limited time you have on a test drive the main concerns are, ride, performance, seating position, peddle position, is the basic layout livable and during this time you have a sales man trying to explain the car to you and you're trying to stay safe on a public road.

I think you are missing the point of the thread, as A3_Phil said every car has niggles and this thread is about what would you do to improve the car... Sadly my car is also plagued with build quality issues.. again its not possible to foresee these issues on a test drive. What major flaws would you expect a test drive to highlight?

I'm confused now - are we discussing niggles or faults?

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of people's "faults" - they are more like an individual's gripe at the way an element of the car or it's functionality was designed.

If something doesn't work on your car that's a warranty issue - not a design flaw

Reactions: Vertigo1
I'm confused now - are we discussing niggles or faults?

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of people's "faults" - they are more like an individual's gripe at the way an element of the car or it's functionality was designed.

If something doesn't work on your car that's a warranty issue - not a design flaw

I guess if the majority of people have the same gripes, then its likely the design is wrong in the first place. i.e. Audi can improve on the car.
Fault wise that really depends on if its down to component quality. Components can fail before they are due to however if components are failing before they have reached time/mile limits then there is a design/spec/qa issue at Audi.. Again Audi can improve on the car, if that's the case.

The manufacturer is responsible for the quality of the whole vehicle including any 'bought in' components. The QA and SQA systems used are numerous and very detailed. The fact they buy these in is not a get out.

Surely on a test drive we all used the electronic handbrake? That shouldn't be a surprise.

Reactions: MrSparks, a3_phil and veeeight
The manufacturer is responsible for the quality of the whole vehicle including any 'bought in' components. The QA and SQA systems used are numerous and very detailed. The fact they buy these in is not a get out.

Surely on a test drive we all used the electronic handbrake? That shouldn't be a surprise.

+1

You have a single agreement with Audi, not hundreds of agreements with the component manufacturers.

RE: the parking brake I'm really not feeling the pain here. EPB + Hold Assist is just fantastic. It's several jobs I no longer have to concern myself with whilst driving and it also frees up more space in the arm-rest area.

Of course its not a surprise. The electronic brake is poor compared to a regular handbrake but its not enough to put me off buying the car.

Regarding the EPB - I would tell any passengers or children to "look with your eyes not with your hands".

Also, just because there are a few people on a forum who note a gripe does not necessarily mean the design is bad or is poor in function. This thread concerns a small percentage of the A3 owners - it's not the majority of owners and therefore does not constitute any design fault.

This thread is probably one of the most subjective we have had for a while

Reactions: Vertigo1
Why are people getting precious when people list a few issues they have with the 8V and suggest ways Audi could make it better? AS THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD SUGGESTS!

Reactions: Snibo and MrSparks