Thinking of getting A3 - ADVICE PLEASE

Martha

Reaction score
i'M THINKING OF PURCHASING AN a3 sPORTBACK sPORT 2.0 TDI.

I have the following questions:

When will a new/facelift A3 come out

When will there be the next price rise for an A3

Should I deselect sports suspension? I currently drive a MKV GcsHOULFD i DESELECT SPORTS SU

Every new A3 owner must ask the same question. I did too and I went against all media advice and listend to the forum, stuck with sport and haven't regreted it at all. It's the perfect middle ground. Comfortable but also confident if you want to throw it around a bit. If you want it soft and comfy, then SE. If you like to give in to the inner demon just a little every now and then, stick with sport. Whatever your choice I see few complaints on final choice once people have their cars

Can't offer an answer on the face lift or price I'm afraid. No shortage on people that can though so I'm sure you'll get your replies

Audi / VAG are very consistent with their model life-cycles. 7/8 year lifespan then a totally new model.

The current A3 (8V model) was launched in the last quarter of 2012. Therefore would expect a face lifted model to be announced towards the end of 2016 with deliveries starting spring 2017 keeping in line with how they have managed the lifecycle of other models.

The Q3 and A6 have just been face lifted and followed a timeline as I have described.

I suppose if you went on that logic you'd never buy a car in the knowledge that its going to be face-lifted I've got an S3 coming in March and yes maybe next year it wont be "recent" but I'll still have a nice car plus if it goes like the A6 it's very minor updates as in Headlights,bumpers and minor engine tweaks up a little/ or down(power and mpg, CO2) but worth waiting for or forking out because its not "facelifted" I wouldnt.

Personally I quite like the Sport suspension I have in my 06TDI which is probably alot "harder" than the newer generation comparable in fact to the S3 I test drove so for me the "sport" now would be a little soft.

I can answer one question you have very well:

IF you want the s line (18" wheels) then deselection of sport suspension was a MUST for me. It is a fairly firm setup, but comfortable at the same time. Especially coming from the noisy harsh setup on my old SEAT Ibiza.

If you are getting the sport, you'd have to test drive it, since they have thicker rubbers you might find the suspension ok, but if your all about comfort then the SE suspension is the definite choice.

Hope it helps :)

I can answer one question you have very well:

IF you want the s line (18" wheels) then deselection of sport suspension was a MUST for me. It is a fairly firm setup, but comfortable at the same time. Especially coming from the noisy harsh setup on my old SEAT Ibiza.

If you are getting the sport, you'd have to test drive it, since they have thicker rubbers you might find the suspension ok, but if your all about comfort then the SE suspension is the definite choice.

Hope it helps :)

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I currently drive a 54 reg mkv Golf 2.0 tdi 140 bhp. I find the ride ok and acceptable. It's not fantastic but has never made me think it was uncomfrotable.

Moving to an A3 Sport I wouldn't have been bothered or considered the ride of the A3 Sport Sportback, save for the fact that the reviews always seem to mention the ride and advising deselection of Sports suspension.

I drive mostly on Welsh countryside A roads.

If the handling of the Sport is hardly any better than an SE, then I wouldn't be too concerend, but what does bother me is that an A3 Sport with deselected Sport suspension would look rather odd. My Golf has lowered suspension compared to other Golf's and in my opinion looks much better. I wouldn't wnat an A3 where it is obvious that the suspension is not lowered.

It's a pity Audi offfer little advice on this.?

On another question what colourr is best I'm thinking aout Scuba blue or Shiraz Red. My current Golf is Reflex SIlver, so I don't think I can have a silver. SHIRAZ RED CAN LOOK A BIT DULL? Beluga brwon looks ok , but is perhaps a bit of a risk?

Does colour make any difference in resale.?

ALso is the ambient light package worth having? What exactly does it entail

I had thought about the tech pack sat nav - for £1,000 better than the sd card system not sure it is worth it. If it's simialr to the sat nav in a toyoyta prius I sometimes drive it should be ok?

Thank you very much for your help.

Martha

I mean if the sd card sat nav is similar to the Prius sat nav it should be ok.

I've just picked up my Sportback with sport suspension and for me the ride and handling is perfect.

I'm coming from a 2012 Kia Rio, so my perception of a good ride might be off. But compared to the Kia, which would crash and rattle over bumps, the A3's ride is very smooth and glides over any bumps. It's a lot quieter too.

For me, the handling is very precise and gives me a lot of confidence when driving on a few country roads around here.

Looks wise, the sport suspension doesn't look too bad but personally I wouldn't like the look if it was any higher (SE).

You're best off trying to test drive both suspensions as it's really going to be a personal preference.

I think you wolud be fine with the sports suspension, but make sure you have a test drive first to be sure, as it is down to personal preference as to what is a comfortable ride. Deselecting sports suspension will raise the ride height a little and can certainly look a bit odd on an S-Line spec car. Probably slightly less on a sport, but as you mention you already have lowered suspension. I think you'll find the Audi very solid and comfortable, but still with a slightly firmer and sporty ride over an SE.

Beluga isn't a common colour. I don't think I've ever seen one in the road. Greys and silvers and white are the most popular at the moment. Colour shouldn't make too much difference to resale value, unless you have it in bright pink or something really different! Again, it's down to personal preference what colours you like. Mine is Daytona Grey. I'm not keen on Shiraz. I do like the metallic blue's and brighter reds as something different to grey/silver.

The SD Satnav I think is pretty good, and works really well getting you where you need to go. The resolution of the screen isn't particularly high resolution but it does the job. The Satnav in the tech pack is a much better quality, high resolution, and slightly larger screen and is excellent, but if you don't want to shell out £1000 for the option, the standard one should do all you need. It just won't look as sharp and crisp as the tech pack screen.

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Pulp84
Reactions: steeve
Veeeight is spot on. Only you can decide what is comfortable. We all have different ideas and live in areas with differing road surface quality, with different driving styles.

So go to the dealers and try a number of different specs see what suits. You may find that wheel size has quite an impact. Colours, only odd colours will have an impact on resale. Dealers do seem to prefer pearl or metallic paints though. As far as updates, as some one rightly already said if you worried about that you'd never buy a car. Price rises can happen at any time. Exchange rates have an impact, but they are not likely to go down.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll test drive the Sportback Sport with sports suspension and if it's ok opt for that, as I prefer a car with a lower suspension look.

I have been thinking about the ambeint interior lighting - is oit worth it, and what exactly does it light up?

Also does anybody have any experience of the best brokmer for an A3 - Orange wheels seem to have the best price to date.

Thanks

Martha

The problem I find with all the A3 reviews is the assumption that the sports suspension is too hard and I think that opinion is based upon historical evidence that Audi's have had a hard unyielding ride. In comparison with my Mk3 focus, and my partner's new fiesta, I have never once found the sports suspension to be similar to Audi's of the past and to me it gives a good balance between body control, handling and a relaxed drive.

To the OP

Bear in mind the longer wheelbase on the SB 'softens' the suspension somewhat (compared to the 3 door). What most journalist don't advise is whether they're referring to the 3 or 5 door.

I think you'll be okay with the sport suspension.

Cal.

Having taken a S-Line Sportback for a test drive, on a multitude of different quality road surfaces, I can honestly say that I didn't notice any harshness from the stock sports suspension and, more importantly, neither did the wife in the passenger seat. I remember a friend's A3 from several years ago which had sports suspension. That was truly a horridly harsh ride. This in no small part tainted my opinion of the A3's ride. Following the test drive it has properly scrubbed that opinion from my noggin.

That options list is a bit of a love/hate thing isn't it. Loving my 1st A3 but my second will be better, and maybe have an S instead of an A but don't tell the Mrs. She gives me an ear bashing when I floor the Diesel ;)
Just spec as much as you can afford. I came from a ford so expected, and added the comfort pack. Folding mirrors (little bit of class them), bars cos an SB needs em and sports suspension on an Sline Daytona Grey. I may have added more but it's all about the budget and what's important to you. Stuff resale, that's not going to be a problem on thses little gems!

Thanks for everybody's advice especially regarding the suuspension. I think that you can't depend too much on "experts" who raod test. They often test vehicles with different specs or loaded with extras, and their views are out of touch with the normal purchaser.

GRATEFUL FOR ANY ADVICE REGARDING INTERIOR LIGHTING PACKAGE, ALSO ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL. IS acc worth it?

Grateful as well for any comments regarding ordering to getting car. How long does this take?

Can one change options after ordering and for how long?

Advice regading brokers also wlecomed.

Can one pay part of cost of car by credit card? If you get a 0% credit card might it not be worthwhile paying 505 by credit card?
Guys - thanks for all the advice so far - really useful and tidy site this!

Martha

Forgot, I added SD Nav, Tom tom on my IPhone is better and far far far far cheaper but how can you have a class modern car with no Nav?! Even though I know it's not great, I couldn't not spec it!

I bought my SB Sline Quattro as a "stock" car - gave the dealer a list of minimum options I wanted and they found the car, so no option to deselect sport suspension, which niggled me while waiting to take delivery - will I regret it? Not at all - I know it's personal, but I love the ride and handling. Reviews are tosh.

I also got a couple of options I wouldn't have gone for if ordering from fresh.
1 - SD Nav. I hardly use it, but so much better on the pop up screen than suckered to the windscreen.
2 - folding door mirrors. Nice, and like the nearside one automatically looking down at the kerb when you reverse.
3 - anti glare rear view mirror. Would never have spec'd this but will from now on - it's beautiful.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the sport suspension set up.

Martha

You should definitely consider the ILP (interior light package), particularly if you do a lot of night driving or driving in inclement weather (ie the UK lol). Check out all the interior pics on 'post pics of your new 8V' on this forum. Re sports suspension, I've only got standard suspension which is defaulted to dynamic mode ( I think) on my 2014 A3 SB (we have more limited options than Europe/UK) and it is really a very good ride. Re SD card slot, this is particularly useful lf your audio setup only has a single CD slot, just put all your music on an SD card and enjoy (better even than a 6CD stacker in my previous Audi). and although I know it will cause controversy, probably less cumbersome than streaming from your phone etc. But if you want to stream music from Ipod or phone, make sure you get the right factory installations for this (check the A3 sales catalogue). HTH.

As someone who picked shiraz red for their car, i think its one of those colours you really need to see in the flesh. Like you i was deciding between scuba and shiraz, but after seeing them both i went shiraz without hesitation. It look so good when the sun sparkles on it. Pity sepang blue isnt offred as a standard for the a3 otherwise i really would have had a quandry! The interior light package is very good, and i have the standard sports suspension on my s line which is firm enough without being too wallowy in the corners. I love my heated seats though, especially this time of year. The best option hands down in terms of cost is the hill hold assist -never need to touch the handbrake again!

Advice regading brokers also wlecomed.

Can one pay part of cost of car by credit card? If you get a 0% credit card might it not be worthwhile paying 505 by credit card?

Brokers to get quotes from
Orange Wheels
Drive the Deal
Car Wow
Car File
broker4cars
etc.

You normally pay the initial part of the deposit (around £500) by credit card
The balance is by debit card on the day of collection.

Dealers are reluctant to take more than £500 or £1000 by credit card because of the charges, they prefer debit card.
However there is nothing to stop you doing a balance transfer (attracts fees) to your 0% credit card after the event.

I've got a loaner 150 Tdi S line seems fine. Why don't Audi do a quattro in the 184 with manual gearbox?

What sort of discounts on A3, I have heard 14% mentioned

Thanks for everybody's help.

The more I think about things the more questions I have.

Does ACC have to be on for pre sense front to work, or will pre sense front be on all the time you drive the car.

If you have a manual how does ACC work. How will it cope with changing down a gear or would I have to do it.

When you order a new A3 it seems that it takes3 months from ordering to receiving. Can you track build, and how long after build can you change spec.

Is hold assist like the park button on an auto.

Can I charge Annwyl I phone 5 via connector supplied by Audi and can I stream music via the connector without any need for Bluetooth.

Can I use sd card slot to store music if using it for sat nav or is there more than one sd card slot

Many thanks for all the help

There is more than one sd card slot so you canuse sd satnav and music at the same time. The hold assist works to automate the handbrake. Once its on, you just pull away. When you stop and put your foot on the brake, the handbrake engages and stays on till you pull away again. You dont need to keep your foot on the brake either

I read all the reviews and watched all the you tube footage which all said to drop the sports suspension, in the end I kept it on my S-Line 2.0 TDi and have not regretted it one bit. I went from a Honda Civic tdi which would wallow quite a bit in the corners but the A3 with sports suss really holds the corners well and i don't find it teeth rattling hard either.

Thanks - had a look at the FAQ's. One thing I am still not clear on is what cable comes with the A3 to enable charging and connection of phone.

I have Annwyl I phone 5.

I am surprised that the Audi brochure us so unclear in this respect.

Will the cable charge my iPhone and allow me to stream music and use the phone through the Mmi.

What happens if I change my phone.

Thanks for all your help.

Does ACC have to be on for pre sense front to work, or will pre sense front be on all the time you drive the car.

No, pre sense front is on all the time.

If you have a manual how does ACC work. How will it cope with changing down a gear or would I have to do it.

You change gear, cruise control stays on while you do it. If you let the revs go too low and don't change down, ACC will turn itself off after a beep and warning message.

Is hold assist like the park button on an auto.

No. The button is only used to turn it on or off, but you don't generally touch it after you've set it how you want (presumably on if you've ordered it). It comes on automatically when you come to a stop and off when you pull away. If you turn the ignition off, seatbelt off or open the driver's door while hold assist is on, it'll put the handbrake on instead.

Can I charge Annwyl I phone 5 via connector supplied by Audi and can I stream music via the connector without any need for Bluetooth.

I don't understand "Annwyl"... but the cables that are supposed to come with the car are the USB socket and iPhone one (whichever variety you need). Most people ask for more cables and get them though.

Can I use sd card slot to store music if using it for sat nav or is there more than one sd card slot

There's an empty slot I believe. There are 2 slots with the tech pack (assume it's the same with SD nav) so there's a spare one. Not 100% on this though.

There is more than one sd card slot so you canuse sd satnav and music at the same time. The hold assist works to automate the handbrake. Once its on, you just pull away. When you stop and put your foot on the brake, the handbrake engages and stays on till you pull away again. You dont need to keep your foot on the brake either

This isn't quite true - it's the footbrake that the hold assist uses, not the hand/parking brake.

Thanks - had a look at the FAQ's. One thing I am still not clear on is what cable comes with the A3 to enable charging and connection of phone.

I have Annwyl I phone 5.

I am surprised that the Audi brochure us so unclear in this respect.

Will the cable charge my iPhone and allow me to stream music and use the phone through the Mmi.

What happens if I change my phone.

Thanks for all your help.

My car came with a cable with a Lightning connection for an iPhone, so it will work on iPhone 5+. I did email my dealer a few weeks before collection to make sure I got the correct cable, I also asked when ordering.

Thanks very much for all the advice better than that from most dealers.

Can I charge my phone and also use it via Mmi to either phone or stream music.

Is dipped rear view worth havin(, if I take comfort pack seems I can have this and rear parking sensors for about £220 extra.

You mean dimming rear view mirror? I think it's worth having. In my old car I was constantly being annoyed by drivers with badly adjusted lights, or foreign lorries who are set up for driving on the right and don't bother changing anything (far too many of both of these types around). Doesn't happen any more!

Does the A3 have usb and if not what are the consequences of this.

Does the A3 have usb .

Open up the Audi A3 brochure you must have. Pop USB into the search for the PDF. You will find answers to questions such as the above easier and availing less on peoples time that way. To help avoid you even having to do that, look at page 20 and the SE specification!

I am very sorry for troubling everyone. I have read the a3 brochure a number of times, but unfortunately have not worked out the usb. I will look again. Maybe I am a bit slow....,

Thank you

Martha

There is also a very useful search box top right of this forum. Pop in USB and you will get all the relevant results:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/usb-connection.185294/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/usb-charging-port.197792/
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-phone-box.210801/

The FAQs also contain a lot of information about most other topics:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-phone-box.210801/#post-2093971

To answer your specific question:

All UK A3's come with AMI - and you'll get (on request from dealer) 2 AMI cables. A yellow collared cable with Apple Lightning interface for iPhone 5/6, and a USB socket cable. These cables plug into the AMI socket in the cubby box, and you can plug in your phone or HDD to charge, stream music via cable etc.
(Yes, you can also stream music via Bluetooth or WiFi, depending on whether you order Tech Pack etc.)

However - if you order the Audi Phone Box or Tech Pack with Connect
You will get, in addition to the AMI socket in the cubby box, a USB socket, that is used solely for charging.

But do continue to ask questions that aren't clear in the brochure or FAQ - that's what we are here for!

Reactions: Pulp84, mister.c. and Blackwhite