Flywheel?

tally2425

Reaction score
Had this problem for a while now but going to get it sorted, I have an Audi A3 2.0 FSI Sport (2005)

The symptoms i have are:

1. Between 1-2k revs it sounds like a chain noise when revving up
2. when i rev and release quickly whilst driving it makes the car stutter and the revs jump up and down
3. i have a slight rough idle when stationary

before i bite the bullet i want to make sure that it is the flywheel causing the problem, any ideas guys?

I presume you have checked oil levels etc. The TFSI is a very ticky sounding engine anyway but excessive rattles might relate to a timing chain problem.

The lumpy idle and stuttering is more than likely down to the PCV valve. It's a 5 min job easily changed yourself and not too expensive.

Hope that helps.

I presume you have checked oil levels etc. The TFSI is a very ticky sounding engine anyway but excessive rattles might relate to a timing chain problem.

The lumpy idle and stuttering is more than likely down to the PCV valve. It's a 5 min job easily changed yourself and not too expensive.

Hope that helps.

Oil levels are fine and was serviced around 8 months ago, also this is a non turbo version, i shall ask a garage to check my timing chain before i do get the flywheel done,

PCV has been bought from audi already and will be getting fitted soon, thanks for your help!

Ahh fair play. I highly doubt it would be the flywheel because usually you would only feel it through the clutch and hear it slightly on idle and it's rare for the flywheel to fail on lower torque engines like the FSI.

Ahh fair play. I highly doubt it would be the flywheel because usually you would only feel it through the clutch and hear it slightly on idle and it's rare for the flywheel to fail on lower torque engines like the FSI.

How does it feel on the clutch? will it be like vibrations? anything else i should look out for?

How does it feel on the clutch? will it be like vibrations? anything else i should look out for?

Yeah you would feel a slight vibration through your foot when pushing and releasing the clutch pedal. That's about it mate :)

I'll keep an eye out for it

What i have noticed aswell even when on idle and i rev it i can sort of her the chain/metal noise with it not been in gear will this rule out the flywheel?

Best way to figure out is to identify where exactly the noise is coming from. The gearbox or the engine. The only other thing I can think of that would cause a rattle would be the release bearing on the clutch starting to fail.

Will do, i'll be taking it to the garage this week, hopefully it's not the flywheel just because of the expense!

Thanks for you help!