Speedo and Rev counter only working intermittently

AudiA3V5

Reaction score
Hi all,

As Title really, my speedo and rev counter have a mind of their own and keep intermittently stop working.

Had a google etc and found a number of similarish issues all referring to some cluster and mentions of having to send cluster off to be repaired.

So is this likely to be my issue?

If so can someone enlighten me more on the issue, who best to fix, how much etc?

It's an 02 1.8T petrol but has 145k on the clock and an MOT due, so not wanting to spend big on the repair etc as car value probably not huge now as it is. Lol.

Cheers

J

I have no reader or anything, so can't see any fault codes. Nothing on the dash. I notice that the LCD screen also goes down when the Speedo and Rev counter does. The temp and fuel guage stay as normal though.

Not sure if there is like a pedal test or anything on these cars to pull codes? Or where else would you be able to get them?

Get a code reader dude... finding electrical faults on these cars almost always has to start with a scan for fault codes... need the clues to be able to make any form of diagnosis...

Could be dodgy wiring, speed sensor, ECU fault etc... all the electrical/electronic modules talk on the comms line and log fault codes... a scan is a must...

Info on kit to use can be found in here..
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...lp-please-read-before-posting-updated.168407/

<tuffty/>

I had similar issues, in fact the way you describe the symptoms these are exact to the letter, other than LCD screen, my car is too old for that, but it shouldn't matter. my cluster was all or nothing. I think I had several warning lights, but that's due to a different circuit.

This is just a test - Try removing the cluster and plugging it back in. Drop the steering wheel with the adjustment Lever. Pull the shroud away from the bottom of the instrument cluster. there are 2 torx screws holding the cluster in place. remove the cluster carefully. disengage the two harnesses from the back. Now is a good time to take the VDO number from the back of the cluster. I had a barcode sticker which showed the part number on it. on reassembly, you may find it has cured your problem, or you'll probably find that it has not. but either way you now know what it isn't - a bad connection at the cluster.
it doesn't hurt to start looking for second hand Clusters. I paid £30 for mine. bare in mind that there is a procedure to changing the Clocks due to the built-in immobilizer. If you change the cluster without recoding, you will not start your car. your current car keys are programmed to your current cluster. change cluster, reprogram keys to new cluster. there is also an element of hard coding the new cluster to the ECU.

in total it cost me £50 to change my cluster, but I have also gained experience in code reading using the laptop which is priceless. the second hand cluster cost £30.

Slightly late reply, but car went in for MOT today and failed for a few other things, so not sure whether to sell spares and repair and get new car, or repair and keep this one. lol.

As for code reading etc, I've done plenty before on my old Vauxhalls etc, but as and old run about car I didn't want to have to invest in bits and pieces in order to read codes as I thought the MOT could be tricky! lol