S3 sportback Manual/STronic

Status
Not open for further replies.

davieg

Reaction score
as the title suggests. Going to be ordering an S3 in a few months but i can't decide on which gearbox to go for. Ive driven both models but i can't make a decision. Heart says manual and head says Auto.

Does anybody have pros and cons for both?

Pros of a manual - the car does exactly what you tell it to. Also stop start function is better on a manual.
Pros of auto. Much nicer to drive on the commute of stop start traffic.

advantage of the S -Tronic is that you can use it as a Manual whenever you wish to do so.

ill only be driving the car in my spare time as i work offshore. so for that reason I'm swaying more towards manual. The noise of the stronic when changing gear though... WOW!

Faster shifts with the Stronic auto box so faster straight line acceleration

If you get the S-tronic with ACC then the car will automatically adjust the speed from 0 to 70+ mph.

Reactions: WeeDram
Suspect you'll do well to find an unbiased view to this question on here.

For my part I decided to forgo the farts and retain control over the whole gearchanging process - not just flicking a paddle. I don't regret it for a minute.

'Lunch control' :oops: apart I still have a suspicion, from test drives and owners' posts on here, that there is a hesitation off the line (which in my view is more important that milliseconds in straight line acceleration) which will mean both transmissions yield a near identical 0-62mph figure in every day driving. Oh, and the occasional need for a reboot? No thanks.
Fuel consumption benefits of the DSG are never going to regain the >£1k price tag.
So, unless you're in Oz, where the two transmissions are the same price, its a no-brainer.

I'll just lower my head below the parapet.....heh heh

I went for manual on the salesperson's advice! I took the S tronic for a test and thought "Hmm I like this", told him that I may pay the extra for it and he said "I'd go for manual on this type of car as it's a more involving drive, you get bored with the s tronic rather quickly". Which was a nice surprise as normally salespeople are out for every penny they can get off you.

Since ordering I have spoken to a few people that have owned both and they have liked both for various reasons...it's a hard choice, but for me I think I'd miss the left foot down and ramming it into the gear I want!

TBH I think you'd be happy with either.....go with your heart, after all it's a car for fun not for being sensible!!! :)

Reactions: Gordo77 and Rob2k68
Just keep listening to that noise the STronic makes and that should make your mind up.

I have always had manuals until recently and on the M135i got an auto and must say I prefer it. Love the ease of driving especially in traffic and you can have fun with the paddles. The noise on up shift is even better in the BM and I will miss that, though it does sound quite nice in the S3 too.

I do miss the instant shift downs from 5th / 4th gear down to 2nd and foot down I used to enjoy that in the Focus RS and that kind of control cannot be retained in an auto.

Maybe drive one of each again and see if that helps.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of FAQ and use the search frequently - but people come and go, time moves on and opinions are refined and changed. We mustn't choke off new members' enthusiasm with the mantra of 'look in FAQ'

(just being Devil's Advocate):devilish:

Except that every thread on manual or S-tronic always descends to the same place.

Last edited:
I've had manuals for 30 years and always hated autos. For various reasons I decided to go auto this time. I've had my S-Tronic 5 days but am loving it already, it's quick, sounds good, easy to use, can still be manual, more economical and great in traffic. I'm sold.

However, if I was just buying it as a fun car for weekends I'd probably still go for a manual.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of FAQ and use the search frequently - but people come and go, time moves on and opinions are refined and changed. We mustn't choke off new members' enthusiasm with the mantra of 'look in FAQ'

(just being Devil's Advocate):devilish:
What I'm trying to do DF is stop the endless duplicate posts about the same subjects

No choking of new members enthusiasm by any means, just pointing new members in the right direction (or trying too!)

So we'll be seeing this threat getting locked next then?
Can be arranged ;)
:laugh:

So please BH reinstate my post , entitled 'electronic handbrake', that was taken out a few minutes ago that asked a genuine question.

You were warned DickiePhitt

Don't spoil it for the other ASN members

Status
Not open for further replies.