Is this oil correct?

norris_309

Reaction score
After my topic about buying oil from eBay,
This morning I called the local vw dealer & got a price of £43 for quantum long life oil.
I managed to get 10% off so thought it wasn't too bad a price for the long life oil.

I'm going to change it yearly anyway and do under 10k a year.

On collecting the oil I'm now not sure if its the correct stuff?
For my pd engined golf I've always had the quantum platinum 505.1 spec (I think)
This however doesn't state that, the spec is as follows.

Longlife 0w 30 fully synthetic
Spec vw 503 00/506 00/506 01

I specifically asked about in this being suitable for pd engines, the guy walked out the back and came back saying its fine, it exceeds what I usually buy... He did also say its fine for cars with dpf but the bottle states it isn't!!

But now looking into it, looks like its 505 01 for yearly & 507 00 for the longlife intervals?

Anyone know if this'll be ok? For 1.9 avf pd engine?

He's ripped you off with the old 506.01 0W30 LongLife which the better 507.00 5W30 superceded.

Here's the difference between the two.
Chart 1

Say away from long life oil it's crap put castrol edge in

Stop being silly.

It's the 2 year/20k interval that gives problems not the oil.

LongLife oils are superior .

Castrol Edge VW 5W30 is a LongLife oil anyway , lol.

Last edited:
So this is the older version?
They guy was a bit unsure of everything..
Looking on ebay, that oil is a lot more expensive than the 5w30 long life 3??
So I'll be OK for my car then? That's the main thing.

I did what I should have done earlier & checked the manual and it says 506 01 in there, granted the manual is from 2004.

I'm with you on the long life intervals being no good, I was just going to use the long life oil and change it yearly.

Just don't want to put the wrong oil in, but looks like this'll be ok

Your book is correct as mine is for my AVF and says 506.01 too . But later that year in 2004 507.00 was born and replaced 506.01 so 507.00 won't be in our books.

Handbooks stay the same whilst oil development continues.

As you can see from the web chart the newer 507.00 out performs 506.01 , an oil that fills the web is more superior.

Why put 2nd best in !

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, I'm surprised they still sell that stuff then?
Wonder how much the 507 00 is then??..
That be longlife 3 then.
I was going to get the cheaper 505 01 originally, I gather 506 01 is better than that?

Chart 3

Not alot in it , 506.01 better for Fuel economy , Wear and a bit better on Piston deposits .

505.01 better than 506.01 for Soot thickening , After treatment compatibility and a bit better at dealing with Sludge.

Stop being silly.

It's the 2 year/20k interval that gives problems not the oil.

LongLife oils are superior .

Castrol Edge VW 5W30 is a LongLife oil anyway , lol.
Is actually castrol edge professional 111 which is long life

They still sell 506.01 as some engines are recommended for its use , V10 , R5 and Commercial.

Last edited:
My local tps won't sell to public unfortunately.
Wondering whether to bother changing it now or just keep it, as long as its correct spec, dont want to risk any damage, but it sounds like its ok,
not sure if I can get back to the dealer tomorrow and was going to change it Saturday morning.
Just remember for next time.

Its annoying that castrol edge is only 4 litres!
Asda is selling that for £30 at the minute. But isn't the a4 just over 4 litres to fill

Always used Quantum Platinum on my car, it's now on 209k, & doesn't use a drop between 9k services!
Just did an oil change last week, & it was £22 from TPS.

Quantum platinum, that's the 505 01 spec yeah?? That's what I use on my TDI golf.
Was just going to carry on using long life 507 00 as my a4 has always had that.
Obviously still going to change it yearly.

Wont know until I go. Trade discount varies from product to product. Its usually good on part, tools and oil.

Just popped back down the VW dealer & enquired about the oil.
I've swapped the 506.01 for the longlife 3 507 00, they guy wondered why I wanted it.
He said I asked for 'dp' oil .... and the 506 01 was for DPFs... (hence dp) I actually said PD..
I then pointed out the 506 01 states excluding DPFs.. .. 'oh' he said.

Then got me the 507 00, and said that's way over specced for my engine, it's low ash, and for the cars with dpfs.

Oh well, I've got the 507 00 in the end.