Just got my new A4 tdi sport:)

A3Lee

Reaction score
Hi everyone....

Now on my 6th Audi...and have got rid of the A3 tdi quattro sport which was running 185 bhp.

ive now gone more sensible and bought a 03 A4 tdi sport in amulet red with the 17 inch 5 spoke alloys on.

the drive and handleing is fantastic...actually handles better with better body control with my old A3.

i might go for the body kit which audi supplies...1300 quid apparently, does anynoe have any other suggestions for a bodykit??

im not chipping this car, leaving the car standard in the performance stakes as i had clutch issues with the A3..

didnt go for amulet by choice but now ive got it i really like it.

Funny thing is alot of peeps have called it an old mans car...what a cheek off someone driving a xantia LOL

i had a 90 20v quattro at 22 and no one mentioned anything about a 4 door car then...

anyway very pleased with it and will be bringing it to a meet or two, only prob is it needs new stereo unit as the chorus keeps flicking to lrft speakers only...audi know about the problem.

oh test drove the BMW 320d sport also....and stuck with audi.

Lee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Lee, just out of interest,
Did you buy your A4 new?
Was it in stock or did you order it?
Did you get a discount?
What didn`t you like about the 320d?

Just asking because I`m about to go diesel, Looking at A4`s, 320d`s and possibly used 330d`s.

Wolfsburger, excuse me for butting in here but I was in a very similar situation to Lee, you may find useful.

Bought a new 130 Sport (Atlas Grey) in March, to answer your questions:

Was in stock

Got a discount (or more accurately, increased trade-in of approx £1500). Hard work though, took me most of the day!

Had a 320d ES for a day. Straight away didn't like offset pedals, they are off centre to the right quite noticeably.
Centre console squeaked badly. No climate (though this is standard on SE), just basic A/C. Pretty quick though but when you turned the engine off the whole car rocked from side-to-side! Deal wasn't quite so good but plenty of cars in stock. And last but not least - it's a Beemer!

Made the right choice and never looked back.

Hiya wolf!!

The A4 i bought was a demo, june 03, with 3k on the clock but totally unmarked!

i got 2k off the list price if id ordered it new with that spec and they gave me 3k over trade for my A3 which was a march 02 with 41k on the clock!!! i realise they must of had profit in the car to do this deal but i was getting bids of 12.5k for my A3 and that was trade.

Ive driven a few 320ds, the none sport model looks very mundane, the sport looks better with the M kit on it and 18 inch rims.

Bmw were doing a deal on 320ds where you got 2 k off list or 2 k more for your trade in and free sercing for 2 years or 60 , which was very good i thought.

But the car just felt like an old mans car, didnt like the interior smell, it felt lethargic even though it was quick on paper, and the finish and buld quality just wasnt a patch on the A4 IMHO.

i just couldnt look at the dashboard, the clock binnacle was identical to what was in my 320i of 1985 c reg!!!

The boot looked smaller and to me the look is more fussy than the A4.

On the road the gearchange was slicker than the A4 but on A/B roads IMHO the A4 was more controlled and cornered better, probably due to 235.45.17 rubber of the A4.

i think in both varients you need to get the sport models, if i had 330d money id may have gone for that, sounds good and torque that you wouldnt believe....lovely quick motor.

But buying nearly new or new the 330 is uite abit more.

anyway horses for courses, go and try em and see for yourself, but im a audi fan so im biased but do prefer the image of audi over bmw which also swung it!!!

Lee

oh and quite rightly said by mark the pedal offset is a pain...wasnt keen on that, no sqeeks though but it did feel agricultural and the engine was noisey on the 320d.

i had a S3 for half a day and loved it, then went to the bmw dealer, picked up 320d sport for the afternoon and took it back after 45 mins. suumed it up really.

Lee

Cheers for the replies guys!

That made quite interesting reading, the 320d, as Lee said, looks very good on paper and that`s what attracted me to it. I`ll have to try them both out at some time I guess. I`m looking to change around December time, not too fussed if it`s new or not, if I can find a demo at the right price then fair enough, I`ll take it.

I`ll be sad to see my S3 go but the economics of running it have finally brought about the change, what kind of mpg do you guys get? (I know it varies with driving conditions etc).

All advice greatly appreciated!

PS, did either of you look at a Volvo S60 D5?

Hiya wolf....i didnt look at the volvo, but an m8 has one with the D5 engine...been in it, very smooth and refined!!

as with ecomnomics i understand...i had a impreza turbo before the A3 and just couldnt fuel it any longer with a annual mileage of 34k a year....

in my A3 which was chipped, i got 570 miles regular on 42 quid...

i picked A4 up last friday with a full tank and its done 400 miles with over quater of a tank to go, comp showing another possible 200 miles with current driving style, but i dont feel like i want to thrash the A4...different driving style so it should be more economical, insurance half price, and 20k service intervals or there abouts with the audi.

hope this helps...330d not as economical but theres alot more performance.

Lee

Lee, the 330d is a long shot.

Part of me wants to keep a bit of performance and get a bit of economy and part of me says if you`re going for economy (and saving cash) then I may as well go the whole hog.

I`ve got a mate with a Golf PD 150 and he says he`ll not go back to petrol unless he`s forced to. I`d look at one of them if they weren`t up for the chop soon.

Hi again,

Fuel consumption: if it's nearly all town driving we are getting 42/43mpg or thereabouts. On a long motorway run we've had 51mpg (that's nearly 700 miles to a tank!). Car was still quite new then so might be even better now.

Quite like S60's, pretty powerful and nice inside and out. Depreciation puts me off. I do some work for our Fleet area and I see the invoice price we pay for cars. Don't want to quote exact figures but BIG discounts on S60s (i.e. 3k plus!). Anyway, the wife refused point blank to consider one so that was the end of that.

If you do go for an A4 remember that there are both 5 speed and 6 speed 130 models. 6 speed is about an extra £150. I got carried away when we got a deal to our liking and forgot to specify I wanted a 6 speeder. D'oh! If you look carefully in the handbook you will see that Audi quote different peak torque figures for the 5sp and 6sp. 6 speed gets an extra 19lb ft but is produced at slightly more revs.

I don't know if that means there are implications in chipping a 5 sp, i.e. are they as sturdy and how much more power can it handle vs a 6 sp one?

Have you thought about an X-Type diesel? I know, I know. Good reviews though. Must be getting old. Is that the time? Must put my pipe down, snuggle into my slippers, take my teeth out and have my afternoon nap til Countdown comes on with that nice Richard Whitely.

Hello Mark,

I didn`t know that about the A4`s gearbox, I`ll try for a six speed if I can, I`ve been to look at an S60 and was quite impressed, haven`t driven one though.

Not really interested in the Jag, just doesn`t look right.

To be honest, it`ll be between the A4 and 320d, I`ll get some pricelists this weekend and test the water re delivery time and possible discounts. We`ll see what happens!

H mark, wolf,

mines a june 03 and mine is a 6 speed, and my last A3 was 6 speed also, id defo get a six speed, just feels better having the extra gear. plus i know its sad but everyone that looks in ooooo 6 speed box LOL.

The 320d sport also comes with the six speed box.

good luck over the weekend and let us know how you get on!

i also think id be worried about depreciation on the volvo, and also worried about mark.....volvo....jag LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lee

Also fogot to mention, just filled it up after a week, and it did 600 miles of 44 quid, that was combined, little bit of motorway and back roads with some town driving chucked in.

so i look forward to taking it on a long motorway journey to see what it will do.

apparently the 150 pdtdi golfs arent as refined as the 130, bit harsh ive been told but for waht i reason i dont know, but they will drop too i expect once the new shape is out.

Lee

[ QUOTE ]
A3lee said:apparently the 150 pdtdi golfs arent as refined as the 130, bit harsh ive been told but for waht i reason i dont know, but they will drop too i expect once the new shape is out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 150 golf is really noisy and not just because I have a diesel loathing. Compared to the 1.9TDi 130 A4 and the 2.5TDI A4 and also the 130TDi A3, it is agricultural. Noisy perhaps due to the inferior and now dated dynamics of the golf IV and the amount of power being extracted from the unit...

message to wolfburger
I was nearly going to the BM camp after haveing a GOLF for 2 years.
I went for the 330D as it looked good on paper and a few of my friends have 320d's. I only kept in a week!!!, it was the biggest ball of rubbish, only able to do somewhere between 30 & 35mpg - might as well drive a 2litre petrol
The 2nd hand dealer took it back luckly enough, and lent me the 2002 A4 130TDI SE, i was converted much much better car in every way, and does 50mpg easily. And not an OLD mans car!