Brake pads and disks replacement

Tony1982

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm asking for a friend and info is limited at the moment as she has no clue with cars and I've not seen hers.

Basically she has a 2006 A4 2 litre petrol Quattro (all the info I could get), and she heard screeching from one of the front wheels as she was braking, she took it to a garage to have a look at and they've said she needs all her disks and pads changing, and quoted her 700 bucks!

I haven't seen her car yet so I don't know the exact model, if it's a b6 or b7, or if she does need all the brakes changing but either way 700 sounds a bit steep.

I'll be meeting her tomorrow to have a look as she may have been told the truth and she may well need all the disks and pads changing, but by the sound of what she describes, it sounds like it's just the brake pad wear indicator making contact and I doubt all 4 corners would be ready for change at the same time especially as she tells me the car has always been looked after.

Is it common for them all to wear that they all need replacing at the same time?

How much would it be on average to change all?

Sounds about right for audi dealer price but then they're a complete rip off. Would imagine half that at Indy would be more realistic price.

Has she noticed brake pad wear light come up on dash? It may be pads are fine but discs are about shot. IF you changed disks then you need to change pads also.

If they're not worn to the point of needing replacement the squeal could be cured by something as simple as removing pads and reapplying some copper grease between back of pads and caliper Pistons.

Yeah thats the thing, she went to some back street spanner monkey not an Audi dealer hence why I thought it sounded steep. She has no light on the dash either.

Thanks for the reply mate it has helped.

depending on when the car was last mot'd and how many miles it has covered since the mot, if they were really worn down etc an advisory note wouldm be on the mot if the disks were worn or pads were low.
cant see that all four corners would need doing all together though , the rate of wear is different from front to back.
maybe best to give her the details of a decent indy in herarea and they will give the best advice on the way to go forward, never rely on just one backstreet quote.