2.0T FSI Knocking Noise

dg1980

Reaction score
Hi,

I brought a 2.0T FSI Quattro around a month ago and love the car apart from which sounds like a dull thud / knocking noise from the engine. When the car is cold from start up and the revs are a little higher it is virtually unnoticeable. When the car warms up this is when you notice the sound on idle and throughout the rev range. The engine runs perfect with no lose of power or idle problems etc. if anyone could identify the problem from the video attached this would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

I brought a 2.0T FSI Quattro around a month ago and love the car apart from which sounds like a dull thud / knocking noise from the engine. When the car is cold from start up and the revs are a little higher it is virtually unnoticeable. When the car warms up this is when you notice the sound on idle and throughout the rev range. The engine runs perfect with no lose of power or idle problems etc. if anyone could identify the problem from the video attached this would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Hey buddy

Can't see any videos attached

Please see the video on the link below.

I think this sounds completely normal (using my mobile speakers). The clicking noise comes mostly from the N80 valve found next to the intake manifold/diverter valve, and from the HPFP (cam follower hitting intake camshaft lobe)

May I ask what's the milage on the car?
I would check the cam follower for any damage/replace if needed.
Have you checked for any DTC codes using VCDS? As the N80 valve will store a code if it has failed.

Thanks for the replies guys. The car has covered 76k with the last service at 72k. The noise seems to be from the left hand side (alternator) of the engine. I will check the cam follower and also check for any fault codes.