If not an S3....

Dude my wife has been badgering on about New York for over 2 years, so a week before I ordered the car I booked 7 nights for us. She was so chuffed, not only did I get no grief over the car but I even ended up buying a 55inch curved Samsung tv.View attachment 49598

A man after my own heart.LOL got myself a Sammy 65F9000 last year for my "Man Den"
IMAG0410

Reactions: Rob2k68
A basic S3 Yes but spec it up to nearly the 40K mark..game changer?
I pretty much did that myself, and would still struggle to find another car I like as much. Maybe it's still the honeymoon period for me but I am over the moon with the new beast!

Reactions: Psyman79, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Err, what?!

How is a C63 AMG in any way comparable to an S3? Totally different car that costs twice as much.

You may as well say "if I didn't buy an S3 I'd have had a McLaren P1"

Pretty much sums up most of the replies on this thread. Might as well just ask, "What car would you buy if you won the lottery".

To answer the OP, I would probably go for the Golf R 3dr as a 2nd choice, cant really think on anything else that matches the s3 in that category as Im not a Seat fan.

Its easily done speccing a Audi,my first Audi so its a small leap of faith for me,previous 2 cars where white..l am so looking forward to a dash of Sepang Blue....in my life lol

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant
IMAG0390
IMAG0455
Pretty much sums up most of the replies on this thread. Might as well just ask, "What car would you buy if you won the lottery".

To answer the OP, I would probably go for the Golf R 3dr as a 2nd choice, cant really think on anything else that matches the s3 in that category as Im not a Seat fan.

Here is my Lottery Car's LOL
Huracan 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68, s3_trev and Psyman79
Conclusion from this thread is that nothing comes close to the S3 in that price/class.

In Australia, with the premium charged for Mercedes or BMW a A45 or M135 are about $15,000 more expensive and a base model RS3 when it arrives is rumoured to be at least $20,000 more than a fully specced S3, keeping in mind our as S3 come with a fair few options as standard.

The Golf R, here doesn't get all the options here available in the UK, which significantly downgrades its exterior and interior (wheels & entertainment/nav units) and when I bought by S3 it was a only a couple of grand cheaper. btw I did test drive the R on our local race track, extremely competent and fast, but not really fun.

Lottery car's...l was the electrical engineer on a new Maclaren car showroom in my home town of Hamilton,Scotland next to the Bentley showroom....these photos where just of a few cars on the Forecourt the Lambo/Audi...LOL just blew them all away in the car design stakes.The Lambo Huracan was the first one in the UK...back in August 2014

330d xdrive and 430d xdrive or 435d Xdrive took 330d xdrive for a spin nice drive but omg the interior made me fall asleep. I'm tall so head room in 4 series was a no go don't even ask about the space in the back. I've never liked audis one test drive of s3 I was sold. But I find it slow after 60mph :thumbs up: my type r feals more thrilling to drive that vtec kicking in:arco: think s3 more sensible help me not to crash like all my other cars.

330d xdrive and 430d xdrive or 435d Xdrive took 330d xdrive for a spin nice drive but omg the interior made me fall asleep. I'm tall so head room in 4 series was a no go don't even ask about the space in the back. I've never liked audis one test drive of s3 I was sold. But I find it slow after 60mph :thumbs up: my type r feals more thrilling to drive that vtec kicking in:arco: think s3 more sensible help me not to crash like all my other cars.

Slow after 60mph? as in things are overtaking you etc or it feels very refined after 60 and drama free? It's intersting point as my mrs is adamant that my Focus RS was much faster than the M135i and I put it down to build quality and insulation, the BMW and Audi maybe don't feel as fast as they are well insulated and so refined?

Reactions: David83S3
The acoustic insulation is a good point. Ever since my test drive I've noticed how much external noise there is in my current car!

You may as well say "if I didn't buy an S3 I'd have had a McLaren P1"

Have been shown round the McLaren factory... £100m worth of cars in one open plan space ...seriously impressive!!!!

For pure go cart like fun on a public road I would go for a Mini JCW

Focus RS - front wheel drive

BMW 3 series - rear wheel drive

If I sat in the back of the Focus it would be a different experience than sat in the front. Same in the BMW - sat over the wheels in the rear it feels faster.

With Haldex under hard acceleration torque will be shifted to the rear - so I'd agree it doesn't "feel" as fast.

with the same amount of money again I'd probably look at buying a used Porsche Cayman quite a few people have said to me why buy an S3 with that amount of money you could have had so many other cars!

If you want a go cart for the public road, has to be an Atom.

Been round the 'ring in one :D

Respect and fair point, but on a day like today the atom woukd be a bit nippy in more ways than one...lol

How many chavs you know own a type r?
lmao don't get all Honda protective! I don't know any chavs and wouldn't want to know any! I merely stated in my opinion it 'looks' a bit chav due to all the in your face spoilers :) Maybe I'm just getting old :p

Reactions: Jassyo06
break the news.... this must be a wife thing. My girlfriend just states "it's your money, what you do with it, is your business".

That's exactly the difference between having a girlfriend and being married. It's not just your money when your married... unfortunately...

Reactions: JudderMan and Jassyo06
Very interesting thread this with a few BMW fans, a Marque l would never go anywhere near,l just dont like the interiors of them full stop,l know have chosen the right car the S3 :icon thumright: I am 52 years young:) still got that passion for hot hatchbacks the Type R and the new Focus RS where on my list, being a previous owner of a FN2 and existing owner of a MK3 ST3 so i know how good they are,l like the exterior of the Golf R especially in 3 door form in Lapiz Blue but not the interior,also with the Golf R its residuals will be a lot worse with all these leasing deals going on from £200/month.

BMW residuals are really bad. From my 10 years plus experience of buying mostly BMW's or cars from the VAG group I have lost considerably more on BMW's come trade in time. In fact I won't buy one ever again because the brand has a big issue with it.

For example - my best friend is just in the process of trying to get out of his nearly two year old 3 Series M Sport plus. Decent spec but certainly not over the top. £36k new after discount and just been offered £17k trade in for it from BMW. £19k depreciation in two years is horrific. Don't think the Golf R even with lease gate will be that bad.

BMW dealer in Swindon told my friend that BMW know it's an issue and are now offering "negative equity loans" to keep people in the brand. I **** you not. That's a new one on me. VAG certainly don't offer that and I don't think they will need too.

I'm a fan of BMW's (have one as a company car) but I would never buy one personally again

Residuals wouldn't bother me. I keep cars for a long time and I treat the purchase of each one as money written off, with any resale money being a bonus.

We bought our Fiesta when it was 4 years old and with 22k on the clock. We kept it for just short of 7 years, put another 140k on it and sold it for £500 when we bought the Audi. We bought the Cougar in 2009 for £2k and still have her, I estimate we've probably put another £4k into her upkeep during that time and the current market value for a 'minter' is around £1k on a good day.

BMW residuals are really bad. From my 10 years plus experience of buying mostly BMW's or cars from the VAG group I have lost considerably more on BMW's come trade in time. In fact I won't buy one ever again because the brand has a big issue with it.

For example - my best friend is just in the process of trying to get out of his nearly two year old 3 Series M Sport plus. Decent spec but certainly not over the top. £36k new after discount and just been offered £17k trade in for it from BMW. £19k depreciation in two years is horrific. Don't think the Golf R even with lease gate will be that bad.

BMW dealer in Swindon told my friend that BMW know it's an issue and are now offering "negative equity loans" to keep people in the brand. I **** you not. That's a new one on me. VAG certainly don't offer that and I don't think they will need too.

I'm a fan of BMW's (have one as a company car) but I would never buy one personally again
o
That's really poor your friends car has halved in price in 2 years,well my fully optioned Humble Ford Focus ST3 cost me £26,500 after a £2k discount,l got £16,200/20k miles for it from a Audi dealership.....A Ford dealership offered me only £14,800

Reactions: Pulp84
Yep - my A1 Black Edition was £22.5k new (after £1k discount) and after two years old got £15.7k trade in. Audi weren't doing me a favour as we buy any car offered be £15.9k.

Says it all in my book.

Considered an M3 before the S3 but could not bring myself to live with the running costs of a 4.0 v8!

Maybe when I save a bit more could have a v8 as a weekend toy, hopefully by the time I have saved enough the R8's will be even lower in 2nd hand prices..

If I was in the market for another hot hatch type car it would have been a Megane 275 with Ohlins specced. This is the best driving car in this segment, without a doubt.
I wasn't though and replaced my S3 with a RS5.