Resyncing Keys

dts439

Reaction score
Hi All,

Posting on here in case anyone has something similar with an A3. Our A1 has advanced key and for a while has complained that the battery in both key fobs were getting weak.

I tried changing the battery in one fob, but it stopped working the remote. I put the old battery back in and the remote started working again. Checked the new battery and it was fine. Tried again and still did not work. Led is coming on but does not unlock/lock remotely.

Tried again today and tried to use the resync procedure from the manual (press unlock on fob, unlock car with key, press lock or unlock on fob). But does not work.

I then tried another method where you turn on the ignition with another key, and then unlock/lock in the drivers door.

This just had the effect of making both keys not work remotely!

I can still start the car with both keys (ny pressing it to the side of the sterring column), but further resyn procedures for either key did not work.

Any ideas? Or is it over to the dealer?

I changed batteries in both keys a while ago and didn't have any problems. (a3 with advanced key) i have no idea why putting the old battery back in would make it work but the new battery not. Def the right battery and put in the right way round?

Thanks Andy, yes the right way around and the right battery (CR2032). I did this about 3 or 4 times over a couple of weeks and always the same effect so I just put the old battery back in. Does seem strange.

Previously I have exchanged the batteries and they worked first time without any resync. It may well be a problem with the remote control module.

I'm sure there's a video on YouTube. Goes something like, working key in ignition, uncoded in door lock and turn it.

Hi Jordan,

That's what I tried at the very end and it unsynced the other key, so both do not operate the remote.

May try again later. Seems to only affect the remote locking. If I touch the key against the steering column it starts OK (and resets the alarm).

Hi,

Yes this is what I tried last. It had the effect of making the key that was used to turn the ignition on lose the remote access.

Not sure if Advanced key works differently.

If your cars under warranty then just take it back to the dealer to code it? I'm sure it doesn't take lpng

Hi Jordan. Yes I'll see if I can get it in tomorrow.

Tried to find a definitive procedure for re-matching or un-learning remotes for the A1 (or even the 8V) and failed. All the procedures I found were for older models (which may well work, but not on our car). Still not sure if the keyless makes a difference either.

You may have bought old batteries (old as in age and not used) especially as they don't seem powerful enough to provide an unlock signal. Get new batteries, or take the fobs in to your dealer and get them to change the batteries for you, then if they don't work right they'll fix it.

Hi Steeve, took car in and dealer recoded the keys for me with no problems. Batteries were OK.

Before I took it in I ran VCDS and it timed out trying to read the Central Conv module (46) which I'd never seen before so perhaps it was just that module that was screwed and needed a reset.