English is a funny language when it comes to car parts

WeeDram

Reaction score
Being a Canadian on a UK-based forum it's interesting to see the differences in automotive-related terminology. We all speak English so I wonder why cars in particular have so many different words for the same thing, excluding slang. Other than the occasional word like chemist/pharmacy, I can't think of any other subject area where it's like we're speaking a foreign language. Off the top of my head:

boot - trunk
bonnet - hood
hood - roof (on a cabriolet/convertible)
windscreen - windshield
wheel arch - fender
damper - shock absorber
silencer - muffler
prop shaft - driveshaft
indicator - turn signal
tickover - idle
saloon - sedan
estate - station wagon
sportback - hatchback
cabriolet - convertible
lorry - truck
articulated lorry - transport truck
caravan - trailer, camper
petrol - gas
motorway - highway
dual carriageway - divided highway
slip road - on ramp/off ramp
outside lane - passing lane
junction - intersection
flyover - overpass
diversion - detour
pavement - sidewalk
bitumen (?) - pavement or asphalt (the stuff the road is paved with)
valeting - detailing

Then there's the spelling differences tyre/tire, kerb/curb, ...

Maybe it's related to the side of the road we drive on!

Reactions: Blackwhite
Bitumen is more commonly known as Tarmac, i know its a brand but it's a bit like Velcro

Iv also always known the propshaft to run between the gearbox and diff, the driveshaft is from diff to wheels.

My aunt is from NJ so I'm used to it lol! Most people don't understand when I say the word cooties, and I remember when I first learned about pants being trousers haha! Been a while since Iv been the other side of the pond though, I have a lot of family in Canada supposidly, we was supposed to emigrate but the waiting list was too long then our visa's came through and our circumstances had drastically changed so never made it, I can't say it's was a shame but it could of been an opertunity missed, as Canada is beautiful from what Iv seen.

Edit: oh and fanny being the word for bottom haha! That still tickles me lol!

Reactions: WeeDram
My friend has emigrated to Australia and works in IT took him a while to work out why they all laughed about his problems with Routing.