Rattle noise, is this oil pump chain?

Ash92

Reaction score
Morning all,

Just started the car up and theres a rattle noise coming from the front of the dash near the firewall area I think. As soon as I turn the heaters on the noise goes I turn it of the noise is back. Once the car has warmed up the noise disappears. Is this the oil pump chain iv only owned the car a couple of k miles and theres no history of the chain being replaced engine is a bgb.
Thanks in advance
Ash

97k I started again 2 hours when it was cold and it didn't make a noise

TFSI? Oil pump chain is at the front of the engine, cambelt side. The rattle your hearing is most likely the chain at the back of the engine. (Cam chain)
It happens until the oil pressure builds up. Might be worth getting the pick up pipe replaced if you haven't already. If that doesn't solve it, I would be looking at getting the chain and tensioner replaced.

Yer it's tfsi and iv popped into the local garage for a quote to get them both replaced there using genuine audi parts, there getting back to me tonight what sort of price should I be looking at?
Cheers
Ash

Because inside your fuel cap it tells you so :)

But fuel wont fix your noise. It sounds like chain tensioner on the firewall as craig mentioned.

No I think it's 95, how come should I be using that?
The job all in is around £600 as you need to drop the subframe down and tilt the engine forward to get to it. It's more on a longitudinal set up for this reason.

Just got the quotes back to get the pick up pipe done all parts and labour it's £275
To get chain done all parts and labour is £389
In all I think this is good price so I'll be certainly be getting those done.
Another issue occurred today ****** car is revving on its own on idle. Replaced the clutch switch with one from gsf but still have the problem ordered one from audi today so I'll be replacing on Saturday with genuine part. If this doesn't work what other solutions are there. It revs to about 1800 on idle but when pulling up to lights it gets stuck at 2000 then drops.
Thanks
For the help
Ash

Because inside your fuel cap it tells you so :)

But fuel wont fix your noise. It sounds like chain tensioner on the firewall as craig mentioned.

I was using 95 when I first got my bus....and it was making all the noise symptoms connected to chain malfunction.....even the VAG dealership was convinced it was the chain....then over the weekend when I started using 98.....the noise went away as mysteriously as it arrived......that was 50,000 miles ago!...Never been back either. way.

Hope you get it fixed Mucker,
BR
A

Just got the quotes back to get the pick up pipe done all parts and labour it's £275
To get chain done all parts and labour is £389
In all I think this is good price so I'll be certainly be getting those done.
Another issue occurred today ****** car is revving on its own on idle. Replaced the clutch switch with one from gsf but still have the problem ordered one from audi today so I'll be replacing on Saturday with genuine part. If this doesn't work what other solutions are there. It revs to about 1800 on idle but when pulling up to lights it gets stuck at 2000 then drops.
Thanks
For the help
Ash

PCV Mate,
BR
A

Cheers pal I'll wait until iv used this tank then I'll move over to 98 hopefully this solves some problems don't suppose any one knows how much pcv cost at the dealers. The car wobbles as well when the revs go back down also lumpy.
Cheers

Yeah that sounds like a good price for the lot doing. That's around what I would quote. Yeah as above, try Pcv or the breathers that connect to it. These become brittle and snap/split over time.

I just recently replaced the breather pipe on my vehicle not done to bad for a pipe thats been on the vehicle for 9 years. The plastic itself was brittle and just cracked.

As for the PCV the was around £30 something if I remember correctly

Ok cheers for that ordered new pcv Ill replace that this Saturday hopefully if not I'll try the pipes.
Thanks

Ok cheers for that ordered new pcv Ill replace that this Saturday hopefully if not I'll try the pipes.
Thanks
Ash as above 30 odd quid and half an hour to replace. Goes without saying with all these parts, make sure it a proper VAG part too. Think the latest one is an updated part too. There is a rubber gasket which is seperate if I recall, you Could probably get away without replacing it but it's best to buy it.

Good Luck,
A