2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

So good news Audi and Sytner Slough are covering the full cost of the engine rebuild and repair! Seen a couple of posts about charges for consumption test - I wasn't charged and according to the retailer Audi aren't charging for this any longer... The service advisor was brilliant and very professional - the full rebuild is underway, so now just waiting for a call to say it's done and I'm looking forward to getting the car back...! Faith in Audi restored, although I still think they should be more proactive in contacting owners that may see this issue...

Reactions: silentbrown and scotty76
Hi all. My wifes A1 1.4 tfsi 185 bhp is currently undergoing the consumption test having used a litre in 3 months (about 1200 miles). My previous A4 used about 1 Litre every 800 miles. I went to trade it in and no one other than Audi would touch it. All the others stated the known oil consumption issue to be the reason for either an extremely low trade in offer on indeed refusing to entertain the idea of a trade in. I managed to trade for a Q3 177 Tdi Quattro and got a good price for my old car, so that made me happy. The wife car is currently still under warranty so fingers crossed all will be ok or will be covered by Audi. I cannot believe Audi are not formally acknowledging the issue.

I contacted Audi Customer Services today with regards to a refund or goodwill service for the oil consumption test charges. A new case has been opened as the 'fix' case was closed, so be interesting to see if it's my previous case manager. Let's see what happens this time around...

Reactions: Frenchie66
The resale values have been hit by this problem but I wonder how much a premium there is now on Audi dealer 'fixed cars'?

I have contemplated selling mine privately as its a high spec Black Edition but every time I now drive it I change my mind!

However, I can be persuaded if anyone wants to purchase an immaculate, standard (just detailed) and recently repaired main dealer TFSI. It even has brand new exhaust tips!

Mercedes obviously didn't have a clue because by the time I had finished negotiating the price for the part-ex, they gave me £1k more than I was looking to sell it privately for.

Reactions: Tfsi gone, lgooch, mancdan and 1 other person
Well Crazyfool they probably looked at our threads on the subject and didn't want the aggro!! ;)
Audi CS UK, I will be happy with a new RS4 with a very decent part ex price on this car if your reading.../offering...
Anyone reckon they read these posts? I have my inckling after my conversation on Wednesday with Audi CS that they do!....

So good news Audi and Sytner Slough are covering the full cost of the engine rebuild and repair! Seen a couple of posts about charges for consumption test - I wasn't charged and according to the retailer Audi aren't charging for this any longer... The service advisor was brilliant and very professional - the full rebuild is underway, so now just waiting for a call to say it's done and I'm looking forward to getting the car back...! Faith in Audi restored, although I still think they should be more proactive in contacting owners that may see this issue...
So car back and drives and looks great - fully valleted and a bottle of wine thrown in... Happy days!

Reactions: Crazyfool and Tfsi gone
Glad your experience was a happy one. Mine and plenty of others wasn't! What wine was it anyway ;)
I'd have been lucky to have had a bottle of Lambrini at Cardiff Audi.

Glad your experience was a happy one. Mine and plenty of others wasn't! What wine was it anyway ;)
I'd have been lucky to have had a bottle of Lambrini at Cardiff Audi.
Mike it was a Chardonnay - not bad actually - hope you get yours sorted out soon!! Now the next annoyance with mine is iOS8 and phone book not syncing - don't think my experience is going to be so great with that one though...

dam, people have been getting wine, free services and all sorts, looks like i'm the least favoured Audi customer cos i got nowt! :-(

dam, people have been getting wine, free services and all sorts, looks like i'm the least favoured Audi customer cos i got nowt! :-(
Pm me your address. I will send you a bottle of blue nun down.

I got a bottle of champers at Xmas from the service manager at Stockport as they "lost" my car for 3 days and told me j didn't have an oil consumption issue. 5 months later it's having a rebuild !

Reactions: Tfsi gone
Blue Nun lol. Got any Liebfraumilch in there whilst ur checking ;)
Expecting a call soon from Audi regarding test reimbursements. May ask what the current vintage is...

Reactions: lgooch
lol, ta for the offer but i'm teetotal.
"lost" the car?! Explain!

It took me long enough to get a refund on my rebuild, never mind a free bottle of wine!

new member here...reckon i've got the same problem.using oil.exhaust tips black with soot ,a misfire due to oil in the coils and over spark plugs so undrivable..my first audi ,only had it for 5 weeks
really do not know what to do at this point...
car has not got full audi history,it's a 2010 audi allroad with 79000 on the clock,no warrenty...do i have any chance of getting audi to do the work,or goodwill etc?

do i have any chance of getting audi to do the work,or goodwill etc?
Yes. But did you buy the car from a trader, or privately? If from a trader, you should take it to them before letting Audi do any work on it.

It's bit of an odd situation as Audi will only fix cars for *owners* not traders. So while a trader won't be able to get audi to fix it free, you may be able to.

Even without a full Audi history, they may fix it free or offer goodwill. Proper servicing receipts will be useful. Take it in and ask the dealer what they'll do. Worst that can happen is they say no.

thanks sb.i did get it from a indy trader but the warranty is useless,full of all kinds of loopholes in print,car has to be transported back to them(in this case 120 miles),they choose the garage,max £1000 payout etc. i remember i actually said the warranty was pretty crap..
i am the owner in that the car is bought and paid for,i paid on my debit card,no finance etc.,not sure if that makes any difference at all.

Have no fear you are very well protected by consumer law .

The useless warranty is just a smoke screen masking a dealers true obligations .

lol, ta for the offer but i'm teetotal.
"lost" the car?! Explain!

Booked the car in for the 2nd part of the oil test (results) and the tech initially said on the 1st part of the oil test I needed a new turbo which they had duly ordered in ready.

I expected it to be in for a day.

end of day 1 I was called to say that it passed the oil test (much to my disappointment). when aksed about the turbo I was told I don't know but my notes on the paperwork say it hasn't been fitted but might need a new one in 12 months. I said this was not acceptable as this would mean the car is our of warranty and I would end up footing the bill for something which was clearly faulty or on its way out. She never got back to me.

This was Friday.

Monday I got a call to say my car would be ready soon and its going for an MOT. Er Sorry !!!! My car doesn't need an MOT, in fact it has 6 months left on it. Told me they would get back to me. Heard nothing

Tuesday afternoon I rang them. No call back

I rang an hour later - No Call back.

I rang an hour later and gave the woman on reception one holy hell of a blasting as she told me they couldn't find my car. As soon as I stopped ranting she suggested I get the service manager to call me. MMMM yes I think you should

He called nice as pie and blamed his service advisor for being on holiday to which I replied, your department falls apart because one person is not in. Not good enough. Have you done my new turbo. Ah well it didn't need it so we just tightened up the clips as their is nothing wrong with it.

Went down to pick the car up and as soon as I mentioned my name the woman said the service manager will be right with me. I was ushered away from the other waiting customers and given a bottle of champagne. (I hate the stuff so wrapped it up for the wife for Xmas - bonus). when quizzed what exactly they had done to my car for three days is amounted to an oil change and tightening two clips. All in all an hours work !!!

Absolutely hopeless and never going back again - ever especially after my wheel issues - but that's another story.

Manchester Audi - Much more attentive. Car actually failed the oil test 3 months after and I question the methods used by the other dealership, in fact question whether is was done correctly or even at all !

there endeth the story. Tune in next week for the saga on buckled wheels !!!

Reactions: scotty76 and silentbrown
new member here...reckon i've got the same problem.using oil.exhaust tips black with soot ,a misfire due to oil in the coils and over spark plugs so undrivable..my first audi ,only had it for 5 weeks
really do not know what to do at this point...
car has not got full audi history,it's a 2010 audi allroad with 79000 on the clock,no warrenty...do i have any chance of getting audi to do the work,or goodwill etc?
I feel your pain. yet another owner who did not know about the chronic consumption before buying. Not the first and not the last.

Two options - reject the car and simply get your money back from the trader and run a mile from another other petrol 2.0 in 2009-2011 Audi
OR take it to audi and get them to test it (621 miles of driving) and see what kidn of goodwill they will offer. Some have had a right result doing this. If audi don't play ball then it gives you a piece of paper to give to the trader to formally reject the car.

Hope it all works out ok whatever you do. Worst case is it will cost you around £ 5K at Audi to get it fixed or £ 2K for a rebuilt engine off ebay

Tune in next week for the saga on buckled wheels !!!
Can't wait :) My A4 17" wheels are holding up just fine on the sh*te roads around here. Hopefully the S4 18"s will cope too. My previous steer was an X-type 3.0 with wheels apparently made from the same cheese that Audi were using for piston rings.... Three of them cracked, buckled and generally dead within 2 years of ownership.

O.k folks just an update from my initial issues with my 10 plate audi 2.0tfsi..79000
misfire on friday p.m,replaced coils pack,no change,local good mechanic had it today and found one of the spark plugs was totally shot,looks like they were the original plugs!,so looks like the service book has been doctored, he replaced the plugs and car is running fine,checked oil and also fine,has not moved in the past 150 miles,car goes like a rocket and idles perfectly.
it's due to go into audi in two weeks for the inspection service.i will mention the piston issue then and see what they say.

Reactions: ruairi83
O.k folks just an update from my initial issues with my 10 plate audi 2.0tfsi..79000
misfire on friday p.m,replaced coils pack,no change,local good mechanic had it today and found one of the spark plugs was totally shot,looks like they were the original plugs!,so looks like the service book has been doctored, he replaced the plugs and car is running fine,checked oil and also fine,has not moved in the past 150 miles,car goes like a rocket and idles perfectly.
it's due to go into audi in two weeks for the inspection service.i will mention the piston issue then and see what they say.
My car suffered with exactly the same problems before the rebuild was carried out in February.

The misfire wasn't on cylinder 2 was it? That's the common recess for misfiring to occur! Although new sparks certainly help the car to seemingly run fine, the car will definitely misfire again when the contact gets oiled up. Normally occurring in start/stop traffic not motorway blasts. Mine misfired with a new plug fitted on the way home from Cardiff Audi to conduct the oil consumption test...

So, I spoke to a Customer Relations Manager at Audi UK today called Charles.

Good news - With regards to the oil consumption test reimbursement, Audi will be refunding the cost of both tests :) I also enquired about an oil inspection service and he agreed that it should have been completed at the same time as the Piston/Rings rebuild. So he's looking into a service for that also!

Was going to ask about the wine but I prefer a beer and didn't want to take the mick ;)

They still won't admit there's a genuine problem however faith in Audi is slowly being restored...

Well folks as most of you stated previously my 2010 A5 TFSI with 42000 failed the 1st oil consumption test.
Now Audi Belfast are filling out a form to be sent to Audi UK and are recommending that a full piston and rings are change.
They will await a response from Charles Bradly I think it is who Audi UK have appointed to deal with this issue.
So I await a final decision from Audi UK to see who much if anything I will have to put towards the fixing of the car.
I will of course keep you updated.

Good luck Steven. Charles is very helpful and I'm sure you will get a good result from Audi UK!

MikeJ - thanks for the invite to your thread. Actually I had read quite a lot of this before I posted my two penneth worth elsewhere on Audi-Sport.net. In fact over the last few weeks I think I've just about every bit of news on the internet about this subject!
Now I don't have a dog in this fight (I drive a Kia Picanto), I don't have a pathological hatred of Audi drivers, I don't want to be the proverbial wet blanket and I really hope for everyone's sake that Audi's engine rebuild cures this problem once and for all for everyone worldwide.
The thing is, I have a feeling in my bones that after a while, a lot of you folks are going to see the original oil consumption issue return. I only say this because in my opinion, a lot of the things that I think were complicit in causing the original TFSI oil consumption problem will not be addressed by new pistons, new rings and new conrods. I stress again this is just my personal opinion which you're under absolutely no obligation to share.

Only time will tell really.
It's certainly putting me off the idea of buying another VAG car, however I will see how it goes and how things develop...
Audi have certainly changed their stance on repairs and costs in the last few months but I am sure it's due to the imminent release of the new A4 B9 model..

in my opinion, a lot of the things that I think were complicit in causing the original TFSI oil consumption problem will not be addressed by new pistons, new rings and new conrods. I stress again this is just my personal opinion which you're under absolutely no obligation to share.

I'm interested why you think that. The problem is pretty definitely ring-related, and doesn't appear to affect cars from 2012 onwards, so there's obviously a fix somewhere. Ring and piston design have been changed (hence the need for new rods), so the only time I can see the problem reoccuring is if the bores have been damaged before the new pistons etc were fitted.

Yes, eventually, the problem will reoccur, as piston rings do wear over time. But not for a hundred thousand miles or so, I'd hope.

I'm interested why you think that. The problem is pretty definitely ring-related, and doesn't appear to affect cars from 2012 onwards, so there's obviously a fix somewhere. Ring and piston design have been changed (hence the need for new rods), so the only time I can see the problem reoccuring is if the bores have been damaged before the new pistons etc were fitted.

Yes, eventually, the problem will reoccur, as piston rings do wear over time. But not for a hundred thousand miles or so, I'd hope.

Look to the bottom of this page. It explains how I see this problem.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/1-8-tfsi-oil-consumption-test-results.238107/#post-2457321

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b051w062

Fast forward to just before ten mins in. It's 2 months old but since then nearly every 'fix' has been completed relatively free. I know that BBC Watchdog are going to do a report on this soon the way things are developing!

Is this something you have to watch on the 3.0 too ?

Analysis or not guys, there's obviously fundamental floors in both the design with the engine and maybe the oil specification. Maybe we should all go on watchdog and tell Anne...

Is this something you have to watch on the 3.0 too ?
You should be ok mate with the 3.0. Keep an eye on your oil consumption but I don't forsee any problems. You know when there's a problem when the oil warning light comes on every 600 miles and there's anthracite on the drive under your exhaust ;)

Reactions: Fctaff
I'm very interested now still in this subject. This forum is followed world wide not just in the UK. Since I posted the first message we're now at the 14 week mark - nearly 11000 views later and 315 comments!!
I know Audi UK definitely read these and divulge the info to dealers for sure! Anyway keep them coming!... Nearly everyone from this month onwards with the oil problem (May 2015) it's been free.... to fix and diagnose!
I wonder if Audi will refund my grey hairs...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin Finlayson
I'm very interested now still in this subject. This forum is followed world wide not just in the UK. Since I posted the first message we're now at the 14 week mark - nearly 11000 views later and 315 comments!!
I know Audi UK definitely read these and divulge the info to dealers for sure! Anyway keep them coming!... Nearly everyone from this month onwards with the oil problem (May 2015) it's been free.... to fix and diagnose!
I wonder if Audi will refund my grey hairs...

Agreed.. My thread two years ago had a massive response. (Engine rebuild at 68k) the fix in my opinion has worked very well and coming upto nearly 30k since the rebuild with 0% oil consumption. I probably won't have the car at 120+k which will be around the mileage it failed on the old Pistons, but I'm pretty confident this engine could get to 200k with no problems. Mpg has been above 39mpg too on almost every tank too which I'm really happy about. Our other car 2014 golf 2.0gt tdi struggles to get 50mpg far from its 68 official figures. I also had my contribution to my rebuild refunded by audi last month. So two years down I'm happy it's settled, watchdog will be reporting this issue this series.

Reactions: Tfsi gone
Maybe watchdog should look at why the dsg has 100k mile and 10 year cover everywhere else and not the UK also

Maybe I've missed something but have you noticed how utterly silent the mainstream motoring press have been on this issue? WhatCar, Auto Express and Autocar...not one of them seems to have gone out of their way to highlight Audi's problematic engines or championed the rights of the ordinary motorist? You really have to wonder how much these people are in the pockets of the OEMs?
Hat's off to Honest John though who via his advice column has 'told it like it is'...

One thing that has been bugging me is if the original problem was due to worn rings, why would Audi replace the rings, pistons and con rods? Why not just replace the rings?
Well I think I found my answer in another forum...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-B8-5-A4-B8-B8-5-A5&highlight=oil+consumption

The last post is from someone who sounds like an ex-Audi technician who has actually done the job in the past. He says the piston rings (he doesn't specify which ones) are 0.2 mm to 0.5 mm thicker. Obviously the thicker rings wouldn't fit on the old pistons and the new pistons will be fractionally longer which explains the con-rod change.
This makes a lot if sense to me. Thicker rings will give far better sealing. I suspect they have also increased the second and third land depths to retain more oil between rings. If they can seal the cylinder, especially against cylinder-to-crankcase fuel transfer, then things will improve dramatically.
Of course, this is not without cost. Folks who bought their cars to give x fuel economy and y power output will now be getting x minus something fuel economy and y minus something power output because thicker piston rings cause quite a bit more friction. However I would think this is a price worth paying to have a 'normal' car again.