Amber oil light

Audi33

Reaction score
Hello there, i was wondering if you guys could help me out with an issue im having with 2.0tdi BLB engine.

Basically the amber low oil light decided to appear a few weeks ago, as the oil was low which i filled up, at this point it didnt even take half a litre of oil and the level was on max after i finished checking it with the dipstick so i was happy that it was just low oil.

Well this morning the same light appeared again after roughly about 3 weeks, even though i checked the oil about a week ago and all was normal. Checked it once i arrived at work let the car cool down for 2hours n topped it up and the light went.

On my way home light came on again even though the oil was on the right level. What could it be??

Oil level sensor is probably kaput.
Yeah its intermittent, it decided to switch itself off now. Any ideas where i can get hold of one from? Having looked online there are alot of copies about.

Get a genuine one, they are not the cleanest thing to change and you have to get under the car to do it. Do it once and do it with the correct part and it will save you the headache when the pattern one fails, and you have to then get a genuine one and go through all that faffing about fitting it again.
I don't think they cost that much to be honest, probably around £25 iirc.

Before you attempt it though check the wiring that goes to it, the wires broke on mine.

Get a genuine one, they are not the cleanest thing to change and you have to get under the car to do it. Do it once and do it with the correct part and it will save you the headache when the pattern one fails, and you have to then get a genuine one and go through all that faffing about fitting it again.
I don't think they cost that much to be honest, probably around £25 iirc.

Before you attempt it though check the wiring that goes to it, the wires broke on mine.
Yeah having learnt that previously genuine is the way forward. Having a little read online people have said it could possibly be oil sender unit, is that the same or a diffrent type of sensor? Havent come across one at that price. Would be helpful if you could possibly attach a link. Cheers

Call your local TPS on Monday
Called the local tps, they want £86 inc vat. Seen a few on ebay meyle ones going for around £30 with 2 years warranty. What would you helpful guys suggest?

Ii've had so much trouble with pattern sensors I gave up and just use genuine. If you plan on keeping the car for any length of time then just buy a new one if you plan on selling it in the near future get one from scrapper

Ii've had so much trouble with pattern sensors I gave up and just use genuine. If you plan on keeping the car for any length of time then just buy a new one if you plan on selling it in the near future get one from scrapper
Tbh i wouldnt class the ones off ebay pattern sensors if theyre meyle ones, but the ones with no brands whatsoever i would certainly class them as the pattern sensors.