Stiff Gears

dale86

Reaction score
Hi I'm on my third a4 now and I do like them very much but I have noticed something they have all suffered from. My current model is a 1.9tdi Quattro 6 speed and it is a bit stiff to engage gears when started from cold but does get better when warmed up except first which is a pig and you practically have to stop dead to engage it. My friends a4 is also the same so I was wondering If their is a common problem that someone could point out for me to look at. Thanks

Mine is like this (2.5tdi 6 speed). Im due a gearbox oil change as i have a slight oil leak on mine. Could be worth checking the oil levels in the gearbox and change it while your under the car.

Most 6 speed 01E gearboxes are notchy and there's no syncromesh on 1st and reverse (not enough room due to wide gears) hence the agricultural feel ! However the effect is amplified due to old/thick gearbox oil and worn syncro's or clutch... Best to change the gearbox oil with genuine fluid- it's a bit thinner than what was fitted at the factory and make sure the engin/gearbox mounts are up to scratch, play in these will exacerbate the notchines of the box.

My 5 speed is unbelievably smooth. 188,000 miles, original clutch too. Couldn't believe how smooth the gears were!!

As above, change the gearbox oil. Definitely make sure it's genuine or Fuchs sintopoid. I learnt the hard way...

Sintofluid 75W80
Kinemic Viscosity at 40°C - 49.8 mm²/s

Sintopoid 75W90
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 °C - 86.8 mm²/s

So as you can see Sintopoid 75W90 is almost double the viscosity @ 40°C.

A lower cold viscosity gearbox oil helps with cold shifts and that's why Sintofluid 75W80 works better than a genuine VAG 75W90 and Fuchs Sintopoid 75W90 .

Thanks for the info people I'll do the fluid swap and see what it's like .

Mine feels abit notchy / clunky, im pretty sure its always been like that since I have owned the car (80,000miles) so I think its pretty normal.
The box has done 182,000 - I have changed the box oil twice (Fuchs Sintofluid) to keep things happy.