S3 2009

Reaction score
Hi, been looking at swapping the wife's tts for an s3 (more practical for the little one) and I have a question on spec.

Looking at one I've seen and it doesn't state Bluetooth anywhere but says gsm prep. However it does have the tech pack wth music interface, does that mean it has Bluetooth or does it have to state it?

Bit of a stab in the dark I know!
I can prob find out tomorrow but wondered what people knew!

Just from experience of my own car which has a GSM interface and the MMI audio system there is no bluetooth. You just get a GSM phone port thingy inside the arm rest. To fit Bluetooth you need a add on unit and they are a bit pricey and its a pain in the *** to fit. My S3 is 58 plate so still same version as the 2009 I believe.

I could be totally wrong though so please someone correct me if I am. I'm just sharing what I know from my car.

If the car has phone prep in the armrest the car will 100% have bluetooth. Obviously from pics you can't seem inside the armrest. So another tell sign is if the car has got a shark fin on top then it wil have Bluetooth, unless the car has sat nav as a factory nav fit as this also uses a shark fin but doesn't mean it won't have Bluetooth. As the shark fin is used for Bluetooth and/or sat nav.

Last edited:
This is what my car has in the arm rest and I do not believe it has Bluetooth and I do have the shark fin on top and do have factory sat nav. This looks like the GSM cradle to me.

d81c39e1ff.jpg

So you will have Bluetooth fitted from factory with the cradle in the armrest.

Interesting. Sorry if this is a stupid question but in that case how do I connect up my phone to it?

(Sorry trick971 to kinda hijack your thread but this might help us both :D )

Interesting. Sorry if this is a stupid question but in that case how do I connect up my phone to it?

(Sorry trick971 to kinda hijack your thread but this might help us both :D )
As soon as you turn your ignition on then quickly turn you phones Bluetooth on and it should find it, usually says audi UHV or similar. Obviously select connect and it will ask you for the connection pin, this is always usually defaulted to 1234 or 12345 or 0000 never known it to be anything else once connected you'll hear it ping. You have to be quick as sometimes you only get between 0 and 15mins to connect, although I can still connect upto 30mins after I've been in car.

Hope that helps (easy to follow?)

I got the car at work with me today so will give it a go at lunch. If this works Im getting you and Lewbo a beer if we ever meet! :p

Reactions: S3 AEX
You lot are ****** genious!! IT WORKS!!! (Havent made a call yet but its all synched up :p )

The Audi UHV bluetooth connection didnt appear until I went into TEL > Setup > Telephone settings > Bluetooth PIN entry and then set a default PIN. Then I took the key out, put it back in and turn on ignition and searched on my phone again (Nexus 4) and it appeared, synched up my phone book and showed me signal strength, everything.

Had the car since May thinking I need to get Bluetooth!!! In my defence a friend of mine has the same car (the reason why I bought it) and she had a Parrot installed which lead me to believe there was no Bluetooth.

Thanks again guys.

Told you that would be the case fella. After all this time and you didn't realise you had it haha. Least you now know.

Reactions: Yega
Told you that would be the case fella. After all this time and you didn't realise you had it haha. Least you now know.

Ye I feel like such an idiot, especially as I am into technology and should know this kind of stuff. Seems the garage I got it off from didn't know it had it either and I couldn't tell if I had "phone pre-installation" but clearly I do.

Now to tell my friend and make her realise she spent £400 on the Parrot kit for nothing :p

Reactions: Dan-Jnr and S3 AEX
It's just one of those things, least you now know. I wouldn't of know either when I got my 1st 8P back in 09 but after 6 years of owning 6 8p's and working on a lot of them I know them inside/out haha. Just make sure you break it to your friend gently lol

Hahaha I'll try. Its good to know there is so much experience and knowledge of these car on the forum :)

Is there anyway to disable the connection bing when phone connects to the car? Or at least turn it down a bit.

Is there anyway to disable the connection bing when phone connects to the car? Or at least turn it down a bit.
Not to sure, maybe if you went into the car with vcds you could maybe disable it that way but I'm not to sure. It's something I've always thought of so I'm going to look into that later on, I'll chuck it on the laptop an see what I can find.

Awesome. I got a mate that does all my VCDS stuff so I'll get him change it if its possible.

Yes when the Bluetooth bing comes on, at the same time use the volume wheel on the steering wheel to turn it down.

Yes when the Bluetooth bing comes on, at the same time use the volume wheel on the steering wheel to turn it down.
That doesn't keep the bong noise down tho, you find it goes back to normal the next time you connect up. Just press the speak function on the wheel and say help. Then as functions are being read out turn the volume down an it will save this as your default volume. You still get the bong but not stupidly loud ;)

So tried making a call when I got home from the car to the mrs and it totally worked, perfectly! I recorded her name against the phone book entry so I can just issue a voice command to make the call. Its fantastic! Totally feels like I just got an awesome gift or something :p