Stronic slow paddle upshift

Neil Smith

Reaction score
Morning all,

Still loving the car but just have a little query and thought it best to ask the experts.

Car is a 3.0 TDI Stronic and doesn't have drive select (in case that makes a difference). What I'm finding is there seems to be a delay between me pulling the up-shift paddle or tapping the gear stick forward and the shift happening. The actual shift itself is quick, it just seems to have a little 'think' before doing it. This is when driving either WOT or near enough for it to know which gear I'll be pulling next.

Down-shifts with paddles are instantaneous and when drifting along in 'D' or 'S' in auto mode the gearbox is smooth as silk all the time. Just curious as to whether this is normal. I've just got used to pulling the paddle earlier to get around it.

Also just a general question, are the speed of the gear shifts altered depending on the mode that you are in?(D or S). If so, does this change also apply when you use the paddles in D or S?

Hope that made sense.

Neil

Have you gone beyond the kick down point on the throttle pedal? What might be happening is you are calling for the shift but it won't while you are beyond the kick down point if it "thinks" you will get better acceleration by staying in gear. It will then automatically shift up at the red-line which might be why you think it is delaying the shift (when in fact it's just ignoring you! ;))

If you definitely aren't beyond the kick-down point then it should change up immediately as you say.

On my previous A5 3.0 TDi, 'D' would shift earlier than 'S' but don't think there was any difference in speed or agressiveness of shift.

Hi shrek,

I'm definitely before the kick down switch when using the paddles. I found the kick down switch early last week and it dropped a couple of cogs, redlined then changed up straight away. I've deliberately avoided it since and just flicked the left paddle when required instead. As I said downshifts come immediately.
It's the same with light acceleration too when I paddle up.
Might have to let Audi have a look.

Thanks for your help.

Neil

Just had a drive back to the office and noticed that when I pull the paddle for an up shift, the DIS gear indicator immediately changes to the next number. The revs than drop after this.
On a downshift as the number changes, the revs drop at the same time.
Can anyone else confirm theirs is the same?

Thanks

Neil