New A5 - 2L TFSI Quattro Or 3L TDI Quattro - Advice Wanted

KevG

Reaction score
Hi

I'm planning on trading in my '06 (B7) A4 3L TDI Quattro Cabriolet for a new A5 Cabriolet Special Addition Plus.

At the moment I am leaning towards the 2L TFSI Quattro rather than the 3L TDI Quattro. The reason for this is that the service manager at my local Audi dealer has previously mentioned that due to the driving I am doing the TDI is probably not the right engine due to the DPF. My daily commute to work is approx 18 miles (each way) of A roads and often slow dual carriage ways. I have had the DPF light on my A4 three or four times over the six years I've owned the car but have always managed to solve that with some more aggressive driving.

I love the TDI engine and concerned that the TFSI might be a downgrade which I will live to regret (I plan to have the A5 for a good few years).

I'd love to hear some advice / opinions on how the TFSI compares to the TDI and if I'm just being paranoid about the potential DPF issues.

Thanks
Kev

I can't see you having an issue with the DPF with that kind of daily commute. The newer cars are more fuel efficient so put less soot in the DPF. You should have less issues with the DPF.

Karl.

I previously had the 2.0 TFSI in an A3 and now have the 3.0TDI in the A5. Both Quattro.

I originally said I would never have a diesel but the 3.0 just has so much torque that it's both a fantastic cruiser but will eclipse the 2.0 in a drag race as well.

Given the extra mpg from the 3.0 and the extra tuning potential (see Mr D Storm's thread above) and I would now not go back.

Could I throw in a new debate of Manual vs STronic and run??? :undwech: