Ajs Avant

ajax1976

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a build thread of my avant to save having constant random updates scattered all over the forum, some of you will have probably seen some of my threads. I've just copied and pasted the majority of it from another forum to get it up and running.

Previously had a saloon that did the brakes and various wheels on but really needed an avant
IMG_0602.jpg

PC293130_zps85e84a03.jpg

P4063261.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_1269-1.jpg
[/url]

[url=http://s70.photobucket.com/user/ajax1976/media/IMG_1269-1.jpg.html]

So had a wee jaunt down to Bristol today to pick this up, fantastic condition for the miles it's done, a very well looked after car. Pretty much normal S line spec but with electric sunroof and RNSE with colour DIS. Cloth interior but replacements were purchased last week and all cleaned and sitting in the spare room ready to fit.

Only thing I noticed so far that's needing done is the snub mount, if that's all that's wrong with it I'll be well pleased.

Plans are to swap over my brakes, wheels and some other bits and bobs over from the saloon. Ordered some AP coilovers for it, then its really just find someone to wrap the chrome and maybe a black roof lining and I'll be a happy chappy:)

If it's nice tomorrow I'll get it clean tomorrow and have a good look around the paintwork.

Hit it with snow foam today, paintwork's in pretty decent condition considering it's age and mileage. It needs a proper polish but that'll need to wait until I get the mechanical bits out the way.

Got the interior swapped over and cleaned out, rears don't fit exactly so assuming they came out of a saloon. They look great from the inside but in the boot there's a bit of a gap down the sides and no brackets for the load liner on the rear of the seats, nothing I can't sort out later.

Some pics,

[/url]

Cars looking a bit sad for itself at the mo but making good progress with it, brakes and suspension stripped out. Kind of glad I've jumped straight into this as discovered the rear springs were both broken, common S Line spring issue but at least it made then easier to remove and justification for the coilovers.

Coilovers and brakes on.

Been working on a panel a night, washing, clay, wash then polishing and waxing, it's coming up pretty good. Next up is the chrome to go!!

Went on a 600 mile round trip last weekend to drop off the RS4 seats and buy something a bit more suitable. S4 half leather with alcantara centres in great condition, door cards have puddle lights and illuminated door triggers too which was a nice bonus. They came with carbon inlays that'll I'll probably try and sell on as I've not got the matching bits for the dash.

And fitted

Made a start on loosing the chrome. Picked up a second set of roof rails from ebay and Mikey did a cracking job of powder coating them in satin black for me.

A slow start but makes a small, subtle difference, really like them!!! Next up the window trims.

Window trims done today,

Got round to getting the tips on the exhaust redone much happier with them now. can't recommend the guys at Pipe Dynamics highly enough, top blokes!!

Mikey at Fife Powder Coaters did a fantastic job on my wheels, finish and colour is superb. Had to do a fair bit of tweeking to get them on without scuffing but finally got there. I wouldn't mind a tiny bit lower but can't until I get the front arches rolled although I actually really like the way car sits and more importantly drives now, bit more ground clearance and very comfortable. Really chuffed with how it's turned out, arches filled nicely but without excessive lowering.

Managed to pick up a B7 DTM bumper this week too for a sensible price, need to save up a bit though before I can get the proper grills etc for it and get it on.

Not sure if I'm going to fit the DTM bumper so fired the RS4 grill on and fitted mesh to the fog light grills, wasn't too sure about it but liking it now.

225s have saved the day(and my front arches)!!!!

Finally things are starting to work out, the 225 Falkens have made a massive difference. So much so I've managed to drop it another 20mm and still room for a bit more, got some spacers on and at last I have absolutely no scuffing or scrapping at all. Happy with the front fitment, the rears are needing a bit more spacing. 10s are just too much and 5s I fitted aren't quite enough so got some 8s on their way, hopefully they'll work out perfect. Car drives spot on with no loss in comfort at all, really pleased with it, finally a result.

Also finally managed to get my hands on an avant black headliner with sunroof cover for a sensible price, just got another couple of trim bits to pick up and it'll be time to get it fired in:)

Took advantage of the good weather yesterday and swapped out my tatty grey headlining for a black one. It took me ages to track down a black avant with sunroof one and more so someone who would post it to me!! Not the hardest of jobs but frustrating and time consuming, sunroof sliding cover was the trickiest as the sunroof glass has to come out but I got there in the end. It's probably my favourite mod so far, makes a massive difference to the interior, the grey was really starting to bug me as it tied in with nothing on the car and just looked out of place especially when I looked at exterior pictures.

I've also always fancied black tips on my exhaust but was a bit reluctant to paint it with hi temp paint as it's only months old. I did some research and turns out plastidip has quite a high temp threshold and is ok on tail pipes and back boxes so went for it. Turned quite well and I like it so we'll see how long it holds up, soots up on the inside quickly anyway so not a massive difference.

Cheers guys, As I wasn't getting that much interest in selling the DTM bumper I decided to persevere it. Found the correct carbon splitter for it in Germany so decided it was time for paint, hopefully the splitter will turn up soon and I'll be good to change over. Not going to chop the RS4 grill down to fit yet until I see the bumper fitted and I'm happy with it so I'll stick with the standard one to begin with, gave the chrome surround a quick plastidip tho.

Also did another few bits and bobs this week, mpg has dropped a bit and car was rarely getting up to 90 degrees so changed the coolant sensor and thermostat. Had a bash at the Mr Muscle turbo clean this week too, actually made a big difference, easily the best £1.99 I've spent on the car yet. Got a hell of a lot of crap out of the exhaust on first start up and the actuator moves back and forth a lot smoother now, drives nicer too especially when cold.

Carbon splitter turned up and fitted. Actually in pretty good nick, only really one chip on it that I'll need to epoxy, sand back and polish up.

Spent a few hours today chopping the crappy mesh out of the DTM side grills and chopping down RS4 ones to fit. It'll let me keep my fog lights plus the RS4 mesh looks better than the DTM stuff and it'll match the centre grill. Hopefully get them glued up this week then onto cutting down my RS4 centre grill to fit it.

Well finally got a chance yesterday to get the bumper off the car and swap the RS4 grill for the old S Line one so I could chop it down to fit the DTM. Can't believe how nervous I was chopping down probably the most over priced piece of ****** plastic I've ever bought but quite happy it all went to plan so far.

This is the difference in size between the two, need to cut the bottom section off the SE grill and file away all the tabs left from where the slats joined it.

This will leave you with this, some flexible filler req'd for the holes left at the ends.

Some sanding and some satin black paint as the SE part is different colour to the black Rs4 grill.
Carefully trimmed the RS down to fit the new section then refit the chrome surround to hold it together then some Tigerseal on the joints and where honeycomb meets the new lower section. We'll see tomorrow if Tigerseal was the right thing to use or not!!

Still waiting on the clips for the smaller grills coming from Audi. Also ordered a new set of fogs for it, just need to figure out how I'll mount them as the DTM wasn't designed to have them.

And finally done!! Might hold off fitting for a few months till the weather improves but going to have a wee test sometime though:)

Picked up some carbon interior trims this week and a rear diffuser, got me thinking what bits I could do myself. Skinned bits ages ago for a motorbike I had so decided to do some of the easier bits on the car, picked up a 2nd hand set of B pillar covers to start with.

Cheated and used a light spray of carpet glue to dry wrap the cloth then a light coat of resin. Once that's gone off I can trim back the few stray strands round the edges and build up the coats of resin. Then flat it back, wet sand and polish hopefully to a nice flat and gloss finish, that's the plan anyway.

Had a trial fit of the diffuser today and surprisingly it fits well, no real major issues with it. The securing tabs aren't the greatest so will probably bolster them up with a bit Tigerseal here and there.

A wee package arrived from Poland today, FBSW with red stitching.

Cleaned and sanded the bits today, mirror and wiper are good and going to be useable so trimmed and fitment checked.

The dreaded front rings are getting there, still not sure if I'll use them but will persevere. Cleaned them up then gave everything a final coat of resin.

Pretty much ****** off with sanding things now so thought I'd fire the grill together as a reward, rings haven't been cleared yet but rest looks good so very happy so far.

Just need to buy a drivers side mirror then I can push on and get these all finished.

So instead of spending £££s on lowering the kerb and fixing my 2nd drive I decided to spend the cash on these,

Should help with the slight rubbing I get on full lock when turning into the drive:)

Accuair E-Level, twin comps and tank will hopefully be delivered tomorrow, decided on new stuff which burst the budget so I'll have to fit it myself, not looking forward to that.

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5 and ash-k
End is in sight with the carbon, built the bumper back up and remaining few bits are ready for clear coating tomorrow.

Mission complete

That's pretty much me up to date, I'm scared to think how much £££s I've realistically wasted on it but it keeps me happy and occupied. Need to get the carbon bits and bumper on and still got the air ride to install which I'm actually dreading but will potter away with it. Wish I had a double garage to work in but hopefully we'll get some lighter nights and decent weather soon.
Going to see and try on some new wheels tomorrow so perhaps another update tomorrow night.

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, V6 Quatt, dimitar.tuntov.5 and 3 others
well thats a pretty comprehensive write up, top marks for all that work:cool:;), i like the steering wheel too:), whenever i read your updates i allways endup adding more to my hit list....;)

Really interesting read. Car is looking awesome. :) x :kissmyrings:

Thanks, said for ages this forum needs a members motors section but to no avail.
Yeah, wrapped. It's not great job in all honesty but prefer the black so might commit and paint them this year.

Fast becoming one of my favourites mate - love how this has progressed :)

Great looking car, I had a B7 avant before I changed to my B8 3.0 quattro. Where did you get the carbon trim cloth for wrapping stuff? And what resin do you use for the clear coat? Cheers, keep going!

Reactions: ash-k
.....and technique wise, is it similar to laying up GRP , ie stipple the resin into the cloth once cut / shaped over the component being covered ?

Thanks ,

Good stuff looks awesome. Now enoughs enough, get that carbon on the car you know we're all waiting to see that. Go on show that car some valentines love tomorrow :p

Reactions: Sandra
Basically yes but I lay the cloth dry to start with. I use aerosol carpet glue to fix the cloth to the piece, I find it makes it easier to wrap the bits as the cloth doesn't move or slip like it can using the normal method. Once the glues gone off I give it a thin coat of resin to "set" the piece, once that's gone I trim it, shape it etc then another couple of coats of resin. Best thing I learned is to heat the resin just after coating(only with 2nd+3rd coats) with a hot air gun, this will release all the air bubbles, some of which you can't see but will appear when you sand it back leaving tiny holes. Once you're all resined, flatten it back to a smooth surface, clean then spray the clear. Job done!!
It does take a while and can be frustrating but the majority of mistakes I made were all recoverable, just wasted a bit of time.

I wish I could but really have to crack on with my air ride install, carbon and bumper will have to wait I'm affraid:(. Busy at work too which I hate but it pays for all this so can't complain I suppose, got some holidays soon tho so as long as the weathers good I should make some progress.

Reactions: V6 Quatt, Sandra and gary_a4_quattro
So went to look and try on some new wheels tonight. Quite rare, perfect fitment, less than an hour away, new tyres, reasonably priced and ready to bolt on. I think you know where this going, really looking forward to spring now!!

20" x 8.5j, ET33 and 5x112, basically ready to bolt on with no spacers and clear my big brakes, result!!

Once winters gone I'll lower the car again and think they'll look great.

Think I would prefer the centres a darker shade, light anthracite or similar but will worry about that later.

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, V6 Quatt, Icarus83 and 2 others
Looking sweet mate, where did you get the steering wheel from ? Thought you might have gone for one of these to match the carbon bits :-
[img]

Looks well!! Preferred it on the grey wheels though! Really goes well with the red!

Thanks Craig.
The silver centres are actually even lighter than they look in the pics so think they'll be going a bit darker sometime down the line. I actually posted a photoshop request an hour or so ago to get an idea what they'll be like.

Thanks Craig.
The silver centres are actually even lighter than they look in the pics so think they'll be going a bit darker sometime down the line. I actually posted a photoshop request an hour or so ago to get an idea what they'll be like.

Also where did you get your steering wheel from? It looks very nice! Especially with the red stitching

What size were the other alloys you had on ya car? bye the way im well jell of your car it looks spot on

Ah man this is a lovely example of how good an estate can look. Cracking effort.

Also where did you get your steering wheel from? It looks very nice! Especially with the red stitching

Got it from a guy in the classifieds Craig,

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-a3-a4-a6-custom-flat-bottom-steering-wheel.232636/

Just replied to this, guy will run through the options with you. Can't fault him, the wheel and service are great and cheap. Keeps you updated and sends pics when it's done before its shipped.

Ah man this is a lovely example of how good an estate can look. Cracking effort.

Thanks mate!!

What size were the other alloys you had on ya car? bye the way im well jell of your car it looks spot on

The silver ones I had on the grey car then changed over to the red car? They were 19" Team Dynamics Imolas.

loving this build ! When is the Air getting fitted ?

Cheers Baz, Doing it myself so no idea when I'll get it finished. I've got the power cable run to the boot which wasn't as bad a job as I was expecting and decided on what I want to do with the boot so it's just a case of as and when I get time.

I made a start on base for it all this weekend, want to keep my spare wheel so have built it so the wheel will sit on top and still fit under the floor.

And made up some mounts for the tank.

Reactions: Craig Cull
These are the wheels im talking about m8, what size are these.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424028463089.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424028463089.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 409
Nice set-up. my spare wheel didn't get a look in. Its in the shed. fingers crossed I wont need it !

Iv'e fitted Air to a few of my cars, once you route the power and find a switched 12v source its pretty plain sailing from there.

Ah got Ya' going for the Jumping USA look...nice ;) tks for Enlightening me :)

No jumping with these Air Suspension kits. It's a slow rise and drop to clear speed bumps and steep driveways but still able drive low and park lower - the GIF may have been slightly misleading when it loops !

ah right, so purely for speed bumps etc , was going to post those jumping Yank cars look ****** stupid IMHO but after all work AJ's putting in I did'nt dare LOL ;) can totally "get it" now

Fired the wheel and a matching RS4 perforated handbrake cover on today, both feel great but flat bottom felt a bit weird to begin with.

Also managed to get a bit done with the boot build. I finally decided on tank location, not the prettiest but it'll never be a show car. It still keeps the majority of the boot usable and It shouldn't be in too much of the way when the seats are folded down plus I still have my spare wheel. Just need to try and locate some similar carpet for when it's eventually boxed in.

Also split the Speedlines and dropped off for a slight colour change.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine