Ajs Avant

Bit of a Homer Simpson moment there with the bumper, but those brakes look spot on.

Not really been doing much to the avant recently, just driving and enjoying cleaning it but I have yet again bought some new wheels.
Some lovely 15s

Luckily they came with this,

Reactions: Euans2 and Marc B7
Not really been doing much to the avant recently, just driving and enjoying cleaning it but I have yet again bought some new wheels.
Some lovely 15s

Luckily they came with this,

You scratched that itch then!

had they not heard of car covers or even a big sheet.......looks like that rideonmower get more of a clean than the poor car, hope it cleaned up ok, very nice though.

Quite happy so far, 2 days with DA on the paint and a day on the interior and very happy with the outcome. Few issues to sort but wanted a project and that's what I've got.
These also finally they turned up but not without a screw up, the quattro badge was supposed to have been smoothed out and removed. If I send him another one he's going to re-do it for me. Other than that they are stunning, way beyond my camera skills. Have to admit I am toying with the idea of selling them to fund the coupe project, will fit and enjoy them for a bit first.

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, Jason owen, Greeny233 and 2 others
I think I've seen blue cloth before so yes.

Went to fit them today and the carbon fiasco continues :sob: He's sent me two of the same side rear door trims. I'm just waiting on him coming back to me and blaming me for sending him two of the same, which I know I didn't!!

Reactions: Stanningtonglen and dimitar.tuntov.5
What a pain your having with this carbon stuff, :(
Looks ace tho man, im jelous wish i had the money to have mine done. I do have a full set of wood trim that i took out my advant, maybe one day ill get them done like yours lol

they look so good, i bet you will be glad when it's all sorted and looking at them it will be well worth the wait

22705e8d-fe4b-49ff-9de6-f2dc36e1bcb7.jpg

are these wheels rs4 off a b5 ? as i like them but seem hard to find a good set or find new at all

Reactions: James.c and Charlie Farley
Ajax, I'm surprised you haven't lost the will to live after that carbon saga. At least everyone else will now know to avoid that guy (or they should)

When is quite we have to waiting for something BIG - is it ?
Nothing on here for 2 months ...

Sorry Dimi!! Nothing exciting other than a new battery and a coat of winter wax yesterday. The carbon trim saga is still on going, waiting on the parts he got wrong. Been doing some research into new headlights but tbh the Coupe is taking up most of my time and money, still make time for a wash every week tho.

Reactions: James.c, Jason owen, dimitar.tuntov.5 and 3 others
This thread is truly awesome, just spent the last hr reading. Absolutely cracking car mate, and I love to see people doing stuff themselves.

Sorry Dimi!! Nothing exciting other than a new battery and a coat of winter wax yesterday. The carbon trim saga is still on going, waiting on the parts he got wrong. Been doing some research into new headlights but tbh the Coupe is taking up most of my time and money, still make time for a wash every week tho.
Do you have a thread for your coupe?

22705e8d-fe4b-49ff-9de6-f2dc36e1bcb7.jpg

are these wheels rs4 off a b5 ? as i like them but seem hard to find a good set or find new at all

I still think these were the best you rims you had fitted chap, love the colour, just brill , i would do mine that colour but against a black car they would be just too dark, looked awsome on your red avant.

This thread is truly awesome, just spent the last hr reading. Absolutely cracking car mate, and I love to see people doing stuff themselves.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!! The hands on stuff is where the real fun is:)

Do you have a thread for your coupe?

Not yet Steve, keep meaning to start one but not got round to it yet. I have been taking loads of pictures but mainly to help me put thing back together again!! Unfortunately I bought it at the wrong time of year, getting frustrated that I can't get on with it as much as I'd like.

I still think these were the best you rims you had fitted chap, love the colour, just brill , i would do mine that colour but against a black car they would be just too dark, looked awsome on your red avant.

I did really like the A8s and of the ones I've sold on they are probably the ones I'd buy back if I could.

If you ever decide to sell your avant chap, drop me a line first, it would really match my bikes......also are you doing a classic restoration of the coupe or performing one of your "special restorations" of it in the ajax style, any piccy's yet.

Don't see the avant going any time soon tbh, does everything I need from a car and still makes me smile every time I see it and drive it.

Probably a combination of the two although focusing on doing the basics first.
Got the engine water and oil tight, new radiator, oil cooler, coolant pipes, water pump, thermostat and sump gasket. Front panels cleaned up and repainted so it's looking a lot more presentable under the bonnet.

Now working away at one area that was causing me the most concern, rear end drive train and subframe.

Diff took forever to clean up, oil, dirt and grease all mixed together everywhere but all done now with new shaft oil seals all round and currently in primer just waiting on final top coat. Got lucky with the subframe as it looked 100x worse than it actually was so that's been blasted, zinc primed and powder coated. I'd initially thought the body underneath was in great shape but the exhaust shield was hiding and I think causing a fair bit of corrosion. I'm pretty sure where the aluminium meets the steel it's causing a bimetallic reaction as the rust seems to start around all the mounting studs. That was a horrible couple of days stripping it off but luckily the rust was light enough so I was comfortable just treating it then zinc primering, nice coat of Gravitex then some silver POR15(great paint!!).

Bought some super rare BBS forged wheels, thought I'd won a watch as they were supposed to be the right stud pattern but predictably they weren't the 4x108 I need and turned out to be 4x100. Luckily I'd bought new hubs so took them to work and redrilled and tapped them to 4x100 so I can still use the wheels without shelling out for adaptors.

Just slowly working my way round all the various arms etc cleaning, painting and fitting new bearings, joints and bushes, actually ended up buying a proper hydraulic press as there's that many to do!! Ordered some KW coilovers so hopefully can start rebuilding the rear end soon then on to the front. Still enjoying it but seem to spend more time researching and trying to find parts online than I do actually working on it, luckily I'm in no great rush.

Reactions: Greeny233, DrStrange and Charlie Farley
looks like you are doing a grand gob there ,it's like most classic car projects / restorations ,at the start they seem straightforward, then they can be utter nightmares for a while its just one thing after another, after that it all comes together nicely and you end up with something special, good luck with it chap, and i dont blame you not wishing to part with the avant, if it was mine i'd be the same.

Any updates on either car?

Nothing that exciting, popped a set of 10mm spacers on the front of the B7 and Coupe's still in bits but nearing building back up time soon. My missing carbon bits are supposed to be getting finished up and posted this week but we'll see :cower:

Small update,

Got some headlights on route courtesy of Trups that I'm hoping to put my own touch on.

Carbon saga just might be coming to a close, missing bits are supposed to finished and shipped. Just hope they are right this time!!

Also thinking about a colour change on the OZs but not entirely convinced, considering gold after seeing this,

Reactions: Stanningtonglen, DrStrange, nil538 and 2 others
I also think these are the best wheels You have had on Your B7!
Actualy I'm so inspired by Ajax that I found a set of these in 19" for my B6 avant, they are reps but in good condition.
Ajax could You please give me a paint code, so I could paint mines exactly the same?

yes , the best choice of all the rims fitted to date, look great in 20" , i am on the lookout for some nice undamaged 19" ones aswell.

Holy smokes I've just read through this from the start and I'm in love with you're avant. Excellent work mate and well done you for having a crack at doing bits yourself

Absolutely fantastic looking B7!! Has given me a lot of inspiration for my own build. Those OZ's & BBK combo is just unbelievable! I love the detail that you've went into in this thread, fair play to you.

Thanks guys!!

Not sure if it's an age eye sight thing or due the Lamin-x on my headlights but been thinking they've been really poor this winter so decided I had to do something. I like the crisp light modern lights give off but never really liked the fish eye xenon thing but had to get over it and got Trups to sort me out with one of his conversions. Obviously my car has no chrome left on it and didn't want to do the laminx thing again so cracked out the paint gun again and got creative. Chrome bits(except reflectors) done in a gunmetal base with blow over of shadow chrome then cleared and both bottom shrouds done in shadow pearl black. Pictures don't do them justice!!

Good clean up then lenses back on and I'll be good to fit.

Reactions: James.c, Charlie Farley, nil538 and 1 other person
Thanks guys!!

Not sure if it's an age eye sight thing or due the Lamin-x on my headlights but been thinking they've been really poor this winter so decided I had to do something. I like the crisp light modern lights give off but never really liked the fish eye xenon thing but had to get over it and got Trups to sort me out with one of his conversions. Obviously my car has no chrome left on it and didn't want to do the laminx thing again so cracked out the paint gun again and got creative. Chrome bits(except reflectors) done in a gunmetal base with blow over of shadow chrome then cleared and both bottom shrouds done in shadow pearl black. Pictures don't do them justice!!

Good clean up then lenses back on and I'll be good to fit.

they look first rate chap and too your normal high standard......as for your eyes, well thats an age thing..lol , it happens to us all i'm afraid.

Very nice mate.... Trups projector conversion is a mod I should have had done ages ago and second to none!

Like what you've done with the chrome bits in gunmetal, bet they look top drawer in the flesh

Ajax I've been following a lot of your projects recently and was looking for some advice on a few things, mind if I message you?