How does one align the lights correctly?

necroeire

Reaction score
Recently I installed new bulbs, what a pain. But my lights are not focused properly anymore. Just wondering what is the correct method to do it?
:beerchug:

They aint cheapbulbs are they, not being funny or anything but the beams on cheaper bulbs are often thrown out of driving spectrum range.
Also are they clipped in corrctly and sitting nicely in the bulb holder.

Si

Sounds like you need to compare your new bulbs against the ones you took out, they need to be identical to work correctly, if they are the same then maybe you did not put them in properly

I got Osram Silverstars Link, good bulbs. The problem is when changing the fronts on the A4 the whole headlight unit has to be removed. There are four screws holding them in place so now they are not aligned properly. Just wondering on the procedure for aligning them manually. They are super bright too so I'm worried I'm blinding other drivers.

Found This:

If your headlights don't seem properly aimed or you've installed new headlights, you may want to adjust the alignment of the beams for optimum night visibility.

Choose a location on level ground in front of a blank wall or a garage door. Position the vehicle so it's perpendicular to the wall and about 25 feet back.

Set up a double-crossbar target on the wall, using black electrical tape (figure A). Measure the distance from the center of one headlamp to the center of the other. Use this as the span between uprights of the crossbars. Now measure the distance from the ground to the horizontal midline of the headlight. Let this be the height of the horizontal bar.

With the vehicle 25 feet from the wall and the headlights on low beam and aimed at the crossbars, adjust the vertical and horizontal alignment screws on each headlight until each beam is centered exactly (figure B). You may need to raise the hood to get to the adjustment screws.

Note: This method will give you an approximate adjustment. To have your headlights aligned precisely, take your car to an auto-service center.

DCC101_1ca_d.jpg

Functional and properly aligned headlamps are among the most important pieces of safety equipment on any vehicle. Replacing a burned-out headlamp bulb is an easy fix even for the novice mechanic
DCC101_4fa_d.jpg

Figure A
DCC101_4fb_d.jpg

Figure B

What a nuisance just to change some bulbs, I guess could try that, or go to a local NCT Garage station and see if the guy might do it in there, maybe he will just charge a little but still be cheaper than having had a dealer do it?

Simon

I changed my bulbs a few weeks ago and as long as the main headlamp unit is put back to where it sat previously which should be pretty easy ie flush with bodywork/ grill there should be no issue with the beam as the beam adjusting screws are completely seperate from the actual bolts holding the light in.

I took my car to a friends garage who does mots and got him to check the beam after i replaced the bulbs and eveything was still spot on, I would suggest as previously mentioned that the bulb is actually sitting correctly in the fitting as I imagine even if the beam was out it would not be out my much if fitted correctly, what you describe seems that the beam is way off.