Need help upgrading 2009 a3 from halogen headlights to bi-xenon

King720

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have a 2009 Audi A3 8P 2.0TDI Right hand drive
I've been wanting to upgrade the headlights on my Audi from the regular halogen headlight unit to the bi-xenon with LED DRL for some time but I'm not having much luck finding any headlights on sale or any in a reasonable price range £1000 is way out of my price range for a set and is it a simple job as getting the ballast and adapter for the loom and installing the new headlight or is there more to it?
Many thanks

Do a search, it has to be one of the most discussed topics on this forum.

Hi I've been looking myself and I have the same car as you.
There are DIY kits for around £150 which involve converting the headlight, new ballast etc.
But to do it properly you need to change the whole headlight unit.. I'm speaking to a guy now who supplies and fits these but it will be over £1000.

I'd suggest getting second hand bixenon original headlights from a breakers yard or eBay and contact a guy on this forum with a user name of Ash.
He fitted and coded mine to my 2009 Audi a3.
Expect to pay at least 600£ for the complete headlight with ballast plus another 60£ for the kufatec adaptors the pay someone to fit and codecthem to the car.
Its money well spent and you won't get errors on your dash.

Reactions: Sammyt87
I'd suggest getting second hand bixenon original headlights from a breakers yard or eBay and contact a guy on this forum with a user name of Ash.
He fitted and coded mine to my 2009 Audi a3.
Expect to pay at least 600£ for the complete headlight with ballast plus another 60£ for the kufatec adaptors the pay someone to fit and codecthem to the car.
Its money well spent and you won't get errors on your dash.
I'm currently looking at a pair on eBay hopefully they don't become too expensive, also I can install the headlights and adapters by myself it's just the coding that I'll struggle on as I have no experience in coding or access to a computer that plugs into my OBD

If you have no experience I'll suggest you get someone in the know with VCDS or VAGCOM to fit and code it.
I watched mine whilst it was done and the results are fantastic.
One more thing is to make sure you buy original OEM bulbs as aftermarket ones are not that good.

If you have no experience I'll suggest you get someone in the know with VCDS or VAGCOM to fit and code it.
I watched mine whilst it was done and the results are fantastic.
One more thing is to make sure you buy original OEM bulbs as aftermarket ones are not that good.
The guy Ash that you're talking about you wouldn't happen to be able to direct me to him and surely if I buy a pair of Phillips or Osram bulbs it wouldn't really matter to much