Warranty replacement of rear spring, or not.

Oortam

Reaction score
I put the S3 in for it's first MOT a couple of weeks early so that any faults found would be covered under warranty. It turns out that one of my rear springs was broken very near the end. I was told "no problem it's covered under warranty and we'll change it". I pointed out that springs are normally changed as a pair if one's broken. They told me that Audi recommend springs are changed as a pair but will only replace the broken one under warranty, if I wanted the other one changed as well I'd have to pay for that. So if I asked them to change one broken spring for me they'd advise me to change both, but if they're paying they only change one. Either the recommendation to change both at the same time is false and a money making exercise or it is best practise to change both at the same time but because one isn't broken they use that as an excuse to wriggle out of following their own working practices and the customer is left with a car with suspect suspension. Unless he pays for it himself. I paid for the second spring to be fitted myself by the way as I know what I would do. Vorsprung durch technique!

I don't see why its so important to change both for one faulty spring, but my thoughts are, let warranty cover the one broken spring, and if the other one breaks soon enough, the warranty will change that too

or.... break the other spring, get both changed at the same time ;)

As long as the other one has not settled and the spring characteristics are the same there is no problem changing just one.
ie. rate, turns, wire diameter etc

I would definitely change the other spring as well. With constant use the spring over time will be well fatigued and thus will have settled in height. By putting a new spring on one side and a used one on the other the car will sit uneven thus handling would be affected..Just my opinion;).As for Audi only paying for the one spring I would try and get them to pay for the other one as well stating it is a 'safety matter' for the springs to be a matching pair..If one has failed then surely the other will in a very short time:thumbs up:

Had a rear spring break three months out of warranty on my A3.
Spoke to the local dealer who wasn't even prepared to put a case forward to Audi for me. Told me to contact Audi if I had an issue?
Spoke to Audi direct and was told that both should be replaced at the same time, but Audi where not willing to offer any good will gesture towards it.

Up to that point the car had FASH.

Had to buy the springs from Audi as Sline springs are a dealer only item, and got a local garage to fit the pair for me.

Well done Audi!!

If it's just the end then I wouldn't bother messing around. Let Audi replace the single spring as the other side will go in time. Worst case i think they are only £90 or £110 per spring not the end of the world.