Water inside headlights

Christian gale

Reaction score
Hi all iv just brought myself my 1st Audi a4 b6 avant sport model and i love it but since cleaning my car at the weekend iv noticed alot of water on the inside of the headlights not just condensation but water marks. Is this normal as no matter how long i have my headlights on it wont go away and it looks really poor.

Anyway heres a picture
Hope you can help me out cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 477
You would need to remove the rear cover & have the headlights on, that way they could dry out. With the covers on the lights won't breath & allow the condensation to disperse.

Ok thanks for the headsup so shall i just leave the back cover of for now or will they dry out pretty quick

Ok brilliant il give it ago. How did the water get in there in the 1st place and will it keep coming back?

Hard to say, the glass is bonded to the shell, could be a gap in the seal or maybe those rear covers are not sealing correctly!

Looks like the seal on it has failed. That's condensation, and it's only likely to get worse. You could remove the headlight, disconnect the electrics and wash it in a mild detergent and rinse thoroughly. Dry it with a hairdryer or stick it in the oven at very low temperature. Allow to cool thoroughly to room temperature or you'll introduce condensation again. Using a waterproof mastic, run a bead of sealant around the unit assuming the seal is broken. You can also use a small bag of silica to absorb further moisture behind the bulbs.

Also found this reference regards to worn 'o' ring on self levelling headlight?
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/562449-B6-05-Audi-S4-headlight-heavy-Condensation

I had similar condensation on my driver side headlight,found that one of the bulb covers was missing.Since replacing there have been no more problems.

The covers r on the backs. So i may go with taking them out dry them properly then reseal them with some plumbers gold sealant

Also found this reference regards to worn 'o' ring on self levelling headlight?
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/562449-B6-05-Audi-S4-headlight-heavy-Condensation[/QUOTE]

This is a common problem on Xenon headlights but not as much of a problem on Halogen headlights but this fix only applies to U.S. spec S4 headlights or Bi-xenon headlights. Our single xenon S4, or standard headlights do not have this "o ring", I have the same problem on my S4 headlights although only slight and only on one .You could also try removing the grey plastic vent at the bottom of the headlight, this can sometimes allow them to breath more easily and clear quicker.