Car trouble!

Nmcm

Reaction score
So my car is 1.6 petrol 8p and now it's not running properly. I've no idea what happened, but pulling into a side street at low revs and hear all this metal falling! So I stop and have a quick look around and nothing on the ground. Took the front two wheels off and everything looks connected fine. However as soon as I go above 30-40mph the engine feels like it's bouncing. Any ideas what it could be?

Ok so just took it out again and it seems to be knocking worse when I'm not accelerating

Check the oil, coolant, belts and look for leaks.

Any warning lights?

I would be concerned about the cam belt...

No warning lights, oil and coolant are fine, not sure on the belts! It's going in for a service with Audi on Monday. Anyway to check the belts in the dark?

Only torch really.

I would say that it's running on 3 cylinders due to a misfire but normally though you would get an EPC light and flashing emission control warning if the car misfired. Could check the sparks/coilpacks in the morning. If not see what Audi say...
Does the engine lack power?

It's not suffering from any power loss and seems to idle fine and run ok at low speeds I.e 0-30 mph. Not really clued up on mechanical issues, does the engine need to come apart to check the belts, spark plugs and coil pack?

No the coilpacks and sparks are very easy and quick to check. However without any warning lights will be very difficult to diagnose without vagcom. Could be engine mounts but normally unlikely. You checked the front suspension? Is the car leaning to one side? I had a bmw that snapped a front suspension coil that did similar!

I had both the front wheels off straight after it happened and everything looked like it was fine. Think my best bet is to not drive tomorrow and then on Monday drive like a granny to Audi, see what they say.

Hopefully it's not an expensive issue. Keep us informed..

Ok so had my mechanic uncle have quick look at it. Turns out when I had the wheels off looking for the initial problem, I had put them back on but only fully tightened one! :tan:

So he's going to take it in this week anyway and give it a look over make sure that's all it was!