Actuator gone, no power, DPF fault.

sdutton007

Reaction score
My '58 A3 8P 2.0 CR140 TDI (with Bluefin) has been 100% reliable until a week ago when it came up with error P2563 (Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance) but the car still ran fine. Then 2 days later, the DPF light came on (error P2002) and forced regen doesn't make any difference. Shortly after, the car lost most of it's power.

I've taken it to a couple of garages - the first said (without looking) it would be the DPF being blocked and they would gut the DPF and map it out of my BlueFin.

The 2nd garage put a hand-pump on the actuator - this didn't hold any pressure and they believe the diaphragm is gone so I will need an actuator repair kit. From my research on this forum, this seems to be highly likely so I believe this is the problem.

Can anyone please answer a few quick questions for me?
1) Is the DPF issue likely to be related? (if not, is it likely to be a blocked DPF or faulty sensor?
2) Will it do any damage to keep driving the car gently at <2000RPM.
3) How difficult is it to repair the actuator? (I do a lot of work on cars but never attempted this).
4) If i repair the actuator myself, can I then drive it somewhere to have the "Basic Settings" adjusted in ODIS/VAGCOM/VCDS.

Many thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the glow plug light is flashing constantly (since the original P2563 fault) and that the throttle pedal does nothing after about 25% of the way down.

Last edited:
FYI, here is where they plugged the hand-pump into (where the tip of my finger is):
20150304_173528.jpg

I've not done it myself but it's on my list of things to do along with an egr clean. When I'd looked it up on here it looked an easy enough job to do.

Has your remap got an egr delete ? Did the garage try or suggest a forced regen first? What is the soot level in the DPF? Does the car rev all the way to the redline then only 3k or 2.5k on the second rev?

Terra clean can clean sooty deposits from your fuel system and I'm sure dpf probs sorted with foam from same company try them out .

I'd say you'll need to fix your actuator then do a forced regen.
Since the turbo isn't creating any pressure because the diaphram has failed it won't be able to do a regen and will be creating lots of soot.
I wouldn't drive it until you've got the actuator replaced then once the codes are deleted do a regen and it should be fine.

Cheers guys.

I'm pretty sure that I can replace the actuator myself, but I dont have Vagcom to adjust the "basic settings"?

Does anyone know why "basic settings" have to be adjusted? Repacing a simple actuator should have no effect whatsoever (from my knowledge of turbo petrol cars from the 90s, not the overcomplicated rubbish these days where everything is designed to fail and cost you thousands).

Hi I know it’s an old post but did you manage to fix your problem was it the actuator did you manage to change it yourself I know it’s only 2 bolts is that all it was to get it out ??