Knocking noise and vibration through gear stick

Mattwarren93

Reaction score
Hi guys

Common issues I see from having a search I'm sure I won't be the last to ask any related questions haha

Been having a search through the forum nearly all afternoon to try and solve the issue I have hoping it's not the dreaded flywheel issue.

2005 B7 2.0 TDI 140

Getting a loud knocking noise from the passenger side each time the engine jerks whether it be harsh accelerating or braking let's say. On idle when revving the engine it rocks the car side to side and occasionally feels like it's missing a beat every now and again could it be the engine mount or something related to drive shaft maybe?

As with the gear stick issue 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear in the higher Rev range I get a really bad vibration sound. The rear gearbox mount was loose and the independent garage tightened it up but I'm stumped as to where these noises are coming from..

Independent garage stripped all suspension down thursday and it was fine but it's bsck in on Monday for further investigation I just don't want to start letting the garage strip it apart and incur yet further bills for inspections

Hoping someone could shed some light on this situation for me

Many thanks
Matt

Am no expert but sounds like all the classic symptoms of a f@cked dual mass flywheel.

BR
A

Only had the ****** car 2 weeks it's driving me nuts!!

Only had the ****** car 2 weeks it's driving me nuts!!

I take it you bought it privately?.....sounds like a classic DMF failure, expecially heavy vibration through the first couple of gears......Didn't you notice it at first drive?.....I would have thought the garage would have sussed the fault on a test run...***!

Budget 4-500 quid plus parts, and you should do your clutch while you are at it.....if you plan to keep it....and if the cambelt is due....best sort that out while the front of the car is off ( 4 hours labour at least )..plus water pump of course.....sorry.

BR
A

I take it you bought it privately?.....sounds like a classic DMF failure, expecially heavy vibration through the first couple of gears......Didn't you notice it at first drive?.....I would have thought the garage would have sussed the fault on a test run...***!

Budget 4-500 quid plus parts, and you should do your clutch while you are at it.....if you plan to keep it....and if the cambelt is due....best sort that out while the front of the car is off ( 4 hours labour at least )..plus water pump of course.....sorry.

BR
A

Yes bought it from a trader privately didn't notice it on test drive as I didn't really give it the beans! If I ever want to accelerate hard for overtaking etc I just get a vibration/knocking noise as if something is loose but then the huge knocking noise comes from the passenger side when going over harsh speed bumps. Yes clutch will definitely need doing judders frequently in first and some times struggle to engage first gear

Thanks
Matt

Well a trader is another name for a car dealer who has tucked you up . It's not a private sale .

Get him to fix it or money back .

Get Trading Standards to pay him a visit .

Reactions: Molnboman
I would say almost defineteley a Dual Mass Fly wheel failure.
Typical cost for new a clutch and DMF including labour at in Independent will be circa £850.

I don't know where I stand though as i have signed an invoice that clearly states sold as seen

Reactions: Audi Mick
But he earns his money through car dealing, full or part time , so it's void.

He can't even write Sold as scrap.

He can only sell back to the Trade without obligation.

You have rights.

garage could not find anything wrong with the car and assured me the flywheel and clutch are ok they have advised to take it to audi :( how much would Audi charge to inspect?

What!! .....A decent friendly garage foreman at a VAG garage shouldn't charge you for a diagnosis....I would have thought.....but am not in the UK.

BR
A